Week 8 - Denver Broncos (2-5) @ Indianapolis Colts (4-2)

lomaxgrUK

Even if we don't trade, it won't be for a lack of trying IMO. I think we're just holding out for a 2nd (+ ??) for CHJ and we may get it, trade deadline deals just come fast and furious, so trying to use the pressure to our advantage. Could also see Gotsis gone, he obviously is not in the Broncos future.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Counselor said:

I honestly don’t see us trading anyone else. The speed with which we were willing to deal Sanders... if we had offers on these other guys by now they would be gone. 

So off base bro Sanders was dealt at that speed because of scheme fit and need that is all.

The transparency of that system made it a quick move bc Sanu was the only other fit.

Edited by thebestever6
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, germ-x said:

I get why Flacco is upset and understand running the ball was pinning it on the defense (which if Von Miller could tackle would’ve worked out perfectly) but I also get not throwing the ball there.  The passing offense is so bad that literally on every drop back I cringe.  Again, Flacco complaining I get, but on the flip side, make some throws Joe and be reliable and it doesn’t make that play call a simple one.

I would understand this theory if we were a good team with playoff aspirations, but we're not. If you have one play to get 5 yards to win the game, you call your best play to get those 5 yards (which isn't a run). Same with the Dolphins going for 2 a couple of weeks ago; it was 100% the correct call. 

I don't know if it is scheme or playcalling, but Hamilton not having a single catch in a game where he's (apparently) the #2 WR is incredibly worrying. Fred Brown looks far more competent out there and he's actually useful on Special Teams too. I am concerned about Hamilton's future with this team.

There can be no doubting that this Offense has been a shambles in the 2nd half of almost all of our games. Does anyone have any stats regarding our 1st and 2nd half performance Offensively thus far?

Edited by lomaxgrUK

4 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I would understand this theory if we were a good team with playoff aspirations, but we're not. If you have one play to get 5 yards to win the game, you call your best play to get those 5 yards (which isn't a run). Same with the Dolphins going for 2 a couple of weeks ago; it was 100% the correct call. 

I don't know if it is scheme or playcalling, but Hamilton not having a single catch in a game where he's (apparently) the #2 WR is incredibly worrying. Fred Brown looks far more competent out there and he's actually useful on Special Teams too. I am concerned about Hamilton's future with this team.

There can be no doubting that this Offense has been a shambles in the 2nd half of almost all of our games. Does anyone have any stats regarding our 1st and 2nd half performance Offensively thus far?

Hamilton’s big knock is that he doesn’t have the tools to separate.  Great technical route runner but no burst / quicks.  That’s certainly what we are seeing.   I suspect he keeps a 2020 roster spot but that’s no lock for sure.  More a reflection of how talent poor our WR pool is. 

As much as Elway’s approach from 2013-7 on Day 2 to go all tools no skills was an absolute killer - it’s actually a better approach for Day 3.   The problem with Day 2 is that he was passing up on guys with safer floors but still had good to very good ceilings.  

Going all skill over tool on Day 3 usually isn’t as successful because usually the ceilings are so low.  Hamilton is a classic example.  I think Bierra, Sam Jones and Fumigali are other examples.  I would love if Elway’s swing for the fences approach return for Day 3.  It was totally wrong on Day 2 but somewhere around Rd4-5 they all become lottery tickets except for a few Devalued positions.  

At least if you hit it’s a much higher return.  Winfree’s injury history is a good example (still a low prob of success but the ceiling is a lot higher).  By Rd5 it’s a total crapshoot except RB/FB/ K-P positions.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I would understand this theory if we were a good team with playoff aspirations, but we're not. If you have one play to get 5 yards to win the game, you call your best play to get those 5 yards (which isn't a run).

Clearly the coaching staff doesn’t believe a pass play is their best play and like I said I don’t blame them.  Personally, I’m far more confident in a critical situation in Lindsay/Freeman picking up 5 yards than I am putting the ball in Flacco’s hands.  Not only does he need to make the right read and get the ball out quickly (something he hadn’t done all game) but he also has no escapability should the pocket break down.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Clearly the coaching staff doesn’t believe a pass play is their best play and like I said I don’t blame them.  Personally, I’m far more confident in a critical situation in Lindsay/Freeman picking up 5 yards than I am putting the ball in Flacco’s hands.  Not only does he need to make the right read and get the ball out quickly (something he hadn’t done all game) but he also has no escapability should the pocket break down.  

I 100% disagree, but that's the beauty of sport.

In that situation, the Colts are sold out for the run; there is probably a less than 5% chance of that run going for 5 yards with an average OL like ours. 3rd and 5 is a perfectly manageable situation for an NFL QB. If the Coaching staff doesn't believe it is then that is an indictment on them as well.

The fact we have lost 2 games already at the death via a last second Field Goal, whilst thinking our Defense could stop them with 2 minutes left makes it an even worse decision.

I wonder if any team in the history of football has lost 3 games in the first half of the season with less than 30 seconds to go, whereby they gave up a personal foul on the game winning drive.

