Sam Darnold, “ I’m seeing ghosts

hornbybrown

Is this a big deal or not? I’m kind of on the fence but I definitely think it has the potential to negatively effect him. Rich Eisen (spelling) said it best. This is his butt fumble moment. 

Says a lot about the Jets that they would even let their young QB going up against a D that is playing at a all time great level be miked up. 

also I think very poor judgment on the part of whoever let it air 

A lot of people seem mad that they aired that “Mic’d up” moment....

I for one, don’t care. 

you know you’re mic’d up for broadcast material. Don’t say something you don’t want them to broadcast.

Edited by Dome
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Dome said:

A lot of people seem mad that they aired that “Mic’d up” moment....

I for one, don’t care. 

you know you’re mic’d up for broadcast material. Don’t say something you don’t want them to broadcast.

Isn’t the point of being mic’d up to hear raw emotion. Who wants to hear scripted or filtered crap. A young QB struggling isn’t new, we just don’t hear it or feel it in the moment as they do. 

• Like 4

Yeah, I didn't bat an eye about it. I mean, it's kind of a natural reaction to how the game went, and honestly, it's those kind of comments that I would want to here. The fact that Gase is so up in arms about just screams, "oh no, don't look over here...look over there! yeah! look at that!!! Don't mind this imploding mess right here! it's that! That's what's important". 

It was a real moment. It's not a bad thing. Having it heard by america because he was mic'd up doesn't somewhere change the fact that he said it, thought it, was feeling it. If that being put out to the populace is a major problem for him as a player, than I agree with Dome that he was never going to make it anyway. And the Jets being up in arms about it is just hilarious.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Dome said:

Wanted to add: If Sam is so sensitive that this could affect his career he never would’ve made it in New York anyways. 

I see this side and I definitely see the other side as well though. Having your young franchise QB have something like that aired gives the perception of embarrassment. Mind you, I don’t think he has anything to be embarrassed about. Guys like Warner and Favre have already come out and said they’ve gone through similar feelings. He’s got to have thick skin to survive in the NFL and especially in NY. Learning experience. 

Edited by Ketchup
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fresh Prince said:

This is now where near butt fumble level. I’m sure a lot of qbs that have 4 picks game or really struggle see ghosts also.

I actually thought last night's game was sadder than the Buttfumble game because at least that one marked the nadir of what had been a multi-year decline for Sanchez. Darnold is supposed to be the future of the Jets franchise, and losing a game like that at home on MNF is something that could be emblematic of his entire career if he doesn't bounce back quickly.

I can see why it would be bad taste to air it since it serves no other purpose other then to ridicule him. To be fair he is young QB going against the mastermind so he shouldn't feel so bad about it. To me it was more damning how Gase just left him out there for the wolves to tear him apart and gave him no guidance at all. How about breaking down some coverages on the sideline to ease him rather then just telling him "you are ok"?

Edited by The Third Rider

2 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I'm all for jokes at the expense of the Jets... but I don't get what the big deal is?

That's the thing - it's the Jets who are  making it a big deal, tbh. That's the irony of this in my opinion. You can never stop the trolls out there, but any reasonable mind understands what Darnold was talking about and how bad that performance was and why he said what he did.