How do we fix the QB in 2020

WindyCity

20 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

False. This team has lost six games this year.

I think he means *had* it proceeded from week 1 smoothly we wouldn't be discussing who *was* to blame.

Either way, if they finish 10-6 there shouldn't be blame. Chalk it up to a great NFC in 2019 and improve into next year.

10 hours ago, Epyon said:

The thing is if there's a QB you think might be there in the 2nd that you'd take, you STILL want to trade up to ~28-32 to take him, just to get that 5th year option from a first rounder if he hits.

I'm sure the Bears fanbase will have a totally calm and reason based reaction to a Ryan Pace trade up for a QB

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Epyon said:

The thing is if there's a QB you think might be there in the 2nd that you'd take, you STILL want to trade up to ~28-32 to take him, just to get that 5th year option from a first rounder if he hits.

To me Ryan Pace has hitched his wagon to Trubisky so he shouldn't trade away any more picks. He should enhance Trubisky and the Bears ability to win. He will not bring in any QB that will challenge him as a starting QB. If the Bears didn't give up on Trubisky after the first half of the season then they won't give up on him now.

1 hour ago, TB 1 said:

To me Ryan Pace has hitched his wagon to Trubisky so he shouldn't trade away any more picks. He should enhance Trubisky and the Bears ability to win. He will not bring in any QB that will challenge him as a starting QB. If the Bears didn't give up on Trubisky after the first half of the season then they won't give up on him now.

I agree. I can see it happening if they absolutely love someone, but the more likely scenario is letting Daniel go and signing someone like Case Keenum to back-up Trubisky and using a 4 or 5 on a QB (Kellen Mond, Nate Stanley, Case Cookus).

14 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I think he means *had* it proceeded from week 1 smoothly we wouldn't be discussing who *was* to blame.

Either way, if they finish 10-6 there shouldn't be blame. Chalk it up to a great NFC in 2019 and improve into next year.

I think the problem is that in the NFL it takes defenses a year or so to adjust to offensive schemes. Last year with a last place schedule we really caught some teams by surprise and we weren't as good as our record indicated. Last year was all about the explosive offenses and this year almost all the top tier teams have well balanced teams except for the Chief but even their defense is improved.

Our offense was better last year because teams weren't expecting the Bears to be that good offensively and we scored more points despite having glaring flaws. With a full offseason of game planning, defensive coordinators adjusted and the true colors of our offense has been seen. We weren't a piece or two away from a championship, we still have to add to our collection of talent to be among the elite.

I also think that the franchise hasn't been forthcoming as to the extent to Mitch's injuries. During the Cowboys game, he really showed some quickness that really wasn't seen during the year. Even though people want to point to playcalling, game plans might have been designed around Mitch playing injured.

Coming into this year I thought the best case scenario would be to go 10-6 because we have a pretty tough looking schedule. However, most of our losses weren't due to schedule it was just us playing bad. I will say that the Oakland Raiders game really showed us how bad our offensive line is compared to rest of the league.

5 minutes ago, BACK2MACKSACK said:

I think the problem is that in the NFL it takes defenses a year or so to adjust to offensive schemes. Last year with a last place schedule we really caught some teams by surprise and we weren't as good as our record indicated. Last year was all about the explosive offenses and this year almost all the top tier teams have well balanced teams except for the Chief but even their defense is improved.

Our offense was better last year because teams weren't expecting the Bears to be that good offensively and we scored more points despite having glaring flaws. With a full offseason of game planning, defensive coordinators adjusted and the true colors of our offense has been seen. We weren't a piece or two away from a championship, we still have to add to our collection of talent to be among the elite.

I also think that the franchise hasn't been forthcoming as to the extent to Mitch's injuries. During the Cowboys game, he really showed some quickness that really wasn't seen during the year. Even though people want to point to playcalling, game plans might have been designed around Mitch playing injured.

Coming into this year I thought the best case scenario would be to go 10-6 because we have a pretty tough looking schedule. However, most of our losses weren't due to schedule it was just us playing bad. I will say that the Oakland Raiders game really showed us how bad our offensive line is compared to rest of the league.

This is incredibly overrated and overblown. The only thing that "placing" effects is two of the 16 scheduled games. The 2019 Packers got to play an "easy" two extra games this year, right? Wrong. They got to play the Niners this year because they both finished 3rd last year. There are countless examples of this. It's nonsense. 

The 2018 Bears played better against good teams and worse against bad teams. They beat Seattle and Minnesota twice. They somewhat dismantled the Rams. They lost to the Pats by 7 and that was due to two ST touchdowns from NE. Their other 3 losses were to the Giants, Dolphins and Packers.

5 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

I'm sure the Bears fanbase will have a totally calm and reason based reaction to a Ryan Pace trade up for a QB

The big thing is how Mitch closes out the season.

A mere few weeks ago people where lighting torches and dusting off their pitchforks, but after the last few games he's actually started looking like a viable option again.

The Mitch that played  Thursday I'd be fine bringing in Mariota as a BACKUP or a developmental guy later in the draft.

The Mitch that played the first few games of the season I'd be bringing a veteran to at least compete for the job if not outright start over him AND drafting a guy to compete for the backup spot.

The fear right now is that he's going to keep being inconsistent showing just enough flashes/games like the past two weeks to keep himself around, while still laying those eggs that keep us out of contention. He needs to take that next step.

If he keeps up what he started these past couple of weeks, the best plan hammering OL/ TE / OLB help and pushing to "win now"..... if he regresses back to what he was early this year, I think we have to draft a new QB, regardless of cost.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are performances from QBs that have played in this Andy Reid scheme "recently":

Patrick Mahomes: 29 games, 65.8%, 8.987 yards, 73 TDs, 17 INTs, 8.6 YPA, 109.5 rating

Alex Smith: 76 games, 65.1%, 17,608 yards, 102 TDs, 33 INTs, 7.2 YPA, 94.8 rating

Carson Wentz: 54 games, 63.6%, 13,583 yards, 95 TDs, 35 INTs, 6.9 YPA, 92.4 rating

Nick Foles: 8 games, 66.9%, 1,950 yards, 12 TDs, 6 INTs, 6.6 YPA, 90.3 rating (under Doug Pederson)

Mitch Trubisky: 27 games, 65%, 5,997 yards, 41 TDs, 22 INTs, 6.8 YPA, 89.8 rating

Chase Daniel: 5 games, 67.9%, 1,375 yards, 7 TDs, 5 INTs, 6.6 YPA, 87.3 rating

Edited by G08

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Trubisky has pulled the plane up recently. His numbers are actually approaching last years.

I agree he is playing better, however, I just feel like he will always be inconsistent and unreliable. His lack of Touchdowns in partial are killing this team. 

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Trubisky has pulled the plane up recently. His numbers are actually approaching last years.

December Windy, I'd love for you and October Windy to get together...

I think we've seen what Trubisky is going to be here in Chicago.  Wouldn't surprise me if he ends up somewhere else and turns into one of those backups that plays to the max when needed, or even a decent starter, but I feel like 2020 is it for him even if they pick up his fifth year option which I expect.

49 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

I agree he is playing better, however, I just feel like he will always be inconsistent and unreliable. His lack of Touchdowns in partial are killing this team. 

How much of his inconsistencies are attributable to a non-existent running game and a shoddy o-line though?

I think we all need to be fair in this evaluation.