How do we fix the QB in 2020

WindyCity

I am wondering what people think is the best way to fix the QB spot in 2020 so that we do not totally waste this defenses window.

*Trubisky must be kept because his money is guaranteed, so he will be on the team no matter what.

Option 1: The Veteran Starter

Sign Teddy Bridgewater 4 years 80 million/42 guaranteed [Foles Light] 

Draft a QB in the 5th round

Bridgewater
Trubisky
5th Round Pick

You sign Bridgewater to start. He is smart, accurate and has spent 2 years with one of the best play callers in the league and a HOF QB. Trubisky can compete, but he is starting behind Bridgewater who can run an offense and compliment the defense.

Option 2: The Veteran Competition

Sign  Marcus Mariota 2 years 36 million/18 guaranteed, really is a one year deal for 18 million but 2 years gives you some cap wiggle room and allows you to keep him if he takes off.

Draft a QB in round 5.

Mariota/Trubisky
5th round pick

This plan leaves the QB spot exposed and the Bears would need Mariota or Trubisky to be the guy. That is not as guaranteed for 2 guys who have been benched or could be benched this season.

Option 3: The High Draft Pick

Re-sign Chase Daniel

Draft a QB in round 2 or trade up a little to get to the end of round 1 for the option

Trubisky/2nd Round PIck
Daniel

This would be the cheapest financially and would allow more money to be saved for the defense. This would also put the rookie into a situation where they could not sit for very long if 10 continues to crap down his leg.
  • Like 1

Option 4 - Trade for Nick Foles because Teddy B is likely not going anywhere.  The Saints aren't a dumb organization and I feel pretty confident they will not let Teddy go considering Brees is nearing the end of his career and the team may not exercise Brees' last year option after this season.  I could especially see this happening if the Saints win the SB this year and Brees likely decides to hang em up.  It's also hard enough for teams to find a starting QB these days.  Saints found a good fit with Teddy and won't want to risk having to find one in the draft after Brees hangs them up.  Remember this is the same Teddy B that turned down a big money offer from his hometown Miami Dolphins last offseason so I doubt he leaves if the Saints want him back.

If that doesn't work then:

Option 5 - The Veteran Competition...but with Alex Smith (if released and healthy) and let him compete with/mentor Trubisky next year, then draft a QB at some point.

If that's not an option then 

Option 2 - The Veteran Competition...with Mariota

and then

Option 3 - The High Draft Pick

The first two options above are my preferred choices because of the connection with Nagy and the track record of those 2 QB's vs Mariota who has still yet to find himself in this league.  Option 2 is riskiest and Option 3 is tough because Bears don't have a lot of draft picks to begin with so you know they won't end up getting their preferred choice at QB in the draft.

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Option 4 - Trade for Nick Foles because Teddy B is likely not going anywhere.  The Saints aren't a dumb organization and I feel pretty confident they will not let Teddy go considering Brees is nearing the end of his career and the team may not exercise Brees' last year option after this season.  I could especially see this happening if the Saints win the SB this year and Brees likely decides to hang em up.  It's also hard enough for teams to find a starting QB these days.  Saints found a good fit with Teddy and won't want to risk having to find one in the draft after Brees hangs them up.  Remember this is the same Teddy B that turned down a big money offer from his hometown Miami Dolphins last offseason so I doubt he leaves if the Saints want him back.

I like your Foles option the most, especially if we are able to swap a player that is likely to be cut anyway for him.  If that is  Amukamara, Patterson or whoever  then just do it.

Still draft a QB though, if you sign Foles you are doing it with intent to start him, not sit him behind Tru, so Tru is basically done here. Still need to draft and groom another kid, and Nagy needs to be the one picking him if he is going to be here through his full 5 years of his contract.

Edited by Sugashane

5 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I like your Foles option the most, especially if we are able to swap a player that is likely to be cut anyway for him.  If that is  Amukamara, Patterson or whoever  then just do it.

Still draft a QB though, if you sign Foles you are doing it with intent to start him, not sit him behind Tru, so Tru is basically done here. Still need to draft and groom another kid, and Nagy needs to be the one picking him if he is going to be here through his full 5 years of his contract.

Agreed that Foles would be brought in to be the starter but unless Pace could find a trading partner for Mitch then he will be back here in 2020 due to his contract which isn't the worst thing considering we would still need a capable back up, which I think Mitch can be.

And yes I would like them to draft a QB to develop at some point, but want it to be the right guy. Don't force it.

37 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Agreed that Foles would be brought in to be the starter but unless Pace could find a trading partner for Mitch then he will be back here in 2020 due to his contract which isn't the worst thing considering we would still need a capable back up, which I think Mitch can be.

And yes I would like them to draft a QB to develop at some point, but want it to be the right guy. Don't force it.

If I'm Mitch I want out of here and to go somewhere to restart my career. Go to do what Bridgewater did, learn under McDaniels, or someone. Nagy and him aren't meshing. 

