Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
WindyCity

How do we fix the QB in 2020

Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, G08 said:

perry.jpg?w=768

Well...xD

7 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Draft an OT in the 2nd round and let them all compete.

It will be easier to replace Massie, but give the kid a shot at LT.

That's the thing. It doesn't necessarily mean cutting Leno, or spending a ton of money on Trent Williams, or something. Although if they trade Floyd that opens up some avenues...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, G08 said:

I've been thinking about this... can we draft an OT in round 2 and start him over Leno/Massie? Suppose politics or whatever plays a role (it will), can Pace justify drafting an OT in round 2 to be our swing tackle?

Gives me concern that we'll see those two dudes playing prominent roles on the OL next season.

Leno, Jesus. Dude needs to get stronger in his base but I just don't know if I see that happening. Tremendous liability.

The Cam Robinson approach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to throw out something crazy.  We're pining for Bridgewater, and hoping for someone's castoff for a Taneyhill like resurrection.  The connection here is Bridgewater in Minnesota was almost ran out of town like Mitch, and Taneyhill was an inexperienced college quarterback that was released from Miami.  There could be an argument of these teams gave up on these guys too quickly.  Even San Diego gave up on Brees too quickly when they drafted Rivers.  What if we are giving up too quickly on Trubisky?  I'm not saying he doesn't need competition but let's see how Trubisky plays at the start of next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GBHalas said:

I'm going to throw out something crazy.  We're pining for Bridgewater, and hoping for someone's castoff for a Taneyhill like resurrection.  The connection here is Bridgewater in Minnesota was almost ran out of town like Mitch, and Taneyhill was an inexperienced college quarterback that was released from Miami.  There could be an argument of these teams gave up on these guys too quickly.  Even San Diego gave up on Brees too quickly when they drafted Rivers.  What if we are giving up too quickly on Trubisky?  I'm not saying he doesn't need competition but let's see how Trubisky plays at the start of next year.

Not really comparable situations. Injuries played a part in all those other QBs fates--but yeah, San Diego did one of the dumbest things in football history by getting rid of Brees. I'd imagine Trubisky is at least given a shot next year, but there will be some sort of competition, even if it's weighed in one direction or another. But I don't think Trubisky has shown close to the potential Brees did as a Charger. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

Not really comparable situations. Injuries played a part in all those other QBs fates--but yeah, San Diego did one of the dumbest things in football history by getting rid of Brees. I'd imagine Trubisky is at least given a shot next year, but there will be some sort of competition, even if it's weighed in one direction or another. But I don't think Trubisky has shown close to the potential Brees did as a Charger. 

In Bridgewater's case the injury came AFTER a couple of years of mediocrity.  Bridgewater was under gun with a make it or break it year when he torn his knee to shreds.  Granted Taneyhill was injured alot but that just prolonged Miami making a decision on him.  Either way these guys got another chance to prove themselves and I'm saying that maybe, just maybe Trubisky might need more time like these guys to produce.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, GBHalas said:

In Bridgewater's case the injury came AFTER a couple of years of mediocrity.  Bridgewater was under gun with a make it or break it year when he torn his knee to shreds.  Granted Taneyhill was injured alot but that just prolonged Miami making a decision on him.  Either way these guys got another chance to prove themselves and I'm saying that maybe, just maybe Trubisky might need more time like these guys to produce.

Yeah the common thread is "somewhere else"  I have had the feeling this year that Trubes might get good eventually on a different team.  Someplace with an easier system and and a better OL, or after sitting for a while. Could totally see him be a backup turned starter in a couple years like Foles. I don't think he's ever going to be consistently good here,  too much pressure, too little upstairs and a system that asks too much of him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I think what Pace announced today was that we will not be looking for a big name QB.

 

 

That was a pipedream anyway.  I'd be shocked if Chase Daniel comes back, and expect someone with more ability but less system knowledge to be our other QB next year, plus a late draft pick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

That was a pipedream anyway.  I'd be shocked if Chase Daniel comes back, and expect someone with more ability but less system knowledge to be our other QB next year, plus a late draft pick. 

Yeah, Pace made it a point to say Daniel and Bray are both UFA's. I would assume they bring in a veteran- Keenum, Hundley, McCarron, etc- and use a 4, 5 or 6 on one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I think what Pace announced today was that we will not be looking for a big name QB.

 

 

I think he means more "We" (the current front office and coaching staff) won't. 

The next GM and head coach will be selling the farm for Trevor Lawrence. 

Edited by Epyon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Epyon said:

I think he means more "We" (the current front office and coaching staff) won't. 

The next GM and head coach will be selling the farm for Trevor Lawrence. 

If that's the case then I want Tru as the unquestioned starter for 2020. Let's get Tru in all 16 games, the new head coach and GM, and then go get Lawrence. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

If that's the case then I want Tru as the unquestioned starter for 2020. Let's get Tru in all 16 games, the new head coach and GM, and then go get Lawrence. 

PREEEACH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

If that's the case then I want Tru as the unquestioned starter for 2020. Let's get Tru in all 16 games, the new head coach and GM, and then go get Lawrence. 

If we're really embracing the tank, trade Biscuit, resign and start Bray for 16 games.  Gives us another like 5th rounder, and sends the message straight on.  Biscuit still got us 8 wins, and the Lawrence competition is gonna be nuts with how much hype he already has.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Epyon said:

If we're really embracing the tank, trade Biscuit, resign and start Bray for 16 games.  Gives us another like 5th rounder, and sends the message straight on.  Biscuit still got us 8 wins, and the Lawrence competition is gonna be nuts with how much hype he already has.

The only issue with that is I don't think Nagy or Pace would have a chance of surviving the season if they were starting Bray. They are still "playing" for their jobs.

Trubisky at least gives them a shot to win as we saw 2018 season play out. With Bray we might have shootings inside Soldier Field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×