Denver trades WR Emmanuel Sanders to 49ers

RaidersAreOne

11 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Agreed, it was obvious but he fills a significant need and will be great for SF. Perfect fit. I also dont know what your talking about with the draft picks because those draft picks are going to turn into Calvin Johnson and Ray Lewis. 

FWIW, Ray Lewis was originally a pick held by the 49ers. It was traded the year before in the 49ers big move up for JJ Stokes, I believe. So there's some symmetry there. 

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/emmanuel-sanders-6590/

He's a UFA at year's end.   There are no 2020 #'s.  As a 10-year vet, he can only get SF an end-of-5th comp pick as a max, though.  But I suspect with Pettis and Samuel, SF will thank him for this year, and move on.  

Thought I read somewhere his 2020 #s were around 10mil. My bad for not checking it out. Double wrong!

Not sure how that changes my perception of the deal, though.... probably sways it more towards being an overpay... at least in my incorrect initial comment, they had him for an extra year.

5 minutes ago, kramxel said:

Thought I read somewhere his 2020 #s were around 10mil. My bad for not checking it out. Double wrong!

Not sure how that changes my perception of the deal, though.... probably sways it more towards being an overpay... at least in my incorrect initial comment, they had him for an extra year.

Market was set last year with Golden Tate. Very comparable players (and I would use Tate as the contract example for Sanders next season as well; say Manny gets something like 3 years 27-29 million). Tate got pick 88. 49ers pick would be slated to be around that selection as well (say anywhere from 85-90). Given New Orleans, Green Bay and Carolina were in on him as well to some extent, doesn't surprise me that they had to throw in the swap of picks to finish the job. That swap of picks may almost be worth it just to keep him out of those three particular teams hands, to be honest, given they are all NFC contenders like the 49ers. 

55 minutes ago, kramxel said:

46 minutes ago, Forge said:

Market was set last year with Golden Tate. Very comparable players (and I would use Tate as the contract example for Sanders next season as well; say Manny gets something like 3 years 27-29 million). Tate got pick 88. 49ers pick would be slated to be around that selection as well (say anywhere from 85-90). Given New Orleans, Green Bay and Carolina were in on him as well to some extent, doesn't surprise me that they had to throw in the swap of picks to finish the job. That swap of picks may almost be worth it just to keep him out of those three particular teams hands, to be honest, given they are all NFC contenders like the 49ers. 

Two other key differences with Tate:

1.  There is literally no adjustment needed for Sanders to play right away.  

2.  Most importantly, 3 other NFC contenders were vying for Sanders, and the biggest competitor, NO, was desperate for him.  The net effect of SF outbidding NO here is MASSIVE.  Also because NO doesn't have a 2nd round pick, they may not be able to outbid another team for Chris Harris Jr.'s services in their other need area.

SF got their guy, upgraded their O to help JimmyG and Kittle in a MASSIVE way - and prevented their main competition in the NFC from improving.   That's a win-win-win all around.

On paper, it's for sure an overpay.  It wouldn't happen in the offseason, with the draft and FA offering more options for the buyers, but also for sellers to restock if they deal a known quantity.  The market is so seller-friendly right now because the demand >>>> supply of difference-making talent right now.   Good for us....we'll see what it nets us with Chris Harris Jr. next.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2