Week 8 GDT - Carolina Panthers at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

7 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yep, and seems like Staley will be back before the Seahawks game as well. Pushing it to hope Mcglinchey returns by then? 

That was his goal game. But I think we can do very well with only  two of the three. Especially if Juice is one of the two. 

Hoping Staley holds up this week with no setbacks. 

4 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

You should read Steve Young's book that came out a couple of years ago. It really sheds light on that entire saga, and in particular what Steve's headspace was at the time. Both players were unfortunately put in an awkward situation by Bill. Steve wouldn't have even gone there (he actually got to pick where he was traded) if he knew that Montana would bounce back from his second back surgery for the 87 season. There wasn't really any animosity between Young, and Montana. Just mutual frustration towards Bill.

Speaking of 1987, Bill just benched Montana in the 3rd because he was just having a bad game. Don't believe it had anything to do with the weather. There was a lot of pressure for Bill to win at the time, and he didn't always get along with owner Edddie Debartolo. With the prospect of a third straight one and done playoff performance looming (especially since the 49ers were clearly the best team in football that year), I think Bill just got desperate. His position as head coach wasn't as secure as Belichick's probably is, and after the Vikings won Walsh was stripped of his team presidency role, and just regulated to coach. Kraft would never do that to Bill B. I'd have to go back and watch the game again, but Anthony Carter having the game of his life is what I think about regarding the loss.

Steve claims in 1988 Bill gave him an opportunity during the season early, because he feels that Bill was trying to make good on his promise of getting him a chance when he was brought over in 1987. Montana, according to Walsh, also got sick during the course of the year, and really didn't get back on track until the final quarter of the season. Even after Montana got hurt in 1990, and was available until later in 1992, Young was still not seen by the public as "the guy". Young got his first MVP in 1992, but after the playoff loss to the Cowboys George Seifert, according to Steve, was keen on starting Montana for next season. Debartolo, Montana, and I guess eventually Seifert eventually felt it was best for everyone if Montana was traded.

An interesting side note is that Steve Young inexplicably resigned with the 49ers after the 1990 season. Apparently he was in talks to go to the Raiders. His father, and his agent thought he should leave San Francisco, but Young resigned with the team, because he just felt where he needed to be.

Sadly, Steve had to deal with the annoying fans up until he won a Super Bowl.

That isn't quite what I have heard. There was some animosity from Montana: A rumored dinner invitation went a little awry when Steve arrived at the Montana home and son asked dad "Isn't this the guy we're supposed to hate?".

12 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

That isn't quite what I have heard. There was some animosity from Montana: A rumored dinner invitation went a little awry when Steve arrived at the Montana home and son asked dad "Isn't this the guy we're supposed to hate?".

Yes, Steve himself mentions this in his book, and on his episode of A Football Life. It's where the story originates. However, that was Montana's young son at the time making a comment based on the outside controversy that Walsh had constructed. Didn't mean that Young and Montana hated each other. Both Montana and Young played plenty of golf together, helped each other out at work, and if you watch any interview from past players that were there at the time, they all claim that there wasn't any beef between the two. Not one. And why would there be? Walsh was the one that put them in this position. You don't invite someone you hate that isn't family to Christmas dinner. Don't believe either one has said a bad thing about one another. 

The only person I remember hearing that claimed there was beef was former Chiefs center Tim Grunhard. However, he was never a 49er, and never stepped a foot in that building. 

There is a book that came out 6 years ago called Best of Rivals by Adam Lazarus. It chronicles the entire relationship between the two players, and essentially clears the air that Montana and Young had an issue with each other. There is a comment/review of the book from Amazon that I think is spot on about the entire myth:

One thing that needs to be cleared up right now, Steve Young and Joe Montana never hated each other in 6 years as teammates and don't now. Was there tension at times? Of course there was. But it was not as bad as some may think. That is entirely the media's fault but the media always wants to sensationalize stories. That's what they do. The book goes into game by game accounts from 1987 on, even following Joe to Kansas City. It covers Youngs 1994 season as well, going into part of 1995 before a very bizarre epilogue. But that aside I recommend this book. It goes back to a period of time unique in NFL history, two hall of fame quarterbacks on the same team and everything that happened during that time. I doubt we will see anything like it again.

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

That was his goal game. But I think we can do very well with only  two of the three. Especially if Juice is one of the two. 

Hoping Staley holds up this week with no setbacks. 

Definitely. We are just so limited offensively with the losses up front and to Juice, getting them back one by one will do wonders for this offense. 

Staley will be needed against Burns for sure, or else it will be a LONG day. Was a limited participant in yesterday's practice, but let's see how his knee/leg held up afterwards. I'm tired of hearing about our players returning from injuries only to have setbacks after a practice or two. 

32 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Definitely. We are just so limited offensively with the losses up front and to Juice, getting them back one by one will do wonders for this offense. 

Staley will be needed against Burns for sure, or else it will be a LONG day. Was a limited participant in yesterday's practice, but let's see how his knee/leg held up afterwards. I'm tired of hearing about our players returning from injuries only to have setbacks after a practice or two. 

I agree it would be great to get Staley back Sunday to go against Burns.

From there, it's interesting. I forget which beat writer said it, but he thought it was more likely Brunskill would remain at RT over Skule to avoid making multiple switches on the line. I don't know that I agree with that, especially given the perfect opportunity to see if Skule can truly be the swing tackle moving forward. He's done as well as can be hoped for on the left side. I would make that move, but I guess we will see. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I agree it would be great to get Staley back Sunday to go against Burns.

