Denver trades WR Emmanuel Sanders to 49ers

RaidersAreOne

15 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Two other key differences with Tate:

1.  There is literally no adjustment needed for Sanders to play right away.  

2.  Most importantly, 3 other NFC contenders were vying for Sanders, and the biggest competitor, NO, was desperate for him.  The net effect of SF outbidding NO here is MASSIVE.  Also because NO doesn't have a 2nd round pick, they may not be able to outbid another team for Chris Harris Jr.'s services in their other need area.

SF got their guy, upgraded their O to help JimmyG and Kittle in a MASSIVE way - and prevented their main competition in the NFC from improving.   That's a win-win-win all around.

On paper, it's for sure an overpay.  It wouldn't happen in the offseason, with the draft and FA offering more options for the buyers, but also for sellers to restock if they deal a known quantity.  The market is so seller-friendly right now because the demand >>>> supply of difference-making talent right now.   Good for us....we'll see what it nets us with Chris Harris Jr. next.

How much do you think he still has left in the tank? By your comment, I'm guessing a lot, but that is not my perception at all....

10 minutes ago, kramxel said:

How much do you think he still has left in the tank? By your comment, I'm guessing a lot, but that is not my perception at all....

To be transparent, I was one of the DEN fans who thought we should cut bait on Sanders after the Achilles.  Now, there may have been an injury guarantee, so no go.   I didn't think he would come back to even 90+ percent of his past self.  And I'm not sure he's at 100 percent - but he's won on quick moves, and cuts - which the Achilles depends on.

I think he's probably at 90-95 percent pre-injury level - it's just that he was great-not-elite in those areas, so he's good enough now.   I don't know that he's going to keep this level of performance for more than 2019-20, though.  He is 31 now.   The skill level for decline even with his skill set is coming, it's just a matter of when.  It just doesn't appear to be 2019.  I wouldn't feel comfortable signing him to a 3-year deal with 2 guaranteed, though.   Then again, I didn't think he'd be able to come back and play this well - so he may be one of those freak athletic types that can last.  

Either way, I think the move is fantastic for 2019 and SF.   And he'll gather enough interest I think they'll get a 5th comp 2021 added to the formula.  But the odds say he won't stay at this level for much longer.  For 2019 though, he should give exactly what SF needs.

37 minutes ago, kramxel said:

It's really hard to gauge based on what he is working with there. I don't think that he's an all pro level receiver or anything, but I've been impressed with his play for the most part, but I'm also accounting for the injury he had, admittedly,  just from a quality NFL receiver level. He's not a number one or anything, which may hinder him because that is essentially what he is being tasked with doing for SF, but there's no doubt that even in his current incarnation that he is the best receiver on our roster. He's a quality NFL receiver. I don't know that he's anything more than that, but right now, that's a huge boon for us. 

6 minutes ago, N4L said:

@Broncofan are you sure that a player over 30 cannot bring back a comp pick better than a 5th? That doesn't seem right 

It's not age > 30 - it's 10 years of service time.  Renck reported this before the trade... and it was verified by a comp pick guy (can't find the reply but it confirmed).  Harris is only at 9 - so he's safe, BTW.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

It's not age > 30 - it's 10 years of service time.  Renck reported this before the trade... and it was verified by a comp pick guy (can't find the reply but it confirmed).

I believe this also happened with the Steelers and Faneca when he left. Fans expected a 3rd round comp. pick, but got a 5th or worse because of 10 years service time.

• Like 1