We have to try more than once most likely. The Bears haven't picked a good QB in forever and Pace can't keep putting it off. If Nagy can develop a QB, he needs to pick one and start. I'm not opposed to picking QBs in the first two days in back to back years. Of course he should like them and believe they can develop too, not just because they play the position. Or if the offense is putrid again then let Nagy go and the new HC picks his guy to compete with him. 

As hard as it is to face...I still think they have to draft a guy. I mean...if they can get Smith or Foles for cheap, tack that on. 

The team, overall, is pretty young, though. There's time. 

Let's hope Mitch gets his **** together and we don't have to worry about such stuff. 

Simple.....IMHO you "go big or go home" which to me means acquiring an experienced credentialed vet who is capable of winning the QB competition and from whom Mitch could possibly learn from example by spending time watching and being coached on the sidelines during actual games.  That has always been the missing link in his development.

If I'm Pace I'm trying to do two things here.

1) Not lose the open window via the lack of a competent NFL QB who can take me to the playoffs and possibly win a SB.  I think we can all agree that Mitch is nowhere near having that capability right now and the harsh reality of it is he may never be unless he can get his head screwed on straight.  I never suspected he would be as mentally weak and lacking instincts in action as he is.

2) I'm actually trying to salvage Mitch's career and my reputation because the careers Mahomes and Watson are having is making my pick look very bad and my entire plan of using Glennon as both a feint for the draft and as a vet starter from whom Mitch could learn was a colossal failure.  This is turning into an atom bomb of mistakes and misplays for me and the Bears.

One problem Pace also faces as far as correcting this problem is he has no chance for a redo top ten pick he can use on a top QB prospect so any draftee he can select will in all likelihood also be a gamble not that it should keep him from drafting one somewhere in 2020.  But we'd have to be awfully lucky for any rookie to take us to the playoffs and a SB so I don't think that alone can work.

Obviously the easiest solution is to "fix Mitch" now but many who are far smarter football wise than I am say  "that ain't happenin" and some believe it never will and that we have ourselves a Blake Bortles v2.0.  Since I'm unsure whose more correct I would continue to work through a process with Mitch that I hope would end up getting him past his mental blocks and either developing instincts or using those he does have efficiently.

As long as we can retain defensive dominance and present offensively with an effective running game Mitch won't have to carry the team or ever become a Brady or a Rodgers but right now he reminds me more of Rex without his deep ball than he does of a guy I can depend on to lead the team offensively.  I like Chase Daniel as a backup who can win 50%-60% if his starts but we have to admit that his role as as instructor for Mitch has failed.

Mitch has not picked up this offense well enough to run it.  He may do well in the QB room and in practice but on game days he falls apart.  If that can't be fixed immediately we don't need another Daniel we need a QB who can start and whom Mitch can learn from by example.  Then with any luck he can comeback and claim a starting job eventually.  I believe that if we don't follow a path like this Mitch will in all likelihood end up a bust based on where he was drafted and we won't ever reach a SB any time soon.

Edited by soulman

23 hours ago, WindyCity said:
I am wondering what people think is the best way to fix the QB spot in 2020 so that we do not totally waste this defenses window.

*Trubisky must be kept because his money is guaranteed, so he will be on the team no matter what.

Option 1: The Veteran Starter

Sign Teddy Bridgewater 4 years 80 million/42 guaranteed [Foles Light] 

Draft a QB in the 5th round

Bridgewater
Trubisky
5th Round Pick

You sign Bridgewater to start. He is smart, accurate and has spent 2 years with one of the best play callers in the league and a HOF QB. Trubisky can compete, but he is starting behind Bridgewater who can run an offense and compliment the defense.

Option 2: The Veteran Competition

Sign  Marcus Mariota 2 years 36 million/18 guaranteed, really is a one year deal for 18 million but 2 years gives you some cap wiggle room and allows you to keep him if he takes off.

Draft a QB in round 5.

Mariota/Trubisky
5th round pick

This plan leaves the QB spot exposed and the Bears would need Mariota or Trubisky to be the guy. That is not as guaranteed for 2 guys who have been benched or could be benched this season.

Option 3: The High Draft Pick

Re-sign Chase Daniel

Draft a QB in round 2 or trade up a little to get to the end of round 1 for the option

Trubisky/2nd Round PIck
Daniel

This would be the cheapest financially and would allow more money to be saved for the defense. This would also put the rookie into a situation where they could not sit for very long if 10 continues to crap down his leg.

I like option 2 the most.  Mariota is a reclamation project, much like Alex Smith was when he went to KC.  Mariota hasn't been a great but he has been an ok game manager who doesn't push the ball downfield.  He takes the safer throws, and won't lose you any games, but won't win you many either.  If we can get Mariota at a decent price then it makes more sense than overpaying for Foles and Smith.  Both of those guys have huge contracts and would cause a huge problem with the cap.

This is as good a thread as any to talk about potential QB draftees...

Just started watching some clips on a few of them myself... but initial snap reactions:

-I don't see anything special with Hurts.. He's a less athletic RG3.

-Burrow doesn't have an NFL worthy arm. His passes look like they're in slow motion.

