How the 2019 Pats Defense Stacks Up (... pretty good)

RandyMossIsBoss

55 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Is the defensive stats inflated by their cupcake schedule? Yes. 

Is it an elite defense nevertheless? Yes. 

For me personally, I'm not saying no but I'm also not ready to say yes.  I just dont know enough given how they've played. I'm not knocking ppl for disagreeing with that.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

For me personally, I'm not saying no but I'm also not ready to say yes.  I just dont know enough given how they've played. I'm not knocking ppl for disagreeing with that.

when will people be ready to say yeah that competition is good enough? I could definitely see people spin it that way that the QBs they will face aren't good either.

EHhLNqYWoAISwti.png

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

For me personally it comes down to how they’ve performed vs the level of competition they’ve played. It’s no secret that they have played against bottom of the barrel offensive units. However, they have absolutely crushed every single one of those offenses which is what good teams do to terrible teams. I think everyone here is waiting for the Pats to slip up but even if they do have a bad game that doesn’t mean that they are not elite. If you look at the 2000 ravens they coughed up 36 points to the Jaguars, the 1985 Bears gave up 38 vs the Dolphins.

17 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

when will people be ready to say yeah that competition is good enough? I could definitely see people spin it that way that the QBs they will face aren't good either.

EHhLNqYWoAISwti.png

I think this upcoming portion of their schedule poses a good measure.

Ravens, Cowboys, Texans, Chiefs, and Bills again. You might be able to argue Cleveland but I'm not going to make that argument.

9 minutes ago, The Third Rider said:

For me personally it comes down to how they’ve performed vs the level of competition they’ve played. It’s no secret that they have played against bottom of the barrel offensive units. However, they have absolutely crushed every single one of those offenses which is what good teams do to terrible teams. I think everyone here is waiting for the Pats to slip up but even if they do have a bad game that doesn’t mean that they are not elite. If you look at the 2000 ravens they coughed up 36 points to the Jaguars, the 1985 Bears gave up 38 vs the Dolphins.

Even if they lose one of their upcoming games that doesnt mean their not an elite defense. I agree with that.

6 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

If there is a relative weakness to this defense, it is its run defense. I think going up against teams like the Ravens, Texans and Chiefs (if Mahomes is healthy) later this year will be a real test in how they can handle a multifaceted rushing offense.

I'm with you. I think they are elite but their stats are definitely inflated by trash opponents. Now if they do the same to the Ravens, Chiefs, & Texans.... Watch out. 

45 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

This is a better comparison:

Season Rating vs Pats Adjusted Season Rating
Allen 80.2 24 92.62
Fitzpatrick 69.4 23.8 88
Faulk 62.4 47.2 68.5
Jones 75 35.2 83.438
McCoy 61 61  
Big Ben 66 65.6 67.4
Darnold 64.7 3.6 99.35

Avg 68.38571429 37.2 83.218

Obviously performances against NE has dragged the ratings down, but only Sam and Josh would have numbers above the league average when adjusted. Takeaway - the teams NE has faced are below average and average at best. The Bills playing weak opponents probably props these stats up as well.

Edited by NJerseypaint

1 minute ago, NJerseypaint said:

This is a better comparison:

Season Rating vs Pats Adjusted Season Rating
Allen 80.2 24 92.62
Fitzpatrick 69.4 23.8 88
Faulk 62.4 47.2 68.5
Jones 75 35.2 83.438
McCoy 61 61  
Big Ben 66 65.6 67.4
Darnold 64.7 3.6 99.35

Avg 68.38571429 37.2 83.218

Obviously performances against NE has dragged the ratings down, but only Sam and Josh would have numbers above the league average when adjusted. Takeaway - the teams NE has faced are below average and average at best. The Bills playing weak opponents probably props these stats up as well.

now you still would have to adjust the same numbers for the Bears.

Just now, SBLIII said:

now you still would have to adjust the same numbers for the Bears.

Agreed - but I'm not doing this breakdown for a full season of play. I'm just pointing out that the comparison isn't very informative because it doesn't take into account opponents and pretty much disregards the era.

We have 4 players with perfect passer ratings this year; 1985 had 0.

The rating range (from PFR) in 2019 goes from 114.3 to 52.0; 1985 is 96.2 to 50.8.

The Pats have an elite defense - but that tweet says nothing.

• Like 1