Trade Deadline Thread

bigbadbuff

It's not like a lot of teams made a bunch of moves and we were just sitting on our thumbs. The only trade today was a cap dump by the Rams. 

If Green or Von Miller or Bell or someone was moved and the price wasn't bad then I would be upset that we didn't jump in on it. 

The Bills are going to the playoffs and at this rate its a fair bet to say they'll play the AFC South winner. The 53 they have can go in and win that game. 

1 hour ago, soflbillsfan said:

With the position they are in and what is left in the schedule I expect them to be a contender. It only takes one spot to get in and go from there and the idea of bringing in outside talent to win now was a must. Beane and McDermott are in their 3 years of 5 year contracts if they cant make the playoffs now with this schedule then I do not expect more next year. This is literally the easiest schedule the bills have faced in years with an actual decent team. A top 3 defense is being squandered so yes I expected a move to be made and yes I expected them to be a playoff contender. I dont care about next year everyone in here has been saying next year for over 20 years its time to get over the hump and do it now. Its not about making a super bowl discussion its about being in the playoff discussion they are only a game in front for a wild card spot with 5 teams that should be easy wins and a few that will be a bit tougher but all in all a piece or two being added before the trade deadline could have helped out big time. A big targeted wr could have assisted as a safety net for Allen, a DT could have stuffed the run, a pass rusher could have got that game winning sack or stalled drives. A Te who doesnt get called for false start or holding , just one of those key pieces being added could have helped now and in the long run. Now they struggle to say afloat just to eek their way in to the playoffs like 2017 and then not go anywhere, get stuck with 18-22 draft pick is not beneficial in any way over a key player now. 

You bring up the weak schedule. Is beating up on bad teams going to make this team a SB contender? You realize good teams make the playoffs right? Eventually we have to start beating quality teams. Even if we would have brought in a player or stood pat I think we were going to lose in the first round regardless. This team has too many holes to suddenly turn the table and become a true contender. We can sign guys like AJ Green, Melvin Gordon, Yannick Ngakoue in the offseason and not give up a premium pick. In the end I think you and I have differing views on where this team is at the moment. I think they're a ways off and will be ousted in the first round. Adding an impact player this year wouldn't have changed much in my opinion. I am glad we saved our picks and cap space.

34 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

The team was not one player away from a SB run.

Who knows if they are or they are not. I do know this, the team they have now is going to struggle on the road against the colts/texans or ravens in the 1st rd of playoffs like they did with the Jags in 2017. Had they brought in an offensive weapon that can help with the offense maybe they can put more points on the board, had they brought in a defensive player they could get that extra sack or two or stop the run. Like I said a key piece can help out vastly if the right one was brought in. The bills are going to have a mid 1st round pick, I would rather take someone who can impact now and who has been in the league knowing his talents then an unknown that late in the draft. That one key piece could put them in to the 2nd rd of the playoffs or possibly the AFC Championship we have no idea. No matter what the bills still have issues at WR DT Pass Rush this fills a hole now and the future. Bills have 26 mil in cap space and 90 mil next year they are going to have room to fill those holes I would rather it be now then later as they are 5-2 with an easy chance to be 6-3/5-4. Who knows when the bills will be in this position again to be able to take advantage of teams firing off players to start over in the offseason. 

1 minute ago, Billsfaninptown said:

You bring up the weak schedule. Is beating up on bad teams going to make this team a SB contender? You realize good teams make the playoffs right? Eventually we have to start beating quality teams. Even if we would have brought in a player or stood pat I think we were going to lose in the first round regardless. This team has too many holes to suddenly turn the table and become a true contender. We can sign guys like AJ Green, Melvin Gordon, Yannick Ngakoue in the offseason and not give up a premium pick. In the end I think you and I have differing views on where this team is at the moment. I think they're a ways off and will be ousted in the first round. Adding an impact player this year wouldn't have changed much in my opinion. I am glad we saved our picks and cap space.

You do realize the bills have seen the playoffs once in 20 years? So beating on losing teams and making it in the playoffs is a win for any bills fan. I dont care about Gordon adding him would have been a waste, Green is going to get overpaid because your battling it out with other teams services, have you traded for him you could have locked him up with a 3 year deal now rather then overpaying later. Yannick is getting tagged and will either be extended or traded like Clarke was so to say you are going to get him for free is laughable. Giving up a 2nd round pick for Green would be more impactful then what the bills have drafted in that round 3 our of 4 years, darby traded, zay traded, ragland traded. What good is having draft picks if they cant hit on them and use them properly long term? We atleast know what Green is capable of doing. Giving up one draft pick for a guy you know can be impactful now and in the future is well worth the unknown. You do realize that even if they dont hit the superbowl your still bettering the team now and have one less worry in the offseason at that position? 

A trade today would work now to build a future with those guys. Lets say you did get AJ Green today you now have 8 games to build chemistry, and learn the playbook with him before even preparing for the playoffs, then an entire offseason of forming a relationship with the offensive players to be able to have him on the same page week 1 next year. Instead of staying pat waiting until March signing the guy having him  only get limited time to build chemistry in OTA and mini camp and a game at most during preseason. I would be happy to give up that draft pick now to know this guy is going to be able to contribute now and later with Wr corps locked up for the next 2-3 years. 

