Week 8 - Denver Broncos (2-5) @ Indianapolis Colts (4-2)

lomaxgrUK

Kick Off

ET: 1.00pm
CT: 12.00pm
MT: 11.00am
PT: 10.00am
GMT (:D): 5.00pm

There is probably more intrigue as to the players that are still on the roster come game day than the actual game itself for most Bronco fans, but here are a couple of keys to the game:

Can the Broncos Offense move the ball against a stifling Colts Defense?

The Colts have managed to stop two of the NFLs best Offenses in their two previous games. With star player Darius Leonard back into the lineup and rising star Pierre Desir leading the Defense, it's hard to imagine the Broncos Offense rebounding after one of the Franchise's worst ever Offensive outings.
The Texans really couldn't get anything going on the ground, even with a dual threat QB, so once again the Broncos will have to be able to throw the ball to move the chains.

Can the Broncos stop the Colts on the ground without selling out stop it?

It was clear that the Texans committed extra bodies to stop the run against the Colts. They weren't going to suffer the same 'slow death' that the Chiefs had done the week before. However, Jacoby Brissett answered the call and torched the Texans for 4 TDs and 320 yards. 
The Colts have enough weapons to win in single man coverage even if CHJ is still on our roster. The Broncos are going to have to find a way to stop the run without committing too many bodies to do so.

Annoyingly, Man Utd vs Norwich kicks off 30 mins before the Broncos game so I won't be able to follow the coverage live. Fortunately, this is why I pay £130 a year to have gamepass so I can skip all the breaks to catchup in around the 3rd quarter I imagine.

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 2

I'm going to enjoy watching Quentin Nelson play.   I'm also going to enjoy watching Frank Reich and Matt Ebefleuis coach.   The emerging mastermind HC / DC-next-big-thing.    I have no problem with the progress shown by our coaches, but IND is in an enviable position with Reich as their HC, and GM Ballard.    Elway could learn from Ballard's approach to a rebuild.   

I'm hoping we have a new WR2 and more time for our future CB's, with an extra 2nd + 3rd in hand by then.     On a serious point - I would in no way even consider playing Sanders or Harris if a deal hasn't been reached.   Neither guy is staying, so don't endanger the return on what is a huge seller's market.

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

I'm hoping we have a new WR2 and more time for our future CB's, with an extra 2nd + 3rd in hand by then.     On a serious point - I would in no way even consider playing Sanders or Harris if a deal hasn't been reached.   Neither guy is staying, so don't endanger the return on what is a huge seller's market.

How does Fangio play that to the media and rest of the team though?

3 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

How does Fangio play that to the media and rest of the team though?

Why do you think Klis and Renck are putting out the info on the trade market?  In Klis' case, make no mistake - he's not putting up anything that the FO hasn't vetted. 

At 2-5, the fanbase very clearly understands this is about the future.   If either guy gets hurt, the fanbase would be up in arms over the stupidity.   Klis & Renck's work is very clearly setting up the fanbase for the trade...in which case, no way anyone objects to a gameday inactive. 

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

At 2-5, the fanbase very clearly understands this is about the future.   If either guy gets hurt, the fanbase would be up in arms over the stupidity.   Klis & Renck's work is very clearly setting up the fanbase for the trade...in which case, no way anyone objects to a gameday inactive. 

I understand that but Fangio in camp probably said we're always going to play the best 11 guys to win a football game .

If you were Fangio how would you handle that contradiction. 

14 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Okay fair enough losing a power struggle to break your word is a bad look for a year 1 head coach. I hope it doesn't get to that point.

It's not a bad look at all.  No one is going to begrudge Fangio for having to sit players for the trade deadline - that's Elway's call as GM, 100 percent.   JAX basically did that (although Ramsey forced his hand there too), and no one sees the HC as having lost power.    The GM makes those calls in every org.   The only HC's who have a say usually are de facto GM's (BB, BoB right now in HOU, etc.).  That's clearly not Fangio.

This deadline and offseason is all about Elway and his tenure as GM.   No one will blink at Fangio's role here.

Edited by Broncofan

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

This deadline and offseason is all about Elway and his tenure and GM.   No one will blink at Fangio's role here

Fans and media yes, but i never assume that about a locker room.

That's a slippery slope that I don't wanna go down.

Ramsey made the call not Jax. He made the call for them.

Edited by thebestever6

5 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Fans and media yes, but i never assume that about a locker room.

Players would be the LEAST concerned about Fangio's role.   Harris Jr. wasn't directing heat at his contract at the coaching staff this offseason.  Of all the people, players know exactly who's calling the shots for decisions like that. 

If you mean the players morale after trading guys, well, sure...but that's the business on a rebuilding team.   And frankly, if some of the vets were playing better, Elway wouldn't be selling.  And to be clear...I'm actually happy we're selling, so I'm not putting any blame towards the players, GM Elway owns this result.   But rebuilds go faster the sooner you stop trying to hang on to mediocrity.    Elway needs to change that mindset ASAP. 

But the players get zero sympathy if they have a problem with the sell-off.  We're 2-5, they should be playing their butts off now to ensure they are a part of 2020, or playing for their next contract.    Remember that the players all acknowledged they knew it was a rebuild last year - they're just not making it public knowledge.  This isn't a secret to them.  They absolutely know it's a business, and it's time to move forward no matter who is playing beside them.

Edited by Broncofan