Official Thread of the American Athletic Conference

naptownskinsfan

I've been meaning to start this thread for a couple weeks now, considering I am a Navy fan, and that we have a few fans of other AAC teams here on the forum.  So please use this for all AAC team discussions, matchups, etc.  

First big piece of news is that the NCAA approved the conference title game setup once UConn leaves at the end of the year- https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/aac-receives-ncaa-waiver-allowing-conference-championship-games-following-uconn-exit/

• 2 weeks later...

Navy rolled to a victory over UConn tonight 56-10.  Not only did the Mids put up over 400 yards on the ground, but Malcolm Perry threw for 165 yards including a 58 yard touchdown pass.  Perry actually ran the ball for as many yards as UConn rushed for, and eclipsed that mark through the air.  Another great week by Perry, who is doing a damn good impersonation of Keenan Reynolds right now.  I've also complained about the defense, and while they have been suspect against some teams, they put forth a dominant effort today.  

This is a big week for the conference, as the West could be decided with #15 SMU going up against #24 Memphis, with a sold-out crowd at the Liberty Bowl and hosting ESPN"s College Game Day.  SMU may be without star WR Reggie Roberson, who suffered a foot injury in their last game.  SMU is also leveraging a potential spot in a NY6 bowl as they are trying to stay undefeated.  

The American matchups this weekend include

Houston @ UCF 12:00 PM ESPN2

Tulsa @ Tulane 4:00 PM ESPN2

#17 Cincinnati @ East Carolina 7:00 PM CBSSN 

#15 SMU @ #24 Memphis 7:30 PM ABC 

After a great weekend of football for the American conference, they have four teams in the first College Football Playoff rankings 

20.) Cincinnati (7-1)

21.) Memphis (8-1) 

24.) Navy (7-1) 

25.) SMU (7-1) 

It is going to be one heck of a race for the western division, but Memphis controls their own destiny.  

This conference is so underrated.

AAC's 4 ranked teams would arguably all be at least dangerous 2nd tier teams in the P5 conferences. 

UCF is down a bit from previous years, but they're still very solid

Tulane isn't a pushover and made a solid game with Auburn for a good bit early on. 

While they probably lack a conference dominating team (Oklahoma, Clemson), the parity is such that I'm comfortable calling it the hardest conference to control from beginning to end.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Same for me with Navy.  

On a side note, I did find that one year extremely funny that Temple played three games in Annapolis.  There was a great showing for the Military Bowl that year if I recall correctly.  

You know I'm still bitter about? The year Temple went 8-4 and didn't get invited to a bowl, just so some mediocre 6-6 team could make it instead. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

This conference is so underrated.

AAC's 4 ranked teams would arguably all be at least dangerous 2nd tier teams in the P5 conferences. 

UCF is down a bit from previous years, but they're still very solid

Tulane isn't a pushover and made a solid game with Auburn for a good bit early on. 

While they probably lack a conference dominating team (Oklahoma, Clemson), the parity is such that I'm comfortable calling it the hardest conference to control from beginning to end.

UCF is still in the hunt for the eastern division, but they will need some help.  

Tulane was down big to Navy early, and marched back.  Their offense can be scary good.   So far, they've put up the most yards against Navy's defense, and it's not even close- over 120 more than the second-highest team. 

Here is the Week 11 schedule for the American Conference: 

Thursday November 7th 

Temple vs South Florida 8:00 PM ESPN 

Friday November 8th

UCF @ Tulsa 7:00 PM ESPN2

Saturday November 9th

East Carolina @ #25 SMU 12:00 PM ESPNU

UConn @ #20 Cincinnati 3:30 PM CBSSN

Bye Week: #21 Memphis, #24 Navy, Tulane, Houston 

On 11/7/2019 at 9:55 PM, pf9 said:

I still think the American should add Charlotte. They are located in a top 25 market and one that is much larger than that of East Carolina, their prospective in-state rival.

I could see that.  Though my cousin was on the Charlotte staff when they transitioned, and boy it was rough.  

Pretty much if the American loses most of its current members I can see the conference prioritizing schools who were in C-USA prior to 2013. Charlotte, Marshall, Rice, Southern Miss, UAB and UTEP all fit that criterion. The only post-2013 schools I see them targeting are FAU and FIU, if UCF and USF go to the Big 12 (which would in turn end the Florida presence for C-USA, since the only two scholarship FCS schools in the state are Bethune-Cookman and Florida A&M. The latter tried to go FBS over a decade ago but had to back down).

1 hour ago, pf9 said:

Pretty much if the American loses most of its current members I can see the conference prioritizing schools who were in C-USA prior to 2013. Charlotte, Marshall, Rice, Southern Miss, UAB and UTEP all fit that criterion. The only post-2013 schools I see them targeting are FAU and FIU, if UCF and USF go to the Big 12 (which would in turn end the Florida presence for C-USA, since the only two scholarship FCS schools in the state are Bethune-Cookman and Florida A&M. The latter tried to go FBS over a decade ago but had to back down).

Are there rumors of more teams leaving?  It's not something I've heard recently. Marshall would be a good addition.  

Someone brought this up in the GDT yesterday, but UCF is really down this year, especially seeing them in control of Tulsa and allowing them to come back and beat them.  Losing Milton really hurt . 

Also, SMU beating East Carolina in a 59-51 track meet is an interesting game.  East Carolina's offense has exploded over the past two weeks.  Meanwhile, Reggie Roberson was again absent for SMU.  SMU is looking for a showdown with Navy in a few weeks for the second spot in the western division, but Memphis still holds their destiny if they win out 

• Like 1