How do we fix the QB in 2020

WindyCity

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

Teddy would be turning down 80 million/40 guaranteed to stay and wait for Brees to retire.

They have to try everything

Percent Chance of being successful with Trubisky: 0%

Percent Chance of being successful with Hurts/Eason/Fromm: Higher than 0%

Without digging too heavily into the salary cap situations, the Saints are projected $25.9M under the salary cap in 2020 while the Bears are just $12.6M under the cap in 2020 according to Spotrac.  The Saints aren't backed up against the cap.  If they want to keep Bridgewater, I'd bet they'll be able to.

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Teddy would be turning down 80 million/40 guaranteed to stay and wait for Brees to retire.

They have to try everything

Percent Chance of being successful with Trubisky: 0%

Percent Chance of being successful with Hurts/Eason/Fromm: Higher than 0%

I think Fromm would be a good fit. He reminds me of Alex Smith

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I don't know but I am not going into the draft relying on being able to make a move for him.  They should sign a vet as insurance and only trade up to take a QB like Hurts if it makes sense and the price is right. I would try and get him in the late 20's because I am not looking to give up too much to move up.

As I mentioned, this FA class is barren for QBs.  You've got Teddy Bridgewater as the best available and then your next best is what, Tyrod Taylor?  Not sure Tyrod Taylor is really all that much of an upgrade over what the Bears currently have.  And the cost to move up is probably either both of your SRPs this year (and getting an early Day 3 in return) or dealing from future picks.  Not sure either of those are overly appealing.

JALEN HURTS
QB Oklahoma

Jalen’s top skills: Big arm, speed, athleticism, leadership, swagger

Jalen’s top weaknesses: Sample size of being a strong passer, win from the pocket?

Bears OC: Matt Nagy/Mark Helfrich

The Chicago Bears are unfortunately in the market for a quarterback with the ineptitude and clear regression of Mitch Trubisky, whose 2018 statistics were extremely misleading.

Trubisky had one year of starting experience at North Carolina before the Bears picked him second overall over the likes of Patrick Mahomes and DeShaun Watson, and Chicago’s not about to let their exceptional defense go to waste because of Trubisky’s incompetence out there.

Jalen Hurts’ stock is rising to the point that it’s fair to wonder if he will even be on the board when the Chicago Bears finally are on the clock in round two of the 2020 NFL Draft.

After spending three years at Alabama showing off his skills, mostly as a runner, Hurts put on a passing display unlike anything we’d seen from him in his final couple of months with the Crimson Tide and has carried that momentum over into the 2019 season with Lincoln Riley’s Oklahoma Sooners.

The Sooners have had two straight Heisman winners and two straight top overall picks. It’s a little out there to think Hurts is going to follow in the top pick footsteps, but it would surprise no one if he was the Heisman winner and he’s showing off an ability to make big-time NFL-caliber throws, move around in the pocket, win with his arm, and still do what he does with his feet.

Lamar Jackson is showing what a creative offensive coordinator in the NFL can do with a stud dual-threat QB, and I think Matt Nagy could see similar possibilities with Hurts.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

As I mentioned, this FA class is barren for QBs.  You've got Teddy Bridgewater as the best available and then your next best is what, Tyrod Taylor?  Not sure Tyrod Taylor is really all that much of an upgrade over what the Bears currently have.  And the cost to move up is probably either both of your SRPs this year (and getting an early Day 3 in return) or dealing from future picks.  Not sure either of those are overly appealing.

Teddy

Foles, would be a trade

Mariota

Keenum

It is someone to fill space if you go with Mariota and Keenum. Although Keenum has played pretty well when he has a lot around him.

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Teddy

Foles, would be a trade

Mariota

Keenum

It is someone to fill space if you go with Mariota and Keenum. Although Keenum has played pretty well when he has a lot around him.

As I mentioned, I don't think Bridgewater is leaving New Orleans.  I believe they have the resources to pay him handsomely.  If you want Mariota or Keenum, knock yourself out.  Foles is probably the "best" get.

