Keep or let go - players with contracts ending in 2020

Danand

We have 2 weeks to take wild guesses to who we are going to resign and say goodbye to halfway into the season. I have taken a look at the players with contracts expiring in 2020. Some of you with better knowledge of contract value and cap implications might be able to put some numbers to the list

1. Jimmy Smith – This one is difficult to gauge for me. I would like Jimmy back on a 2-3 year deal, but for how much? We are getting used to Jimmys contract being a 8-10 games deal, but in most of those games he is incredibly important to the defense and to our ability to blitz the QB and be aggressive

2. Marcus Peters – His play this year may be a factor to whether we keep Jimmy or let him go. If he plays well, my bet would be on Peters who can keep our group young with a veteran in Brandon Carr

3. Willie Snead – This is a toss up to me. I think with his blocking and usual ability to catch he deserves another 2-3 year contract. Also, who should beat him? Chris Moore, Jaleel Scott, Seth Roberts?

4. Anthony Levine – Lock him up for 2-3 more years. I don’t care about he is above 30, he is such a key player on our special teams and does really well in the role he has on defense and doesn’t seem to slow down

5. Michael Pierce – I believe we have seen that Brandon Williams is the most important of the two. I think this is a big guy we let go, and try to keep Williams for a couple of years

6. Patrick Onwuasor – He has seen his stock drastically decline. He got the chance to be the sure fire starter in the middle of the defense and he failed. He seems like a role player on defense, but if he can get back to his play from last year, I think he deserves an extension, but not something big like he was in line for

7. Chris Moore – Returner and core special teamer and #4-5 receiver who can block and catch some balls but doesn’t deserve a larger role. I think Moore is one of those solid players that makes sure our team has a high floor, but also difficult to put a number to, and most likely could be replaced. His versatility is what makes him difficult to replace

8. Matt Judon – This is somewhat easy, if he wants to be paid like he has already said, then we have to let him go. I have not seen a player, edge rusher or not, that we can give such a high contract.

9. Seth Roberts – JAG, I don’t know what it means exactly, but I have seen enough to say that he won’t be a player I would miss. Blocks well in the running game, has a few catches on the year, but how much is those 200-300 yards a year worth?

10. Cyrus Jones – I don’t think he is back. Too much of a liability in coverage, and we can find a returner in the draft or have a Justice Hill learn it

11. Patrick Ricard – Resign him, plays special teams, fullback and backup dline. His versatility is difficult to put a number on, but we will miss him if we let him go

12. Pernell McPhee – Let him finish with us, shouldn’t be too expensive in light of his injury, although he played well before that

13. Josh Bynes – Huge surprise. My bet is he get a short extension prior to the draft, and we then see if w eget something in the draft

14. L.J. Fort – I really like what he has done, and it seems he fit his role perfectly. Could see him extended for a couple of years

15. Brynden Trawick – Out, L.J. Fort takes his spot

16. Jihard Ward – Verdict is still out, but has surprised me so far. Haven’t seen that much of him, but that is on me as he apparently has played quite well

17. Maurice Canady – Gets another shot in training camp, but with his constant soft tissue injuries I can’t see a longer contract for him

18. Matt Skura – This one is difficult, if Yanda retires, we have to potentially replace 3 spots on the interior oline. If Skura leaves and Yanda retires while Bozeman picks up his game, we still have to replace two spots, and I have being thin on the oline. I would actually like to resign him now. Mekari, Powers and Bozeman have not yet shown enough for me to be confident in them as above average starters

19. Zach Sieler – Still too early to tell.

20. Gus Edwards – Deserves to get paid, but what do you pay for a hammer. In his defense, I feel he has put another level to his game. If it works, don’t fix it

Just now, baltimoreRebel said:

Yeah, I don't really like the guy. I'm kind of excited for next year when he's not a Raven. Just rubs me the wrong way in social media. 

What does he do on social media that rubs you the wrong way? I don't follow him. He just seems like a loudmouth

If the Ravens don't make a move to acquire another quality pass-rusher, I would be stunned if Judon isn't re-signed. Yes the team usually lets guys go... but they have cap space next March. Lots of it. DeCosta has said one of his biggest regrets working with the Ravens is letting guys walk in free agency.