-Eason has an interesting arm, throwing with a ton of velocity. That said, he looks like he's trying to throw hard every play (where as Mahomes, when he was coming out made those deeper passes look effortless) and I don't see much in the way of touch as every pass is basically a fastball.There's also allegedly big maturity concerns from what I was reading (he was the only one with enough arm talent to make me dig deeper so far)

Having not been following college ball until draft season, those are the only 3 I've looked up so far, but would be interested to know of any other QBs to look into, as I've read there are as many as 7 potential first rounders (though nobody actually seems to list those 7).... That also said, from what I've seen thus far, a FA is basically a necessity.

22 hours ago, Epyon said:

This is as good a thread as any to talk about potential QB draftees...

Just started watching some clips on a few of them myself... but initial snap reactions:

-I don't see anything special with Hurts.. He's a less athletic RG3.

-Burrow doesn't have an NFL worthy arm. His passes look like they're in slow motion.

-Eason has an interesting arm, throwing with a ton of velocity. That said, he looks like he's trying to throw hard every play (where as Mahomes, when he was coming out made those deeper passes look effortless) and I don't see much in the way of touch as every pass is basically a fastball.There's also allegedly big maturity concerns from what I was reading (he was the only one with enough arm talent to make me dig deeper so far)

Having not been following college ball until draft season, those are the only 3 I've looked up so far, but would be interested to know of any other QBs to look into, as I've read there are as many as 7 potential first rounders (though nobody actually seems to list those 7).... That also said, from what I've seen thus far, a FA is basically a necessity.

Hurts has moments where he really gets dialed in and makes pinpoint passes, rarely puts his WRs in positions to get crushed too. RGIII was more athletic but I think a much more limited passer.

I don't think Burrow's arm is too weak to play in the NFL, I think he needs to fix his mechanics. I saw someone go over how Minshew (who I thought had a really weak arm but had way more zip in JAX, nothing crazy nut nothing like it was in college) actually was standing too upright and wasn't using his non-throwing arm to generate velocity. Normally you keep that opposite arm tight, but we saw Jay able to damn near point to where he was throwing due to his freakish arm. 

So Minshew was limiting his hips and core and throwing power was lost due to that. Watching Burrow against FLA he does have a really narrow stance but has been able to make up for it with good accuracy and anticipation. I'm betting that during the Combine that will be cleaned up and he will have some zip. Not like Eason but sure as hell not a post-op Chad Pennington.  

Fromm is Alex Smith to me. Smart, good WC QB, will look off safeties, and will go through progressions. He has a new bunch of WRs and that might help him because he has to really find the open guy instead of throwing it up to an elite guy. He might be the best fit for people with complex schemes. He might be who Nagy wants to be able to grasp his system quickly. If I had to pick who I thought Nagy would target he would be the one. 

• Like 1

On 10/24/2019 at 7:40 AM, WindyCity said:

I think the Bears will go with Mariota, because Foles or Bridgewater at their salaries are going to be the starter.

And if we extend Mariota with a long-term contract how do you figure he'll make any less that the roughly $16 mil Foles will get in 2020?

Mariota is getting nearly $21 mil this year and if TB leads NOLA deep into the playoffs what should we estimate his next deal will look like?

If we're being honest with ourselves I believe anyone we bring is is likely to be the starter in 2020 but I found this article and it's take on both Mitch and Nagy to be very interesting.  Quite a few of us suspect the problem may go deeper than just Mitch and both Warner and Rosenfels seem to agree.

Former NFL QB says Bears offense is worst scheme in NFL

Hall of Fame quarterback Kurt Warner recently expressed his confusion.

"Ok - someone smarter than me explain to me what Chicago Bears are doing offensively? Is the scheme based off their young QBs limitations or is the scheme limiting their young QB? It's hard to know when not in the meeting room - but it's a struggle to watch!" Warner Tweeted this week.

He wasn't the only quarterback to opine on Nagy's system, or lack of one. 

Sage Rosenfels, whose journeyman career spanned five teams and 11 seasons, had an even harsher take than Warner's (which he made in reply to the former Ram and Cardinal).

"Watched every snap this morning," Rosenfels said of Chicago's offense. "Worst offensive scheme in the NFL. Just drawing up plays and running them. No rhyme or reason."

It's really hard not to agree.  The offense has no specific style or identity nor even consistency in Nagy's play calling where he may call 25-30 run plays one game and 5-10 the next.  IMHO the offenses problems are further exacerbated by Nagy refusal to do two things.

1) Sit Mitch in favor of Daniel for a few games just to measure how badly Mitch's play alone is hurting the offense.

2) Turn over the playcalling to someone else and spend time coaching Mitch during games and the rest of the team.

I believe both decisions are wrong.

Warner walked back that criticism later on Twitter.

I don’t believe Mariota will get/take a long term deal. Being benched is different than coming off a Super Bowl MVP and quality relief work.

I think Mariota will cost 10 + per start bonuses that can push it to 16-18 on a 1 year deal.