11 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

As I mentioned, I don't think Bridgewater is leaving New Orleans.  I believe they have the resources to pay him handsomely.  If you want Mariota or Keenum, knock yourself out.  Foles is probably the "best" get.

They are going to have 50 million invested in the QB position?

That 26 million is with them voiding Brees' deal.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

They are going to have 50 million invested in the QB position?

That 26 million is with them voiding Brees' deal.

If NO wins it all this year then Brees is likely done.  Might come back for one more year but I can't see him playing beyond that.  

I am sure they could give Teddy a bridge deal where he gets paid a little less in 2020 if Brees does decide to come back for another run next year, and then Teddy fully takes over in 2021 at starter money.

If you're Teddy and you're still getting good money to be a backup in 2020 while not going through the rigors of playing as a starter for a full 16 game season then why would you want to leave a perfectly good situation where you are comfortable and know that eventually sooner than later you will be the #1 guy there?

Let's all use some common sense here.  Chances of Teddy to Chicago are pretty slim.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Sadly Mariota is probably one of the more realistic veteran signings that we can expect... or Alex Smith if he is ever healthy enough to play again and gets released out of Washington.

I thought I wanted Keenum earlier in the season but then I saw how bad he was against the Bears D and said nope I think I'd rather just continue to roll with Mitch and Daniel.

Mariota only intrigues me if they keep Mark Helfrich as OC since he was his college head coach when he won the Heisman and went to National Championship game together.

Jacksonville is the wild card right now.  If Minshew continues to prove he can be a full time starter in this league then I do not see how they can justify keeping Foles on the bench and if that is the case then Bears need to make that call.

Edited by topwop1

20 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Foles I think could be had rather cheaply. If Pace is going to move on from Amukamara then I'd rather see him traded there. He gets to step in with a talented defense, maybe we could trade him straight up, and they don't have to force a rookie into a a starting role. They have the signing bonus paid up so Chicago would really have him for $16 mil or something. 

I don't want Mariota, Keenum or Bridgewater. Bridgewater is the best of the bunch but will be expensive and still learning a completely new system, again. Mariota and Keenum I could go with but I wouldn't want to see either making over $8 mil, and IMO both will find someone more desperate to overpay them immediately. 

Regardless I want Nagy to pick his guy, and even of they are rated for the "3rd round" or whatever then pick his guy in the 2nd. I prefer Hurts but with how Nagy seems to be pushing for Tru to be more of a pocket passer then maybe Fromm is his guy. 

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

As I mentioned, this FA class is barren for QBs.  

Well, most are, so...

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Interesting. Seems like they're no longer afraid to publicly admit he sucks, or at least getting close to it

Quick preface here--I was encouraged by Mitch coming around yesterday. Of course, that one game, to me, doesn't insure he's on the right track. 

But, wow, Nagy going to that length...? May be realistic, but public statements like that don't serve a very constructive purpose. 

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

Well, most are, so...

Quick preface here--I was encouraged by Mitch coming around yesterday. Of course, that one game, to me, doesn't insure he's on the right track. 

But, wow, Nagy going to that length...? May be realistic, but public statements like that don't serve a very constructive purpose. 

Were we watching the same game? Mitch didn't come around. He missed multiple throws again like he's made a habit of doing and turned the ball over twice, one which directly led to the Chargers go ahead TD. He had a few nice throws I'll give him that but more bad than good still. I really want to support the guy but he's not helping himself.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

FWIW

Well I'm glad they're realizing what mostly everyone who is not a complete homer is..I mean it doesn't take a genius to realize that things just aren't clicking and going as well as they had hoped and envisioned with MT as the QB. 

It takes a lot of guts to admit you made a mistake but it's the right thing to do. You gotta start making contingency plans. No more coddling the guy and giving him a free ride at this job. Too much at stake and too many people's jobs depend on getting this situation fixed. It's a huge bummer and setback but it is what it is

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 1