How do we fix the QB in 2020

WindyCity

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Warner walked back that criticism later on Twitter.

I don’t believe Mariota will get/take a long term deal. Being benched is different than coming off a Super Bowl MVP and quality relief work.

I think Mariota will cost 10 + per start bonuses that can push it to 16-18 on a 1 year deal.

I haven't seen or read his retraction so if you're countering what I posted maybe you should post that Windy.

As for Mariota I don't know why he would accept a one year deal unless there's little interest in him and despite his W/L record his stats aren't bad and he's a 25 year old QB with a good arm and mobility.  Who can't use of of those?  Besides us I mean.

You could be right but then again you could be wrong.  Right now we really don't know what the market for a UFA like Mariota might be next March.  I don't believe he'd cost us any less than Foles unless we do sign him longer term to a more cap friendly deal.  Otherwise at $16 mil and above you're talking the same kind of money Foles will run.

The major difference would be acquiring Mariota as a UFA at no cost vs having to spend a pick or pick for Foles.

Pace may have something else up his sleeve but at the same time he must also realize that he has to get any move he makes right or his rebuild may fail to ever achieve it's goal.  This is all on him now.  I'm only speaking as an observer.

1 hour ago, soulman said:

I haven't seen or read his retraction so if you're countering what I posted maybe you should post that Windy.

As for Mariota I don't know why he would accept a one year deal unless there's little interest in him and despite his W/L record his stats aren't bad and he's a 25 year old QB with a good arm and mobility.  Who can't use of of those?  Besides us I mean.

You could be right but then again you could be wrong.  Right now we really don't know what the market for a UFA like Mariota might be next March.  I don't believe he'd cost us any less than Foles unless we do sign him longer term to a more cap friendly deal.  Otherwise at $16 mil and above you're talking the same kind of money Foles will run.

The major difference would be acquiring Mariota as a UFA at no cost vs having to spend a pick or pick for Foles.

Pace may have something else up his sleeve but at the same time he must also realize that he has to get any move he makes right or his rebuild may fail to ever achieve it's goal.  This is all on him now.  I'm only speaking as an observer.

But how many teams will truly be in the market for a QB?

Miami (but probably going the draft route)
Tampa?
Oakland?
Denver?
Cincinnati
Tennessee
Bears

I only listed four question marks. Tampa may keep Winston. Oakland could retain Carr. Denver drafted Lock so someone would have to fall in their lap/Elway would have to fall in love with someone. Teams like NE, NO, GB, MIN, etc may draft a QB but likely in rounds 2-4 as someone to develop.

Point is, the QB market may not be as hectic as it always is and so Pace should have his choosing of a vet QB should this Trubisky stuff stay the same or even worsen.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

Warner

Went back & watched @bears game again... I retract my statement about the entire offense, it wasn’t nearly as bad conceptually as I thought the first time! Although some looked bad, I think i was able to figure it out a little more the 2nd time through!

That's either code for the QB sucks or code for someone told me to shut up so I'm mysteriously retracting my (initially correct) statement

36 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

That's either code for the QB sucks or code for someone told me to shut up so I'm mysteriously retracting my (initially correct) statement

HA!

If it helps, Adam Jahns at the Athletic had a similar reaction after rewatching, and highlighted a handful of plays where Trubisky looked the wrong way, made the wrong option call, missed a read or just whiffed the throw

If it's code for "QB sucks" it's about as sophisticated as Pig Latin

For my own rewatch, the most egregious fault with Nagy is a lack of patience with the run game; when he got a bad carry he'd just commit to having Mitch flinging it around. 

It's a curious arrangment; on one hand he's designed a lot of the pass plays to be really simple 2 read or half field reads, but at the same time, based on how he keeps passing,  I think you can tell he genuinely believes Trubisky can get it together and just needs to get some confidence back. Hope he's right!  

It stinks that Trubisky's issues, which are compounding, seem to be all between the ears. You never know if someone can break out of their spiral until they do.  Thinking about the above makes me think that unless 10 gets hurt, they're going to ride with him all season. 

4 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

But how many teams will truly be in the market for a QB?

We have no idea, only an educated guess.

As I posted to Windy both Pace and Nagy seem convinced that staying with their current course of action is the way to go.  Whatever else they may be cooking up for the offseason we won't know.  Pace has always been extremely good at keeping his thoughts and plans private.

I'm simply gonna sit back and watch how it unfolds offering my own opinions as I see fit while knowing they mean nothing as far as reality goes.  It's Pace and Nagy's problem and theirs to fix.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

For my own rewatch, the most egregious fault with Nagy is a lack of patience with the run game; when he got a bad carry he'd just commit to having Mitch flinging it around. 

It's a curious arrangment; on one hand he's designed a lot of the pass plays to be really simple 2 read or half field reads, but at the same time, based on how he keeps passing,  I think you can tell he genuinely believes Trubisky can get it together and just needs to get some confidence back. Hope he's right!  

It stinks that Trubisky's issues, which are compounding, seem to be all between the ears. You never know if someone can break out of their spiral until they do.  Thinking about the above makes me think that unless 10 gets hurt, they're going to ride with him all season. 

Which goes to the “he had a great week of practice.” I think practice Mitch is a lot different from game time Mitch.

4 minutes ago, Tyty said:

No interest in Mariota but Bridgewater could be a top 20 qb imo 

We won't get him. He could have left Saints after last year and turned down offers to be the starter elsewhere. He's the succession plan for them after Brees retires 

1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

We won't get him. He could have left Saints after last year and turned down offers to be the starter elsewhere. He's the succession plan for them after Brees retires 

It’s a great place to be, that’s for sure. 

23 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Projecting cuts at the QB position in 2020 I would love to make a run at Derek Carr if we aren't going to take a QB in the 2nd round...get Khalil on the phone.

I doubt Oakland moves on. He is having his best year in a long time.