DEN trades WR Manny Sanders and 2020 5th to San Francisco for their 2020 3rd & 4th round picks

Broncofan

5 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I get it, from many perspectives, but that would break my heart. CHJ is an all-time great Bronco and I so badly want to see him retire a Bronco.

I also agree with @thebestever6 that the Sanders trade is likely just the first domino to fall. 

Sort of ironic that Sanders goes to the team coached by the guy who should be coaching here. Still say Elways biggest ever mistake was hiring Matt “pour me another drink” Russel’s frat brother instead of a real HC like Kyle. 

Get used to it, though.  Harris' restructure to avoid a holdout after the whole Kareem Jackson signing guarantees that Harris is a UFA - and he wants to play on a winner, and get paid, since he gave DEN a huge discount (and won a ring, so don't shed a tear, but it's his time now, can't blame him).   No team can apply the franchise tag on him.

The only Q is when Harris is leaving.  He leaves now with a much higher pick return, and frankly, we need it.   I want as many Day 2 picks as possible (I'll take Day 1 lol but we won't get it from Harris' rental).   It's not just the picks - but we have the ability to move up in Day 2 and get the WR/ILB talent if we go T Rd1 (I'm assuming Elway won't turn his back on Lock yet, not that I think Lock will show us he's ready - I'm in the @BroncosFan2010 worry camp - but I'm also a realist, in that Lock would have to face-plant hard for Elway to give up after a half-season and the first half on IR).

• Like 1

Just now, thebestever6 said:

7 picks in the first 4 rounds is a great start for building a team. And it's not over yet. 

It's going to be 8 at minimum.  The 6 in Day 1-2 is the key. 

We need the roster talent badly - but we also have to ammo to move up in Day 2 - and it's not nearly as costly as Day 1 move-ups.   Given the strength of the ILB/WR/OL class, that's a recipe for a rapid rebuild.    Elway, stay in 2018-19 mode for Day 2 (but hey, go back to your home run ways for Day 3, OK?  There was nothing wrong before, you've swung too far in safe picks on Day 3, but that's another story lol).

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Get used to it, though.  Harris' restructure to avoid a holdout after the whole Kareem Jackson signing guarantees that Harris is a UFA - and he wants to play on a winner, and get paid, since he gave DEN a huge discount (and won a ring, so don't shed a tear, but it's his time now, can't blame him).   No team can apply the franchise tag on him.

The only Q is when Harris is leaving.  He leaves now with a much higher pick return, and frankly, we need it.   I want as many Day 2 picks as possible (I'll take Day 1 lol but we won't get it from Harris' rental).   It's not just the picks - but we have the ability to move up in Day 2 and get the WR/ILB talent if we go T Rd1 (I'm assuming Elway won't turn his back on Lock yet, not that I think Lock will show us he's ready - I'm in the @BroncosFan2010 worry camp - but I'm also a realist, in that Lock would have to face-plant hard for Elway to give up after a half-season and the first half on IR).

You have to assume that if (when) CHJ leaves In free agency it will be with a nice contract which should return a 3rd round compensatory pick. Thus, Elway shouldn’t move him unless the compensation is 3rd or better or a young starter at a position of need, and player-for-player trades are rare, especially mid season. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

It's going to be 8 at minimum.  The 6 in Day 1-2 is the key. 

At least we are seeing a clear and thought out direction.  2019 is going to produce the core, cornerstone of the franchise. 

And 2020 is going to be reinforcements to add to that core. Get excited. 

2 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

You have to assume that if (when) CHJ leaves In free agency it will be with a nice contract which should return a 3rd round compensatory pick. Thus, Elway shouldn’t move him unless the compensation is 3rd or better or a young starter at a position of need, and player-for-player trades are rare, especially mid season. 

I'm telling you, it's going to be a 2nd in this seller's market.   It would be downright shocking to see CHJ get the same compensation as Sanders.  The impact of an elite CB is way higher than a WR.  And the buyers are calling, not just 1 team.   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Thus, Elway shouldn’t move him unless the compensation is 3rd or better or a young starter at a position of need, and player-for-player trades are rare, especially mid season. 

Look for a 3rd or better plus and expiring contract at wr now that sanders is gone. That's my prediction. 

Pretty thrilled with the compensation we got given the age, injury history, and contract situation. We're setting up pretty well for the 2020 draft which is great to see.

Sanders was a terrific acquisition at the time, and that hasn't changed, but I do think it was probably time to part ways. I got the sense his attitude was changing rapidly, and this was going to pose problems down the road. Good to take care of a guy like that and keep the locker room intact morale-wise.

• Like 2