How do we fix the QB in 2020

WindyCity

52 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

December Windy, I'd love for you and October Windy to get together...

I think we've seen what Trubisky is going to be here in Chicago.  Wouldn't surprise me if he ends up somewhere else and turns into one of those backups that plays to the max when needed, or even a decent starter, but I feel like 2020 is it for him even if they pick up his fifth year option which I expect.

He has improved. Everyone on offense has.

I have to adjust to what we are seeing now.

• Like 1

Amazing how Pace team building was looking genius and then kind of completely fell apart this year.

Combination of missing on best QBs in MT draft, TE FA miss and 2nd round miss, and complete 2019 O line melt down is making him look really bad.  Torpedoed whole offense.

I think Montgomery is a fine football player, but ignoring the TE position problem in 2019 was really huge.      

I think having a good blocking and receiving Y TE in 2019 might have made a 3 - 5 win difference.  

If you have good O line and TEs who the RB is doesn't matter nearly as much.  

On other hand having bad O line and bad TEs you get 2019 Bears.  If you had 3 HOF WRs offense would still be bad.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Amazing how Pace team building was looking genius and then kind of completely fell apart this year.

Combination of missing on best QBs in MT draft, TE FA miss and 2nd round miss, and complete 2019 O line melt down is making him look really bad.  Torpedoed whole offense.

I think Montgomery is a fine football player, but ignoring the TE position problem in 2019 was really huge.      

I think having a good blocking and receiving Y TE in 2019 might have made a 3 - 5 win difference.  

If you have good O line and TEs who the RB is doesn't matter nearly as much.  

On other hand having bad O line and bad TEs you get 2019 Bears.  If you had 3 HOF WRs offense would still be bad.

Agreed.  That's why I said you can put any QB back there, you name it, and they wouldn't be doing significantly better than Mitch has this season.

Just look at Tom Brady this year struggling with no TE and an inconsistent OL.  People like to blame the lack of weapons at WR but he still has Edelman, Sanu and Dorsett, plus Harry now.

It's all about the o-line.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, G08 said:

This team needs to focus on developing the run game (re-invest in the OL and TEs) and I think we'll see an improvement in 2020.

This is by far the biggest focus for the team in the off-season. Even last year we were terrible at running the ball. We can compete in the playoffs next year if we can get a top 15 rush offense.

4 hours ago, Nads786 said:

This is by far the biggest focus for the team in the off-season. Even last year we were terrible at running the ball. We can compete in the playoffs next year if we can get a top 15 rush offense.

I don't know what's going on with Whitehair and Daniels, but they need to get their **** together and the coaches need to set a course/direction and ******* stick to it. I'm sick of them getting jacked around mid-season. I thought we left that pee-wee crap back in the Fox era.

We're stuck with Leno and Massie for a year or two more, so at minimum make sure you're locked in at LG and C. Draft a RG you really like in round 2 if he's there and you've got a young, stout middle of the line.

36 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Draft an OT in the 2nd round and let them all compete.

It will be easier to replace Massie, but give the kid a shot at LT.

We cannot roll out 2 mediocre OTs. Leno and Massie can both be cut in 2021.

I've been thinking about this... can we draft an OT in round 2 and start him over Leno/Massie? Suppose politics or whatever plays a role (it will), can Pace justify drafting an OT in round 2 to be our swing tackle?

Gives me concern that we'll see those two dudes playing prominent roles on the OL next season.

Leno, Jesus. Dude needs to get stronger in his base but I just don't know if I see that happening. Tremendous liability.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Things work out funny sometimes. 

Many, including me, had high expectations for 2019 and it turned out bad. 

Now conversely most will not have real high expectations for 2020.  

We could be surprised in a good way.  

We could be for sure. This team is not being blown out game after game. Our defense is a top 10 unit and could be top 5 next year. It really comes down to Mitch and the OL taking a step to mediocre next year and we could easily be 10-6.

3 hours ago, Nads786 said:

We could be for sure. This team is not being blown out game after game. Our defense is a top 10 unit and could be top 5 next year. It really comes down to Mitch and the OL taking a step to mediocre next year and we could easily be 10-6.

It also comes down to playing down to competition. Last year the Bears lost to Miami, NYG and Green Bay. This year they lost a home game to the Chargers and lost winnable road games to Philly and Oakland.

Next year they're going to play some average to bad teams (on paper): Detroit twice, Rams, Giants/Skins. They'll also be playing the Jaguars, Falcons, and Panthers, 3 teams who might be completely starting over.