How do we fix the QB in 2020

WindyCity

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

We need someone who can handle the pressure and the bright lights. I swear that is Mitch's biggest issue he has crumbled under the pressure of this season and "taking the step".

The Ravens are such an impressive organization. They changed on a dime and went from a statue pocket passer to a totally different and innovative style of offense in an offseason and a half.

Incredible what they have done from a personnel and scheme perspective.

Classic example of a team fitting an offense to their QBs strengths.

I hope Nagy is capable of doing similar and not being stubborn to a particular system of plays with whoever our future QB ends up being.

4 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Hurts has had 2 games this year where's run under 10 times. I'm sure that will totally fly in the NFL.

He does not need to play identical football. But I am no longer worried about QBs running.

1. They take care of themselves way better.

2. If we have him for 8 years instead of 15 so be it.

14 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Classic example of a team fitting an offense to their QBs strengths.

I hope Nagy is capable of doing similar and not being stubborn to a particular system of plays with whoever our future QB ends up being.

If they are drafting Hurts to force him to be a pocket passer then they should all be fired.

If they are drafting him to run RPO and play action then they can stay.

27 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

He does not need to play identical football. But I am no longer worried about QBs running.

1. They take care of themselves way better.

2. If we have him for 8 years instead of 15 so be it.

I'm not worried about QB's who run. I'm worried about ones that run willingly. Hurts has run at least 16 times each of the last 3 games, including 20 something against Baylor. That isn't sustainable, and that's a habit that could be hard to break if reads 1 and/or 2 are covered.

18 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I'm not worried about QB's who run. I'm worried about ones that run willingly. Hurts has run at least 16 times each of the last 3 games, including 20 something against Baylor. That isn't sustainable, and that's a habit that could be hard to break if reads 1 and/or 2 are covered.

If he gets yards and gets down before getting hit, that isn't a problem to me.

10 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

So far so good, but there has never been a player at that position who runs that much gets hit repeatedly and continues to get back up.

No doubt but the point is these guys can adapt...Jackson has shown that...even before him Vick did to some extent...plus Hurts is much thicker and stronger.

5 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

No doubt but the point is these guys can adapt...Jackson has shown that...even before him Vick did to some extent...plus Hurts is much thicker and stronger.

Look man, if they draft Hurts I hope it works out. I'm sick of watching stiffs play QB for the Bears. I just wouldn't be a fan of the pick, especially if they traded up for him.

39 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Look man, if they draft Hurts I hope it works out. I'm sick of watching stiffs play QB for the Bears. I just wouldn't be a fan of the pick, especially if they traded up for him.

Ya I'm done with the Ryan Pace trade ups myself.

I get the mentality behind wanting to go get your "guy" but so far that strategy hasn't really benefited this organization under Pace.  Floyd is good not great, Miller is TBD but also disappointing and Tru is looking like he is on his way to bust status.

This year is a tough year for that also...not only are we limited in draft picks to begin with but you don't want to leave a potential new GM in 2021 and beyond with less draft picks to build with.

Ryan Pace created his own mess and if he's going to be given the opportunity to fix it then he shall do it with limited resources.  If he doesn't then sayonara.  He had his chance.

Edited by topwop1

16 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Ya I'm done with the Ryan Pace trade ups myself.

I get the mentality behind wanting to go get your "guy" but so far that strategy hasn't really benefited this organization under Pace.  Floyd is good not great, Miller is TBD but also disappointing and Tru is looking like he is on his way to bust status.

This year is a tough year for that also...not only are we limited in draft picks to begin with but you don't want to leave a potential new GM in 2021 and beyond with less draft picks to build with.

Ryan Pace created his own mess and if he's going to be given the opportunity to fix it then he shall do it with limited resources.  If he doesn't then sayonara.  He had his chance.

If you are keeping Pace you need to allow him to do what he has to do to address the QB spot. You cannot keep him with restrictions.

Trading up for a QB makes sense because the 5th year option is such a benefit.

I agree with you that Pace sucks, but if you keep him you have to let him operate as the GM.

An important question regarding drafting another QB is how many teams ahead of you are going to get a QB? I'm not sure this draft has an obvious QB1 any more, and there are a handful of guys that could go first round; Burrow, Tua(?), Herbert, Eason, Fromm, Hurts are all at least in a first round discussion. 

Bengals, Dolphins seem like locks to take a QB

Buccaneers, Colts, seem likely

Redskins, Chargers, Titans, Saints, Patriots seem possible 

At the very least I'd say 3 teams ahead of are trying to get a QB

If we assume the Bears are drafting somewhere in the 40s with both picks,  how likely is it that a QB that can start in year 1 or 2 will be there? The value of their 2 second-round picks is equal to about the 20th pick in the first round assuming current standings, so is that worth it to get their guy (again?)

Ugh, this is like doing your taxes and realizing you made too much money but also made it the wrong way to deduct anything. 

I would love to have a flashy new QB, but I think it might be more likely that we see some boring or half dead veteran trotted out there, who plays well enough to get the Bears offense to average, and they get 8-8 or something and miss out on the playoffs but also a good 2021 draft pick.