New England waives WR Josh Gordon; Claimed by Seahawks

Broncofan

10 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

They never put a lot of resources into the position. When they did, they missed. But yes, they suck at drafting receivers and 2nd round defensive backs. But the amount of draft capital put into the position plays a role and never was a lot. 

The only real WR bust was Aaron Dobson recently.

WR is a position that you can get outside of the top 10 picks of a draft. The Patriots have always had tons of picks...they just can't hit on any of them. Their decision making on Antonio Brown...wow. For a team renown for making smart medical decisions, all I can say is wow. The Patriots could have taken five random medical providers throughout the country random and asked them what their thoughts were on Antonio Brown...every one of them would have told them that Brown likely has NPD and to avoid at all costs. The Patriots were so desperate to find some sort of competence at the WR position that they make that move, very likely in defiance of their own medical staff (I refuse to believe that the medical staff didn't throw up an enormous red flag). They they are desperate enough to trade a 2nd rounder for Mohammed frickin Sanu...pretty much the definition of NFL mediocrity. It's insane. I give the Patriots all the credit in the world for essentially everything...but they have no idea what they are doing at WR.

15 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

WR is a position that you can get outside of the top 10 picks of a draft. The Patriots have always had tons of picks...they just can't hit on any of them. Their decision making on Antonio Brown...wow. For a team renown for making smart medical decisions, all I can say is wow. The Patriots could have taken five random medical providers throughout the country random and asked them what their thoughts were on Antonio Brown...every one of them would have told them that Brown likely has NPD and to avoid at all costs. The Patriots were so desperate to find some sort of competence at the WR position that they make that move, very likely in defiance of their own medical staff (I refuse to believe that the medical staff didn't throw up an enormous red flag). They they are desperate enough to trade a 2nd rounder for Mohammed frickin Sanu...pretty much the definition of NFL mediocrity. It's insane. I give the Patriots all the credit in the world for essentially everything...but they have no idea what they are doing at WR.

The issue isn't the amount of picks they have. It's just that they don't usually draft receivers. Hell, look at how many receivers they drafted in the top 3-4 rounds in the last 10 years. You are saying they can't hit on any of them but the reality is they don't make many picks there which decreases the likelihood of hitting.

That said, I don't think it's necessarily a Belichick, Ernie Adams or some organizational problem.

I don't think Brady can or likes to work with young receivers.

2 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

The issue isn't the amount of picks they have. It's just that they don't usually draft receivers. Hell, look at how many receivers they drafted in the top 3-4 rounds in the last 10 years. You are saying they can't hit on any of them but the reality is they don't make many picks there which decreases the likelihood of hitting.

That said, I don't think it's necessarily a Belichick, Ernie Adams or some organizational problem.

I don't think Brady can or likes to work with young receivers.

fair enough. That makes sense. 

And in all reality...it doesn't matter. The Patriots are the greatest team of this generation bu a country mile without the great outside of WRs. But we have to poke at them for something...

Edited by sammymvpknight
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Not surprising. He looked bored on the field, uninterested and unenthusiastic.

As for the Patriots and WRs, the simple fact is they’ve never considered it an especially important position. They’ve invested far more heavily in virtually every other. When you have a QB who can get wins with Reche Caldwell starting at WR, you can afford to invest more heavily in the Defense and OL.

its not fair to say they can’t evaluate talent, though. They saw Welker was worth a second when he was just a punt returner in Miami. They saw Emmanuel Sanders potential enough to offer Pittsburgh a 3rd rounder when he was just a third stringer. 

5 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

To put a vet with an injury that he'll be medically cleared from in 1-2 weeks on IR is a schmuck thing to do. 

Wouldn’t the shmuck thing to do be to keep him on IR? Easiest way to keep him off a contender is to keep him on injured reserve. Now he can play the season and do something for his value before FA. There’s some gamesmanship here but it’s not like they’re preventing him from playing again.

4 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I agree, the way they handled this was a scumbag way to go. But let's be real, it's the Patriots Way. 

See above. They could’ve just kept him on IR. 

Is this expressly different from refusing to trade Brown to NE? (Basically rhetorical question, because I’m sure in your eyes, it will be).

27 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Wouldn’t the shmuck thing to do be to keep him on IR? Easiest way to keep him off a contender is to keep him on injured reserve. Now he can play the season and do something for his value before FA. There’s some gamesmanship here but it’s not like they’re preventing him from playing again.

Is this expressly different from refusing to trade Brown to NE? (Basically rhetorical question, because I’m sure in your eyes, it will be).

I'm not sure he wouldn't rather collect a check on IR than end up on one of these bottom dwellers and be forced to play, so no I don't agree.

Hopefully the bad teams don't put a claim in on him, he may just retire if they do.

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm not sure he wouldn't rather collect a check on IR than end up on one of these bottom dwellers and be forced to play, so no I don't agree.

Hopefully the bad teams don't put a claim in on him, he may just retire if they do.

“Once he’s cleared, he hopes to be released off of IR and sign with a new team.” - per Albert Breer. 

Gordon wants to play. 

52 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Don't bother. It's just a narrative thing - the Pats are the "bad guys", and no matter what they do they will dicussed in those terms.

I mean, you could say "the Pats signed a troubled young player when no one else would give him a chance, then stuck with him through the off-season, and released him from IR at his request because he wants to play". Doesn't sound so bad when you put it like that.

• Like 1

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Ask him that if the Jets claim him.

Then his mind will have changed, but nothing’s been reported to suggest he won’t want to play football unless it’s on a team of his choosing. For now, NE granted him the release off of IR that he reportedly wanted.