NE signs DB / ST ace Justin Bethel

Broncofan

Normally a ST ace signing doesn't make headlines.  But I point this out for 2 reasons:

1. BAL released him so they can gain a 4th round comp pick back under the formula.  Also as part of the roster crunch to get Marcus Peters in this past weekend,

2. Of course, NE then picks up a ST upgrade..for free.   How do other teams not realize the value here?  DEN is not a contender.  But I don't get how the other 12-15 teams that are trying for playoffs don't look at their squad and think "maybe I should upgrade our ST play". 

ST is really the unappreciated stepchild of football.  Just another way NE is playing next-level roster management. 

• Like 5

Saints have put great value on STs lately. It didn’t show against the Bears on Sunday but other than that the ST unit has helped win games with the field position battle with conservative Teddy at the helm. 

good pickup by the Patriots.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

^Harbaugh being surprisingly honest about why he was released. When the Titans released Brent Urban we could't keep Bethel without cancelling a FA loss that should net us a 4th round comp pick (John Brown).

Not surprising the Pats would go for him; wish another team did.

And 10-15 other teams that want to contend just let the Pats claim him, and waive a ST guy.   When Harbaugh made it clear it was purely a pick related move (I know ST guys are disposable, but it was a FREE claim by any team..but nope, only NE swooped in).   SMH. 

Agreed, this is a surprise no other teams picked up on this guy but possibly he was having a bad year at corner.  I am not sure did not watch any Ravens games, but great special teams player is never a bad thing but I thought the Patriots already have Ebner as their special teams ace?  

I would have liked the Vikings to pick him up as a corner based on how bad the play has been there for them.  Bethel is clearly better than Scandrick who the Eagles signed but he recent did get cut.  Not many good corners are around often or get good, and Bethel is one of the better ones even if he is on the decline.  Oddly enough the Patriots have the deepest secondary in the NFL and now it is even more deep and talented.

Freaking crazy how good of roster management they have.  Should walk into the Super Bowl pretty easily in the weak AFC.  Ravens are not a huge threat, Colts kind of are but do not have an elite QB and the Bills are a big time threat but Josh Allen might be too erratic passing to be dangerous.  Will see, they would have a much more difficult road if they were in the NFC.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I guess this is a question for the general public:

Would you rather have a 4th round comp. pick, or a top-3 ST's player in the NFL?

It seems like the organization quickly decided in favor of the pick.

You think BAL could have at least called some NFC teams up under the pretext of a trade (and taken a 7th), but also let it be known to said team (s) it was due to roster crunch and pick management.  So it would send him to the NFC.  It's not like NFC teams attend other team's pressers to find this out. 

Crazy part - guess who BAL plays next after the bye?   

Yup....NE.   Bethel knows the D playbook, too.....SMH.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I guess this is a question for the general public:

Would you rather have a 4th round comp. pick, or a top-3 ST's player in the NFL?

It seems like the organization quickly decided in favor of the pick.

As a player are you currently thinking about that 4th round pick or thinking about chasing a SuperBowl this season? 

I'm thinking about currently chasing a SB. I understand the bussiness side of this move, but I would be upset they let me go for a unknown player.

Happy though I got picked up by a TEAM consistently in the race for the MAIN Goal all players want, a SuperBowl. 

Edited by Skins212689

8 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

So not only does NE get another special teams ace, but they get a gut who knows the Ravens defensive playbook and helps them be even more prepared when they play against the Ravens in 2 weeks. Great. 

Lol that's what I was thinking too.