Josh Gordon about to be released

Elky

13 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

That can't be true, he's barely being paid anything, and if he's fit (and mentally ready) to play he's the best WR on the team. There must be more to it than that.

The Pats have <$2.5 mil in cap room. Releasing Gordon clears an additional $1 mil. They need every bit they can get at the moment.

Edited by Starless

Why? Failed another test possibly? Releasing him for cap relief is utter nonsense. The savings are minimal and there's several players that would get the boot before Gordon if saving a couple million was the goal.

Edit: Can it really be for performance issues? Gordon's stats are bad this year but I'd attribute that to lingering health issues more than Gordon being over the hill. I don't think his suck is permanent... but why not give him a chance to heal up and prove he's still got it? Why is Bennett being given that chance despite the coaches obviously being unhappy with his performance (barely giving him play time anymore + suspending him for conduct detrimental). And if cap savings was the goal as stated, Bennett would make a ton more sense to release/trade. Blah, I hope it all works out. Wish Gordon the best.

Edited by PatriotsWin!

I know we're going to hear about disagreements over this decision from those inside the locker room. I feel like Kraft/BB/Brady have been at odds several times this season over certain player acquisitions/releases. Been an odd year as far roster moves go.

Edited by PatriotsWin!