How do we fix the QB in 2020

WindyCity

Just now, topwop1 said:

Curious to know what you mean...fall enough for what to happen?  He is talking about using the two 2nd round picks that we have in 2020 (one being from the Raiders) to fortify the offensive line and take the BPA.  Let's say Bears and the Raiders both finish somewhere around 6-10/7-9/8-8 which is looking like what will probably happen at this point. That will likely put them somewhere in between picks 10-20. I think you can find some pretty solid starters in that range in the 2nd round.

I mean, unless you're willing to give up the farm (i.e. Jared Goff and the Rams or Carson Wentz with the Eagles), it's a HEAVY price to pay to move up especially when you're talking about getting a QB.  In 2018, the Jets gave up THREE SRPs to move up 3 spots from 6 to 3 to select Sam Darnold.  The Bills gave up a pair of SRPs to move up from 12 to 7 to select Josh Allen.  You're talking about at the very least ~2 SRPs to move up to get into range to select a QB, and that's assuming one falls.  I just have a hard time believing that the Bears are going to be bad enough to be within striking distance of moving up in 2021 for a QB.  For as much warts as Trevor Lawrence has shown this year, he's not slipping.  I haven't really looked at the '21 QB class yet, but is there much other than Lawrence and Justin Fields?

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, unless you're willing to give up the farm (i.e. Jared Goff and the Rams or Carson Wentz with the Eagles), it's a HEAVY price to pay to move up especially when you're talking about getting a QB.  In 2018, the Jets gave up THREE SRPs to move up 3 spots from 6 to 3 to select Sam Darnold.  The Bills gave up a pair of SRPs to move up from 12 to 7 to select Josh Allen.  You're talking about at the very least ~2 SRPs to move up to get into range to select a QB, and that's assuming one falls.  I just have a hard time believing that the Bears are going to be bad enough to be within striking distance of moving up in 2021 for a QB.  For as much warts as Trevor Lawrence has shown this year, he's not slipping.  I haven't really looked at the '21 QB class yet, but is there much other than Lawrence and Justin Fields?

Oh you are talking about 2021.  My bad.

Well right now they are looking bad enough to finish in the bottom 15 picks this year, and unless they drastically upgrade the offense for next season then they could be even worse.

If that happens and they start over with new GM/HC etc. you'd have to think they would look to trade guys like Khalil Mack for some more draft capital to help with the rebuild.

Just heard Nagy speak today at his usual Monday conference.  Interesting to note he brought up Alex Smith from his time in KC when pressed on the topic of Mitch's development. He basically compared Mitch's career trajectory to Smith's by saying that some times guys don't come flying out of the gate right away from day 1 and that it takes more time for them to develop, as with Smith, but he also said that he understands that today's world is one that people want instant results.

Sounds like he knows what he's up against with a QB that is struggling right now to improve while juggling expectations from the team, fan base and media.  I suspect he's going to continue to give Mitch every possible chance to get better but have a real contingency plan (not Daniel) heading into next season.

6 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Just heard Nagy speak today at his usual Monday conference.  Interesting to note he brought up Alex Smith from his time in KC when pressed on the topic of Mitch's development. He basically compared Mitch's career trajectory to Smith's by saying that some times guys don't come flying out of the gate right away from day 1 and that it takes more time for them to develop, as with Smith, but he also said that he understands that today's world is one that people want instant results.

Sounds like he knows what he's up against with a QB that is struggling right now to improve while juggling expectations from the team, fan base and media.  I suspect he's going to continue to give Mitch every possible chance to get better but have a real contingency plan (not Daniel) heading into next season.

Nagy is the only one who really knows if Mitch will have it or not. I'm not against having Mitch next year fight for his job against an Alex Smith type player. Perhaps competition will energize him. Stranger things have happened. 

1 minute ago, Nads786 said:

Nagy is the only one who really knows if Mitch will have it or not. I'm not against having Mitch next year fight for his job against an Alex Smith type player. Perhaps competition will energize him. Stranger things have happened. 

If it walks like a bust, and talks like a bust, it is a bust.

8 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Good, we just need to wait 5-6 years to get league average QB play from a guy in hopes he gets better than average in year 8.