From there, it's interesting. I forget which beat writer said it, but he thought it was more likely Brunskill would remain at RT over Skule to avoid making multiple switches on the line. I don't know that I agree with that, especially given the perfect opportunity to see if Skule can truly be the swing tackle moving forward. He's done as well as can be hoped for on the left side. I would make that move, but I guess we will see. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. 

That would actually be disappointing if they leave Brunskill over Skule. And I agree, I would love to see Skule get a shot at RT and prove he can play that position effectively as well. If he does, then we pretty much have two set swing tackles on the roster with him and Coleman, who was supposedly looking good all offseason. Granted, we didn't get to see him in preseason, but the team was very high on him. Amazing that this team is without its top three tackles and still functioning decently. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

That would actually be disappointing if they leave Brunskill over Skule. And I agree, I would love to see Skule get a shot at RT and prove he can play that position effectively as well. If he does, then we pretty much have two set swing tackles on the roster with him and Coleman, who was supposedly looking good all offseason. Granted, we didn't get to see him in preseason, but the team was very high on him. Amazing that this team is without its top three tackles and still functioning decently. 

Well, Coleman is a UFA after the season. If Skule is seen as a swing tackle and with Brunskill able to return on the cheap as a utility guy, I doubt Coleman returns. Could be wrong, especially with the importance of OL depth, but he would be a real luxury at that point. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, y2lamanaki said:

Well, Coleman is a UFA after the season. If Skule is seen as a swing tackle and with Brunskill able to return on the cheap as a utility guy, I doubt Coleman returns. Could be wrong, especially with the importance of OL depth, but he would be a real luxury at that point. 

Ah, didn't know Coleman was a FA but will be interesting to see what happens with him. Maiocco almost always has a good feel on what is going on with the team and what the team thinks of certain players and he has mentioned that they believe Coleman could potentially be one of the starting tackles once Staley retires. Now, this was said before Staley got his extension so who knows now? But clearly the team thinks highly of Coleman. 

2 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Yeah, I don't think that we carry 4 tackles, and at this point, Skule now has starting experience, is cheap and under contract 3 more years. I do think that it's important that he play the right side if he's going to be a swing tackle, so I'm in lock step with you there. 

30 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Ah, didn't know Coleman was a FA but will be interesting to see what happens with him. Maiocco almost always has a good feel on what is going on with the team and what the team thinks of certain players and he has mentioned that they believe Coleman could potentially be one of the starting tackles once Staley retires. Now, this was said before Staley got his extension so who knows now? But clearly the team thinks highly of Coleman. 

I think the Staley extension is why I find it unlikely. Coleman turns 28 next month. That means he'll turn 30 in Staley's final year (presumably) and 31 in his first year as a starter. Age isn't quite as large a problem for OL, but he would by then be 5 seasons removed from being a starter as well at that point. 

And knowing that he would likely spend the next few years as a backup, would he want to re-sign? Or maybe go to a team with issues and see if he can compete for a starting spot on a cheap one year prove it deal?

Jimmy with some semi-cryptic comments about his knee during his presser. Or rather, just a reminder he's still recovering. Nothing serious, but the comments about his knee getting better and better every week was interesting. Less swelling on plane rides. Overall he claimed he's happy with where his knee is at. Obviously, coach Shanahan wouldn't put him out there if his situation was shaky. Both Jimmy and Kyle's pressers were nice to listen to. Someone asked Shanahan about the risk with draft picks, and Sanders being a FA at the end of the year. Essentially responded that it is a risk, but it's also a two way gamble since if a player gets banged up down the road after the trade deadline, they are essentially screwed if they really needed help. Mentioned the situation with Garcon a couple of years back with his neck as a good example. They decided not to pull the trigger for help, and then the next day Garcon had an issue with his neck, and went on IR forcing the team to go eight weeks without another guy they could trade for if they wanted to. Also said the hope for Jalen and Trent to come back has dwindled. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zBY3P-XEmQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbgppveSaRk

Hopefully the trade for Sanders becomes a legendary one like the mid-season swap for Fred Dean. 

Edited by PapaShogun

6 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Jimmy with some semi-cryptic comments about his knee during his presser. Or rather, just a reminder he's still recovering. Nothing serious, but the comments about his knee getting better and better every week was interesting. Less swelling on plane rides. Overall he claimed he's happy with where his knee is at. Obviously, coach Shanahan wouldn't put him out there if his situation was shaky. Both Jimmy and Kyle's pressers were nice to listen to. Someone asked Shanahan about the risk with draft picks, and Sanders being a FA at the end of the year. Essentially responded that it is a risk, but it's also a two way gamble since if a player gets banged up down the road after the trade deadline, they are essentially screwed if they really needed help. Mentioned the situation with Garcon a couple of years back with his neck as a good example. They decided not to pull the trigger for help, and then the next day Garcon had an issue with his neck, and went on IR forcing the team to go eight weeks without another guy they could trade for if they wanted to. Also said the hope for Jalen and Trent to come back has dwindled. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zBY3P-XEmQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbgppveSaRk

Hopefully the trade for Sanders becomes a legendary one like the mid-season swap for Fred Dean. 

He's not trusting his knee yet, which is understandable and common for a QB coming back from an ACL injury. Watson wasn't either until the 2nd half of last season and then he really took off. I'm expecting Jimmy G to get better as the season goes on, and obviously getting Sanders helps him out as well. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

He's not trusting his knee yet, which is understandable and common for a QB coming back from an ACL injury. Watson wasn't either until the 2nd half of last season and then he really took off. I'm expecting Jimmy G to get better as the season goes on, and obviously getting Sanders helps him out as well. 

Maybe? Hard to know unless we're in his body. I think he also said in that interview he's not really even thinking about it. At least during games.