NE signs DB / ST ace Justin Bethel

Broncofan

Didn't like Harbaugh's choice of words. You "had" to release possibly the best ST player around?

Actually, you CHOSE to release possibly the best ST player around, to get that 4th rd pick. Which is logical, but it was a choice not a requirement. 

Curious if the Ravens lose an important game down the road because of a ST coverage mistake...

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, FinSting said:

Didn't like Harbaugh's choice of words. You "had" to release possibly the best ST player around?

Actually, you CHOSE to release possibly the best ST player around, to get that 4th rd pick. Which is logical, but it was a choice not a requirement. 

Curious if the Ravens lose an important game down the road because of a ST coverage mistake...

I'm ignorant on the rule that "forced" this release.

could he have released anyone or did it have to be Bethel?

20 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Normally a ST ace signing doesn't make headlines.  But I point this out for 2 reasons:

1. BAL released him so they can gain a 4th round comp pick back under the formula.  Also as part of the roster crunch to get Marcus Peters in this past weekend,

2. Of course, NE then picks up a ST upgrade..for free.   How do other teams not realize the value here?  DEN is not a contender.  But I don't get how the other 12-15 teams that are trying for playoffs don't look at their squad and think "maybe I should upgrade our ST play". 

ST is really the unappreciated stepchild of football.  Just another way NE is playing next-level roster management. 

he is a 4 year vet and not subject to waiver wire.  How much more is a team going to give him for the last 8 games than the pats are. He is already getting his salary from the Ravens already correct? He was on the opening day roster so his salary is guaranteed.  If I was going to sign somewhere, I would go with the team with a great shot at the SB 

8 minutes ago, patman said:

he is a 4 year vet and not subject to waiver wire.  How much more is a team going to give him for the last 8 games than the pats are. He is already getting his salary from the Ravens already correct? He was on the opening day roster so his salary is guaranteed.  If I was going to sign somewhere, I would go with the team with a great shot at the SB 

Again, though - why I said BAL should have sent out feelers for even a conditional 7th to a NFC team (and attached conditions that likely voided it unless he actually played D).   Maybe they did, and no takers.  But to instead put out that presser...man. 

Edited by Broncofan

11 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Again, though - why I said BAL should have sent out feelers for even a conditional 7th to a NFC team (and attached conditions that likely voided it unless he actually played D).   Maybe they did, and no takers.  But to instead put out that presser...man. 

I don't think we get our comp. pick back if we trade him, but I'm no cap expert.

I still hate that we released such a good player for a late-4th next year AND he gets immediately scooped up by our next opponent.

Just now, Hunter2_1 said:

Is he that good on ST then?

Yeah, he is. Right there with Matthew Slater for sure.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

But if you trade him you lose the 4th rd comp pick. Nobody was going to give a 4th for him. 

13 minutes ago, patman said:

But if you trade him you lose the 4th rd comp pick. Nobody was going to give a 4th for him. 

Fair - but if you send out feelers, you also let the NFC team know he's out there.   NO, LAR, etc.   Maybe they did, maybe they didn't.    

8 hours ago, FinSting said:

Our special teams unit has been consistently a top 3 unit in the NFL since Harbaugh's been here, and we just signed Bethel this past year. I honestly don't think this will even be on our (Ravens fans') minds come late November.

Bethel certainly wasn't a make or break component of that unit, good as he is.