Who is responsible for Eagles meltdown?

rocky_rams

The Eagles are 3-4 and now face the death row portion of their schedule. 

I had them winning NFC east easily and I had Wentz finishing Top 3 in MVP voting this season. Can’t say that it still can’t happen but it’s looking gloomy 

with such high expectations coming into the season, who shoulders most of the blame for their rapid downfall? 

Is it Pederson? Schwartz and the defense? Wentz? Roseman for not adding more pieces? 

Also, is Pederson still viewed by fans as a top 5-7 NFL coach or has he been downgraded to Jason Garrett territory?

Edited by rocky_rams

3 minutes ago, Dome said:

I don’t know that 3-4 is a meltdown considering the injuries they’ve had. They should’ve addressed those injuries though IMO

Right, I don’t think meltdown is the right word now but I was thinking ahead and looking at their next few games that could still leave them at 3 wins

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eagles $5$ said:

Lol people are acting like we are the Falcons or something... We are one game behind the Cowboys still. 

Missing half of our defense, our best WR, and LT for most of the season so far. We are down to our 4th DT starting at this point. 

Falcons didn’t have a meltdown. They just suck.

If I told you in August that you guys would have a losing record in week 7 you probably wouldn’t believe me. (Especially considering the teams you’ve played)

so it is quite a disappointment since everyone said the Eagles have the most talented roster. 

Trust me, it sucks, I’m right there with you. Our team has underwhelmed too 

• Like 3

Just now, rocky_rams said:

Falcons didn’t have a meltdown. They just suck.

If I told you in August that you guys would have a losing record in week 7 you probably wouldn’t believe me. (Especially considering the teams you’ve played)

so it is quite a disappointment since everyone said the Eagles have the most talented roster. 

Trust me, it sucks, I’m right there with you. Our team has underwhelmed too 

Would you have told me we would have as many injuries as we are having so far??? if so I would actually.

The Falcons, coming into the season had the same kind of expectations. They are just as talented as a roster as the Eagles. They were suppose to compete for the division. Being 1-6 is a meltdown. 

I think the coaching has been bad, that is where you look to point blame first, BUT I also simply think this team's talent was overrated. Injuries aside, so many guys have simply not been as good as advertised. Cox (granted probably not 100%) good not great, Barnett is mediocre, the CBs weren't advertised as great, but it looked like we had a deep group of respectable options, the OL has been good but not great, the entire rookie class has pretty much been a letdown.

Wentz hasn't been perfect, but he's been the bright spot of the offense and it's hard to point at what he is doing wrong (besides Atlanta 1st half..). He is moving as well as he did in 2017, makes beautiful downfield throws, holding onto ball better, rarely misses open WRs, decision making hasn't improved much if at all as he still seems prone to that 1 really dumb throw per game. Maybe he's not throwing to WRs when he should be? Or maybe they're just not getting open. Maybe both. Everyone deserves blame when you're .500, but Wentz is pretty low on the list.

Jason Garrett territory? I've never been as high on DP as others, but that seems harsh. He won a SB a few years ago, won in the playoffs last year. I think it is evident that he is the type of coach who needs to be surrounded by good assistants (which may sound like... "he isn't a good coach" but that is not the case, being able to put ego aside and cover your weaknesses with the myriad of smart minds around football is an important trait), and he/FO didn't do a good job with their post SB hires for w/e reason. He's not a mastermind like BB, Payton or Reid who are always scheming up monstrous offenses/defenses, but he's a good coach I still believe... I can't say my faith in him doesn't waiver a bit after a 27 point beatdown from a rival though.

Our drafting has been really bad. Goes back to Chip Kelly, and Roseman continued the tradition it would seem. The most contributions we're getting from our last 3 drafts is from our 2nd TE, followed by Derek Barnett who IMO has not been very good. That is a huge problem.

I think if you took a poll from Eagles fans the scapegoat ladder would go

1. OC Mike Groh
  2. DC Jim Schwartz (blame the coordinators, as any NFL fan base does)
  3. FO
  4. Doug
  5. Players

I'd say the feel is more that the talent either just isn't there (which is FO's fault) or is not being utilized well (which is coaching). Again, not to say some players haven't disappointed us.

• Like 2

Too many players playing on reputation, not performance. After 2017 I think too many players are comfortable and aren't going all out to win. This is mainly on the coaches and especially Pederson as they should have offloaded a player or 2 no matter who they are if their attitude sucks

Wouldn't call the current situation a meltdown, it's the culmination of injuries, poor coaching and poor drafting. Look at who the Eagles have selected over the past 4/5 drafts, it's not pretty reading. Plus ultimately they've lost part of the braintrust that led to the 2017 Superbowl. The CB situation. Jeez.

With regards to this seasons they could still reach the playoffs as a wildcard/win the NFC East.

The Vikings and Panthers have equally tricky back halfs, whilst the Seahawks have the 49ers twice, @Carolina, vs. Vikings, @Eagles, @Rams. That's 6 tough games of 9 left.

If they can go 2-2 over the next four weeks, preferably beating the Seahawks to add another L to their column, they then get @Miami, vs. Giants, @Redskins and @Giants in 4 of the last five weeks. Wouldn't be surprised if the second Cowboys game either decides the division of their playoff berth. 

On 10/22/2019 at 12:11 AM, rocky_rams said:

The Eagles are 3-4 and now face the death row portion of their schedule. 

I had them winning NFC east easily and I had Wentz finishing Top 3 in MVP voting this season. Can’t say that it still can’t happen but it’s looking gloomy 

with such high expectations coming into the season, who shoulders most of the blame for their rapid downfall? 

Is it Pederson? Schwartz and the defense? Wentz? Roseman for not adding more pieces? 

Also, is Pederson still viewed by fans as a top 5-7 NFL coach or has he been downgraded to Jason Garrett territory?

Your bias is showing. 

8 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

They're an old team lol they're gonna make some trades, the line will start to get, they will get to the playoffs and make some noise.

I don't think they're capable of that this year. They need to have this year be a wash and start building a more stable foundation around Wentz.

Just now, Danger said:

I don't think they're capable of that this year. They need to have this year be a wash and start building a more stable foundation around Wentz.

Whether they are or not remains to be seen Howie is still gonna try. 

Especially, If the rumors of them offering a 1st and aghlor for pp are true as well.