How do we fix the QB in 2020

WindyCity

6 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

It's pretty weird you still don't understand what Pace was doing with the Glennon signing. Not as terrible as it seems. 

It was idiotic. Take that smoke screen narrative and throw it in the trash. It was such a great smokescreen that he felt compelled to trade up to get his QB.

Smokescreens are meant to keep people from knowing and forcing your hand and they shouldn’t cost 18 million.

They also shouldn’t be so bad that they get benched after 4 games and force you to start the rookie QB you planned to sit.

That 18 million would be pretty handy now that we are up against the cap.

Edited by WindyCity

24 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

It was idiotic. Take that smoke screen narrative and throw it in the trash. It was such a great smokescreen that he felt compelled to trade up to get his QB.

How was it NOT a smokescreen? He, like, did draft Trubisky. You know that, right? 

And the hope was that Glennon would play at an acceptable level, which plenty of people around the league were in line with. Many thinking he could still be a starter. 

56 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Why should I have faith in Ryan Pace to pick the next QB?

Because if he has to make another decision on the QB position then at least he will have Nagy here, a former QB himself, to help find the right guy. 

I'm just not sure we're at that point where we can say it's a definite thing.

14 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Because if he has to make another decision on the QB position then at least he will have Nagy here, a former QB himself, to help find the right guy. 

I read the tribune article and the one thing that stood out about the other teams draft process was they had an offense coach who could veto the trade up. The Chiefs GM and the Texans GM both had to sell their coach on the player, Pace never had too.

im hoping that means the second time we draft a QB we can actually find a legit starter.

Have we ever drafted a QB during an offensive coach’s tenure?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

I read the tribune article and the one thing that stood out about the other teams draft process was they had an offense coach who could veto the trade up. The Chiefs GM and the Texans GM both had to sell their coach on the player, Pace never had too.

im hoping that means the second time we draft a QB we can actually find a legit starter.

Have we ever drafted a QB during an offensive coach’s tenure?

The other thing in the Tribune article is that John Fox liked Deshaun Watson as the #1 QB so this was a Pace choice. I am stunned that Pace viewed Trubisky as his Brees when Tru never elevated North Carolina at the college level. They actually got worse. Why couldn't Trubisky start ahead of Marquis Williams in his freshman and sophomore years as a great prospect should? The Bears drafted McMahon in Ditka's first season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

That is why Nagy should be here and I agree he should be.

Pretend for a second that we are there, because we are.

Why should Pace be involved in picking the next QB?

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

How was it NOT a smokescreen? He, like, did draft Trubisky. You know that, right? 

And the hope was that Glennon would play at an acceptable level, which plenty of people around the league were in line with. Many thinking he could still be a starter. 

What many people thought was irrelevant he was awful and a waste of 18 million dollars.

A smoke screen is meant to obscure what you are doing. It obscured nothing Pace still panicked and traded up.

If teams had assume they were not going QB because of Glennon and he had sat at 3 and picked his QB that is an effective smokescreen.

I am well aware that he drafted Trubisky. It is the single most devastating move since Jerry passed on Aaron Rodgers to take Ced Benson

The entire problem with drafting Mitch is that you should have had Nagy (or some other offensive head coach) in place when you drafted him and you should have started him immediately.

The sequence of moves that brought Mitch to the Bears shows that Pace either has no plan or doesn't know how NFL teams develop QBs. Choose your own adventure, they're both scary.

1 minute ago, abstract_thought said:

The entire problem with drafting Mitch is that you should have had Nagy (or some other offensive head coach) in place when you drafted him and you should have started him immediately.

The sequence of moves that brought Mitch to the Bears shows that Pace either has no plan or doesn't know how NFL teams develop QBs. Choose your own adventure, they're both scary.

Agreed. The Tribune Report was pretty damning. Not doing your due diligence on Watson, not involving the coaching staff in the process.

Reeks of Hubris

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

How awesome would it be if Pace got reverse Foxed?

Nagy completely shuts him out of the QB evaluation process and then surprises him with who he wants on draft day.

Try and show up your boss to one day throw it in his face?  Sounds like a way to lose your job and have a lot of other GM's asking if he'll do this to me  

4 hours ago, Damikeeeee said:

Try and show up your boss to one day throw it in his face?  Sounds like a way to lose your job and have a lot of other GM's asking if he'll do this to me  

My guess is if Nagy wanted Pace gone at this point he could pretty obviously over throw him.

I was looking at the free agents for next year and it appears that Nick Mullins from SF might be a free agent.  Idk if SF can afford to keep him and pay Jimmy G, and given an opportunity to compete might get him to come to Chicago.  Any thoughts on Mullins?

2 minutes ago, GBHalas said:

I was looking at the free agents for next year and it appears that Nick Mullins from SF might be a free agent.  Idk if SF can afford to keep him and pay Jimmy G, and given an opportunity to compete might get him to come to Chicago.  Any thoughts on Mullins?

He is an ERFA and they can keep him for almost nothing.