10 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

You do realize the bills have seen the playoffs once in 20 years? So beating on losing teams and making it in the playoffs is a win for any bills fan. I dont care about Gordon adding him would have been a waste, Green is going to get overpaid because your battling it out with other teams services, have you traded for him you could have locked him up with a 3 year deal now rather then overpaying later. Yannick is getting tagged and will either be extended or traded like Clarke was so to say you are going to get him for free is laughable. Giving up a 2nd round pick for Green would be more impactful then what the bills have drafted in that round 3 our of 4 years, darby traded, zay traded, ragland traded. What good is having draft picks if they cant hit on them and use them properly long term? We atleast know what Green is capable of doing. Giving up one draft pick for a guy you know can be impactful now and in the future is well worth the unknown. You do realize that even if they dont hit the superbowl your still bettering the team now and have one less worry in the offseason at that position? 

A trade today would work now to build a future with those guys. Lets say you did get AJ Green today you now have 8 games to build chemistry, and learn the playbook with him before even preparing for the playoffs, then an entire offseason of forming a relationship with the offensive players to be able to have him on the same page week 1 next year. Instead of staying pat waiting until March signing the guy having him  only get limited time to build chemistry in OTA and mini camp and a game at most during preseason. I would be happy to give up that draft pick now to know this guy is going to be able to contribute now and later with Wr corps locked up for the next 2-3 years. 

I said we can sign those guys, not that we WILL. We could have locked up AJ Green? Who's to say he would have wanted to re-sign? Maybe AJ Green wouldn't give Beane a guarantee on an extension and that was part of the sticking point? He could have bolted and we would have lost a first or second round pick. This team is finally moving in the right direction and seem to be building this team organically, but you want to panic and make short sighted moves? I just don't get it from my perspective. You bring up guys like Darby, Ragland, etc. They were drafted by different regimes. I think Beane is thinking about saving some of the cap room we have to retain players we draft and not make irrational moves. If there wasn't a good deal to be made then I am glad Beane stood pat. We can agree to disagree on this.

Edited by Billsfaninptown
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, soflbillsfan said:

Who knows if they are or they are not. I do know this, the team they have now is going to struggle on the road against the colts/texans or ravens in the 1st rd of playoffs like they did with the Jags in 2017. Had they brought in an offensive weapon that can help with the offense maybe they can put more points on the board, had they brought in a defensive player they could get that extra sack or two or stop the run. Like I said a key piece can help out vastly if the right one was brought in. The bills are going to have a mid 1st round pick, I would rather take someone who can impact now and who has been in the league knowing his talents then an unknown that late in the draft. That one key piece could put them in to the 2nd rd of the playoffs or possibly the AFC Championship we have no idea. No matter what the bills still have issues at WR DT Pass Rush this fills a hole now and the future. Bills have 26 mil in cap space and 90 mil next year they are going to have room to fill those holes I would rather it be now then later as they are 5-2 with an easy chance to be 6-3/5-4. Who knows when the bills will be in this position again to be able to take advantage of teams firing off players to start over in the offseason. 

The bolded kind of answers your own question doesn't it?

No one move today would have guaranteed the Bills a playoff win or even a chance at a SB. Could it have helped? Sure. But far from a sure thing. Look at last year, the Eagles traded a 3rd for Golden Tate a year after winning the Super Bowl. They barely won in the WC round and were eliminated in the Divisional round.  Houston gave up a 4th for Demaryius Thomas and he tore his ACL. 

3 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

The bolded kind of answers your own question doesn't it?

No one move today would have guaranteed the Bills a playoff win or even a chance at a SB. Could it have helped? Sure. But far from a sure thing. Look at last year, the Eagles traded a 3rd for Golden Tate a year after winning the Super Bowl. They barely won in the WC round and were eliminated in the Divisional round.  Houston gave up a 4th for Demaryius Thomas and he tore his ACL. 

Not that I totally agree with Soflbillsfan, but every player acquired either in FA or via the draft comes with a risk of injury or ??? or a possibility that they simply wouldn't be enough to tip the scales. I don't think you can operate with that sort of level of fear. His argument that it would provide us with one less hole to fill later and do it in such a way as to increase familiarity with teammates makes a ton of sense to me. Now, having said that, I still won't back off my past lack of interest in Green. I just don't see him as someone who is worth the risk/purchase price given his age. In short, I don't see him as a #1 receiver 2-3 years from now. Personally, I would have liked to have seen Bell (though I didn't find it likely at all), as he would have been a serious dual threat in both the running and passing games. With no changes to the RB corps, I really want us to use the heck out of Gore now. His age alone tells me that his days are likely numbered, so why not get every yard out of him that we can while he is still able to deliver? Trent Williams would have made me happy, as I still think our OL is quite suspect and I thought maybe he was the most likely splash we would have been able to make. At 31, I think he still has 2 quality seasons left in him and would allow us time to get someone else up to speed. OJ Howard would definitely have been an upgrade if nothing else for the likely drop off in penalties, but I don't exactly see him as a game changer. Darius Slay was the only other player I saw as a realistic upgrade. Webster has gotten pushed around lately and anyone watching tape is likely to try to continue abusing him to get a mismatch. Slay is a proven corner that teams have to respect. The fact that Beane didn't make any moves tells me that asking prices were so high, that Beane simply fet it wiser to keep our draft picks. I might not think it was ideal, but I'll trust him in determining where fair value exists or not. He has certainly proven to focus on getting bang for the buck and I'd have to admit that it seems to be taking us in the right direction. Though disappointed a little today, I still feel comfortable in the strategy our FO has used to get us this far. That strategy doesn't seem broken, so why try to fix it.