Week 8 GDT - Carolina Panthers at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

Well, that was pretty much as ugly of conditions as you will see but we still got the win. Hard to really evaluate the offense when neither QB threw the ball all that much and Jimmy G was struggling just gripping the ball. Oh well, he along with the offense made enough plays in the 2nd half to win.

On to the red hot Carolina Panthers. They like us also feature a top defense and their pass rush is elite level. IIRC, they are among the leaders in the league in generating pressure with rushing four or less. Their secondary has been ballin all season and they are just a tough team to get much going offensively. It is crucial our run game to be better than it has been the prior two weeks. Obviously no easy task without Juice Check and McGlinchey, but I'm hoping Staley returns this week. 

This was a game I was initially thinking we lose at the end, but I'm changing my mind. I picked against us just a few weeks ago and we pretty much handled the Rams. This team is something special and I think Jimmy G comes up big on 3rd downs again and we grind the Panthers out. Obviously CMC is going to be a tough cover out of the backfield and we will need to stop him, but our defense should be good once again. I've given up on hoping a WR emerges for us and will just let it play out and just hope for the best. I mean Bourne stepped up last week, hopefully someone does this week. Better yet, just hope Kittle is able to break a few big gains as the offense is lacking some explosion in the pass game. 

SF 27 Carolina 16

This would be a rough game for Staley to come back to, their pass rush is legit. Offensively, McCaffrey scares me a bit, but really no one else on that offense is anything we cant handle.  

Ankhello not coming back is fine with me, i would rather him get as close to 100% as possible before he sees the field....and Moseley has been doing a darn good job out there as his replacement. 

Expecting a close, physical game regardless

Niners 17 Panthers 13

GO NINERS!!!

Edited by P_locniners
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

This would be a rough game for Staley to come back to, their pass rush is legit. Offensively, McCaffrey scares me a bit, but really no one else on that offense is anything we cant handle.  

Ankhello not coming back is fine with me, i would rather him get as close to 100% as possible before he sees the field....and Moseley has been doing a darn good job out there as his replacement. 

Expecting a close, physical game regardless

Niners 17 Panthers 13

GO NINERS!!!

Yeah, Ahkello won't return this week and if I had to guess, probably not against the Cardinals either. So he will be back against the Seahawks. Again, that is perfectly fine with the way Moseley has been playing.

It is a rough game for Staley to return, but man will it make our OL better. Having Skule/Brunskill against that pass rush is a scary thought. 

Definitely will be a physical game. I just think we pull away in the 2nd half and our defense holds when the Panthers get in scoring range.

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

You are the Jason La Confora of picking against the Niners!!! Is that like four games you have picked against us?? TB, CLE, LAR and now CAR? 

It's the cross I bear so you guys don't have to. 

Picked us for Tampa I'm pretty sure, but said it was a toss up for the most part and one of those 50/50 type games

if Cam was back this week I’d be a little more worried, but I feel pretty good about DeFo, DeeFo, Armstead, and Bosa getting after Kyle Allen making him reckless. Carolina has serious weapons with Samuel, Moore, and of course Dairy Sanders. 

We’ll see how Sherm handles these quick youngsters, but overall I expect a pretty easy win. 

34-13

6 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I might be crazy but I think this is our toughest game yet.

Totally agree with you. We have to get to Kyle Allen to win. We all know our fears about their pass rush with our o line and fb injuries but I think our d front seven getting to Allen with our own pass rush is the key. 

7 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I might be crazy but I think this is our toughest game yet.

Not crazy. It definitely is. Their defense is fast and opportunistic. This will be a low-scoring, close game. Slowing McCaffrey down is going to be the biggest priority for the defense. The Bucs managed to do it in their first match up and it was game over for the Panthers. 

My prediction: 21-17 49ers

My problem is (and I don't want to get too deep into this because we talk a lot about this on the podcast last night) is that we simply do not match up with them very well right now on the offensive side of the football. 

Getting to Allen is a definite must - dude is a fumbling machine, and getting short fields will be paramount to success in this game. But I think the offense struggles all day. 

Carolina is good, but give up big plays defensively and have a bad run defense. Bradberry leads the NFL in PBUS with 12 and has 3 picks as well. Burns and Addison have combined for 11 sacks. Getting back Staley could be a huge. Run game will be crucial to make the pass game better.

I pick the Niners to win 28-14, but you can hear more on that on the next edition of the 49ers Future podcast.

I know shameless plug