Baltimore already has big concerns on the edge. They aren't going to double-down on those issues. Drafting a rookie in the first round would be nice but that's in addition to the group already in place, not just as a replacement for Judon. The team doesn't like relying on rookies that way anyways. Signing someone else in free agency is a possible route but unlikely to me. If they're going to spend big money they will spend it on a known quantity. 

9 minutes ago, Danand said:

What does he do on social media that rubs you the wrong way? I don't follow him. He just seems like a loudmouth

We'll, yes a big loud mouth. 

He let's fans get in his head, he'll call out fans while swearing at them and then apologizing and claiming he's gonna stay "focused" to just do the same thing the next week. 

He's always posting these cytpic tweets and then when a fan asks what's up. He'll say "what, I can't post an emoji??? ". He's a clout chaser when he's already a pro athlete. 

I never liked how his hazing went beyond Marlons rookie year all over Twitter. Just seems like a bully but when he gets it back, he's a sensitive Nancy. That's nit picking but I just don't care for the guy tbh. I honestly love every other Raven. Judon is just a big goof. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

If the Ravens don't make a move to acquire another quality pass-rusher, I would be stunned if Judon isn't re-signed. Yes the team usually lets guys go... but they have cap space next March. Lots of it. DeCosta has said one of his biggest regrets working with the Ravens is letting guys walk in free agency.

Baltimore already has big concerns on the edge. They aren't going to double-down on those issues. Drafting a rookie in the first round would be nice but that's in addition to the group already in place, not just as a replacement for Judon. The team doesn't like relying on rookies that way anyways. Signing someone else in free agency is a possible route but unlikely to me. If they're going to spend big money they will spend it on a known quantity. 

If he's getting in the range of Zadrius or even a couple million less, bye, bye. I'd rather sign another vet and prioritize pass rusher in the draft. 

10 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

As much as I don't like it, I agree. Even if it's just to be 100% sure they have depth and options at the position. They're going to make every attempt to sign him long term. Now EDC will have his limits. As we saw with his break point in negotiations with Mosley, but the smart bet is Judon will be a Raven for a while. McPhee will be resigned too.

I'd be stunned if we bring Judon back. We're not going to give an open market rate deal for an OK OLB. We are buying hard into the invest in secondary and scheme pass rush route. It'd be quite a left turn to pay Judon who will probably get as much or more than Marcus Peters in FA. Everything we've heard and not heard from Judon and the team tells me it's his last year here.

I think Peters is the replacement for Jimmy and that we'll lock him up. Jimmy's lack of availability kills his value, but I still don't think we bring him back, unless Peters walks. Pierce and Peanut have not had the contract years they would have hoped for. We can offer them another prove it year or two, but they can walk if they get something sizable.

Ricard, Skura, Sieler, and Edwards are all going to be RFA's AKA not really free agents. We can easily keep all of them if we want.

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 5

You can only scheme so much pass rush. Maybe if Ferguson eventually shows something this season the team could go into next season with him, Bowser and rookie + other free agent at the edge. I'm not holding my breathe though. Even if the Ravens are investing heavily in the secondary it's hard to see them just shrugging their shoulders at the pass-rush. 

12 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

I'd be stunned if we bring Judon back. We're not going to give an open market rate deal for an OK OLB. We are buying hard into the invest in secondary and scheme pass rush route. It'd be quite a left turn to pay Judon who will probably get as much or more than Marcus Peters in FA. Everything we've heard and not heard from Judon and the team tells me it's his last year here.

I think Peters is the replacement for Jimmy and that we'll lock him up. Jimmy's lack of availability kills his value, but I still don't think we bring him back, unless Peters walks. Pierce and Peanut have not had the contract years they would have hoped for. We can offer them another prove it year or two, but they can walk if they get something sizable.

Ricard, Skura, Sieler, and Edwards are all going to be RFA's AKA not really free agents. We can easily keep all of them if we want.

Then what are the odds we give skura a 2. round tender, Edwards and Ricard a 4. round tender and Sieler a late round tender?