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Oh you are talking about 2021.  My bad.

Well right now they are looking bad enough to finish in the bottom 15 picks this year, and unless they drastically upgrade the offense for next season then they could be even worse.

If that happens and they start over with new GM/HC etc. you'd have to think they would look to trade guys like Khalil Mack for some more draft capital to help with the rebuild.

Pretty much.  And if they start rebuilding then you're back to square one.  At this point, the Bears are what they are.  This roster probably has another year or so before it's probably time to rebuild it.  The lack of draft ammunition this year kinda hampers them.   A pair of mid-SRPs probably gets them into that early 20s slot while receiving an early Day 3 pick in return.  Is that enough to get into that second tier of QBs?  At this point, you're probably looking at Tua, Joe Burrow, and Justin Herbert being off the board.  Do you believe that Jalen Hurts or Jacob Eason can be a plug 'n play QB?

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Pretty much.  And if they start rebuilding then you're back to square one.  At this point, the Bears are what they are.  This roster probably has another year or so before it's probably time to rebuild it.  The lack of draft ammunition this year kinda hampers them.   A pair of mid-SRPs probably gets them into that early 20s slot while receiving an early Day 3 pick in return.  Is that enough to get into that second tier of QBs?  At this point, you're probably looking at Tua, Joe Burrow, and Justin Herbert being off the board.  Do you believe that Jalen Hurts or Jacob Eason can be a plug 'n play QB?

They need a veteran as well to not force the draft pick to play.

But you draft a guy in 2020, so you have something in 2021 to sell the fan base on.

Just now, WindyCity said:

They need a veteran as well to not force the draft pick to play.

But you draft a guy in 2020, so you have something in 2021 to sell the fan base on.

Is there a QB in FA that's going to stabilize?  If the Bears would run the ball and find a game manager, they'd be a good team.  Maybe not a Super Bowl team, but they'd be in a much better situation.  IIRC, the FA class is headlined by Teddy Bridgewater and Tyrod Taylor.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Hurts to me is the most intriguing realistic option for the Bears to draft.  He is playing pretty darn good football right now in a pro style system that has produced back to back 1st overall picks.  I believe he fits the mold of what Nagy looks for in his QB's.  I just don't know that it's a smart play to trade up for another rookie QB when as you mentioned a lack of draft ammunition will hamper them from making any other needed picks.

If that's the way they decide to go then they need to spend money in FA to upgrade the OL and TE positions.

1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

Hurts to me is the most intriguing realistic option for the Bears to draft.  He is playing pretty darn good football right now in a pro style system that has produced back to back 1st overall picks.  I believe he fits the mold of what Nagy looks for in his QB's.  I just don't know that it's a smart play to trade up for another rookie QB when as you mentioned a lack of draft ammunition will hamper them from making any other needed picks.

If that's the way they decide to go then they need to spend money in FA to upgrade the OL and TE positions.

Best case scenario, you're looking at Dak Prescott.  Realistically, do you think he's going to hit that?

Just now, WindyCity said:

I would kill for that.

You have to try.

Realistically, he's probably the "best" win now you're going to find.  Teddy Bridgewater isn't leaving New Orleans IMO, the Bears don't have the ammunition to get Tua/Burrow/Herbert, so you're essentially left with that Tier 2 QBs in the draft.  How high do you think you need to go to ensure landing Hurts?

Realistically, he's probably the "best" win now you're going to find.  Teddy Bridgewater isn't leaving New Orleans IMO, the Bears don't have the ammunition to get Tua/Burrow/Herbert, so you're essentially left with that Tier 2 QBs in the draft.  How high do you think you need to go to ensure landing Hurts?

Teddy would be turning down 80 million/40 guaranteed to stay and wait for Brees to retire.

They have to try everything

Percent Chance of being successful with Trubisky: 0%

Percent Chance of being successful with Hurts/Eason/Fromm: Higher than 0%

I don't know but I am not going into the draft relying on being able to make a move for him.  They should sign a vet as insurance and only trade up to take a QB like Hurts if it makes sense and the price is right. I would try and get him in the late 20's because I am not looking to give up too much to move up.