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

would understand this theory if we were a good team with playoff aspirations, but we're not. If you have one play to get 5 yards to win the game, you call your best play to get those 5 yards (which isn't a run). Same with the Dolphins going for 2 a couple of weeks ago; it was 100% the correct call. 

You're an excellent next day of game poster man. It's like you read my scattered mind lol.

Agreed with all your post so far and it's why I have no issues with Flaccos press conference.  We're knocking a guy who wanted the ball in his hands in crunch time. That's what competitors do whether they are passed their prime or not.

25 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I 100% disagree, but that's the beauty of sport.

In that situation, the Colts are sold out for the run; there is probably a less than 5% chance of that run going for 5 yards with an average OL like ours. 3rd and 5 is a perfectly manageable situation for an NFL QB. If the Coaching staff doesn't believe it is then that is an indictment on them as well.

The fact we have lost 2 games already at the death via a last second Field Goal, whilst thinking our Defense could stop them with 2 minutes left makes it an even worse decision.

I wonder if any team in the history of football has lost 3 games in the first half of the season with less than 30 seconds to go, whereby they gave up a personal foul on the game winning drive.

Don’t get me wrong, 9 times out of 10 I would prefer to throw the ball.  Flacco was horrendous all game so I don’t completely blame the coaching staff for not putting the ball in his hands.

We wouldn’t even be talking about this decision and am somewhat surprised Von Miller isn’t getting more heat in this forum for missing a tackle on a QB that he had dead to rights.  That was the critical play that ultimately cost this team the win.  That’s a tackle you expect a perennial all-pro to make 10x out of 10.

Edited by germ-x

1 minute ago, germ-x said:

Don’t get me wrong, 9 times out of 10 I would prefer to throw the ball.  Flacco was horrendous all game so I don’t completely blame the coaching staff for not putting the ball in his hands.

We wouldn’t even be talking about this decision and am somewhat surprised Von Miller isn’t getting more heat in this forum for missing a tackle on a QB that he had dead to rights.  That was the critical play that ultimately cost this team the win.

Von Miller is going to be traded in 48 hrs lol imo that's why I'm not killing him.

The point is you're 2-5 go for the gusto with the play call bc there is no tomorrow. If this team was a playoff team I'd get your logic. 

In terms of running the ball vs passing it on 3rd and 5 all I am saying is I get the decision and if they would’ve thrown it I understand that call too.

Whether 2-5 or 5-2 NFL coaches are coaching to win games or put the team in a better position to win games.  At the end of the day there just isn’t any confidence in Joe Flacco and this passing attack and all I am saying is, can you blame them?  Flacco has been terrible, the OL is shaky, and Denver is basically operating with 1 competent receiver in Sutton.  The team chose to go the conservative route and let the defense, who played a hell of a game, come out and hold the Colts off for 1 more series.  It obviously didn’t work, but I understand the logic.

• Like 2

I actually had a good laugh at reading some of the comments on here.

All week people wanted the Broncos to lose this one - and now people are complaining about the loss. I wanted them to win - I want the Broncos to win every single game they play. A day removed from the game I am not too upset with the loss - but I threw a tantrum when the Colts kicked the field goal.

On the winning drive there were two big plays - Von missing the tackle on the first play - that was utterly unforgivable - and Johnson's horse collar penalty on Hines - he didn't need to do it. Those two plays are 50 yards lost.

As for calling a run on 3-5 - I believe it was the right call because of Wilkinson, Bolles, Flacco and a hobbled Risner (coupled with only on WR) - there was way too much danger that the pocket would collapse and Flacco would cough up the ball (as he did on the last play). The defence had been stellar all game - despite mistakes still being made - it wouldn't have been the first time in the last five years that the coaches put the game in their hands.

But mistakes were made throughout the game - e.g. Freeman's drop, the two motion penalties, etc.

So what happens now - I think the coaches are doing a good job - apart from the KC game they have improved every week (and yes - I think there was improvement this week as well). AAA is having a pop off the coaches - but the coaches can only work with the talent they have been given - and on offence it is either very poor or very young.

The blame for this season lays at Elway's (and Ellis) door - four years of poor drafts have hollowed out the squad - overpaying for journeymen QBs (and Osweiler should be included because he would have been here if BOB hadn't outbid Elway) - hiring VJ (disaster written all over it from day one) - on and on.

Elway gets one more shot to get it right - he has 7 picks so far in the first four rounds - he needs to stock up on OL and then find a QB somewhere (and it should be obvious that this is far more difficult than most people think). I would give him two years - find a QB and sort out the roster - but the coaching staff we have should be given at least that much time because I think they are going in the right direction. 

None of this solves the brain fart that is the control of the trust by Ellis.

Edited by jolly red giant
  • Like 1

Wow.  Well that makes Lock IR-return a no brainer.  There are whispers of CJ Beathard trade offer that could be us given SF & DEN’s systems being so mirrored (except for talent lol).   Hopefully it’s nothing crazy I’d rather suffer with Brandon Allen / Lock than give up a real asset for another stopgap.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1