Josh Gordon about to be released

Elky

Urgh I really don't like this one.  Don't think it's lack of effort; Gordon has been playing each game through some nasty injuries and he's been laying it out there, taking big hits and recovering that fumble in the Jets game.  

Not a fan at all.  We really gonna keep Gunnar on the roster and drop Gordon???  Damn breaks my heart.  Hope he lands OK

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

He looks uninterested while playing the game and has not been there in the big moments. I think its more than a lack of performance but a lack of effort. 

This, for me.

It's definitely not cap related. He doesn't get separation anymore, he's not really a 'pats' receiver like Edelman and probably Sanu is. An outside guy that's no longer fast.

I like him though, wish him the best

5 hours ago, Nex_Gen said:

Put the emotions aside. He simply hasn't been an asset. It's time to move on...

But is he less of an asset over Gunnar?  Or even some guy like Matt Lacosse even though we now have Watson + Tomlinson?  Worst case he's a good blocker and can contest some really tough catches.  

Hard to put emotions aside on this one as well.  Dude's been through a lot and finally hit his stride personally, unless there's something we're not aware of.  SMH I don't get this one.  

4 minutes ago, bluemushrooms said:

But is he less of an asset over Gunnar?  Or even some guy like Matt Lacosse even though we now have Watson + Tomlinson?  Worst case he's a good blocker and can contest some really tough catches.  

Hard to put emotions aside on this one as well.  Dude's been through a lot and finally hit his stride personally, unless there's something we're not aware of.  SMH I don't get this one.  

Actually we released Tomlinson when we signed Justin Bethel

2 minutes ago, bluemushrooms said:

They kept Tomlinson when they dropped Gordon.  

Dropped Jordan Richards for Justin Bethel though

I haven't seen word of Tomlinson resigned yet?

• 10/23

Placed WR Josh Gordon on injured reserve.

• 10/23

Acquired WR Mohamed Sanu in a trade with the Atlanta Falcons and signed DB Justin Bethel. Released DB Jordan Richards and TE Eric Tomlinson. Signed OL Aaron Monteiro to the practice squad.

1 minute ago, IheartMyV8 said:

I haven't seen word of Tomlinson resigned yet?

• 10/23

Placed WR Josh Gordon on injured reserve.

• 10/23

Acquired WR Mohamed Sanu in a trade with the Atlanta Falcons and signed DB Justin Bethel. Released DB Jordan Richards and TE Eric Tomlinson. Signed OL Aaron Monteiro to the practice squad.

Just google Tomlinson.  They put it on the press release but, transaction never went through.  Chances are they'll release him to bring back someone from IR soon

14 minutes ago, bluemushrooms said:

Just google Tomlinson.  They put it on the press release but, transaction never went through.  Chances are they'll release him to bring back someone from IR soon

Gotcha, I see it now.  I was wondering why we were going to fly with one TE.  

Back on topic, I'm really torn on the move.  

3 hours ago, bluemushrooms said:

I don't see the correlation between Gunner and Gordon. Gunner is the punt returner. Did they ever bench Gordon to give Gunner snaps? We are desperate for WRs. This team was signing Antonio Brown when we had Edelman, Dorsett, Meyers, DT and Gordon heading into the season. The fact that he is about to be released with the need we have at that position is telling. How has Gordon been an asset this year? Meyers was plugged in and immediately started producing. To me, that was Gordon's final straw.

I don't see where I need to sympathize with what he's "been through." He openly admitted he chooses to abuse substance/drugs and never gave a crap about football or his career. That's his decision. I don't need to feel bad about the consequences; that being the fact that it's simply catching up to him now, and he isn't an asset anymore. 

I like the guy. I wanted him to succeed. But that's simply not the reality of things, and Belichick probably knows that better than you and/or I....

20 hours ago, Nex_Gen said:

I don't see the correlation between Gunner and Gordon. Gunner is the punt returner. Did they ever bench Gordon to give Gunner snaps? We are desperate for WRs. This team was signing Antonio Brown when we had Edelman, Dorsett, Meyers, DT and Gordon heading into the season. The fact that he is about to be released with the need we have at that position is telling. How has Gordon been an asset this year? Meyers was plugged in and immediately started producing. To me, that was Gordon's final straw.

I don't see where I need to sympathize with what he's "been through." He openly admitted he chooses to abuse substance/drugs and never gave a crap about football or his career. That's his decision. I don't need to feel bad about the consequences; that being the fact that it's simply catching up to him now, and he isn't an asset anymore. 

I like the guy. I wanted him to succeed. But that's simply not the reality of things, and Belichick probably knows that better than you and/or I....

Meyers has been ok as a pure plug and play WR but, he doesn't seem to have a very deep route tree and his run blocking isn't anywhere near Gordon's.  

There are times where it's find to say "it's just business" and to not consider a player's history but, big difference with Gordon is that he went through some of his history while on the Patriots and overcame it with the team just last year.  BB and the Pats have always used a military like mentality where they essentially just brute force team mentality on the players that join; those that can accept it do well, which is why we have a lot of JAG players come in and look good like John Simon or Elandon Roberts.  To have a guy like Gordon come in, where he's widely known to have struggled with substance abuse, overcome it while on the team, and then get pump and dumped the following year will inevitably damage player/coach relationship if the reasons aren't clear to the players.

Gordon wasn't an all-pro WR this year but, he was still producing and having an impact on the offense.  Unless there were disciplinary issues, doing a straight 1:1 swap with him and Sanu doesn't seem right.  I was comparing him to Gunnar and guys like Terrance Brooks or Tomlinson because the coaching staff has always looked at the team as units.  They never have set number of players they want for each position and add extra players to positions when there's significant risk to team performance if a player goes down.  I'd say there's pretty significant risk to team performance if Edelman, Sanu, or Dorsett get injured because we only have Meyers + Gunnar waiting in the wings.  That's not a pretty weak WR corp.  We've been supplementing WR corp injuries all year with pass catching RBs like Bolden and White so, my best guess is the coaching staff views Burkhead's return as enough +offensive threat to balance out a thinner WR corp.  

Kind of a ramble but, tldr we have fat to trim elsewhere ( so unless Gordon was acting up, I don't understand.  Obviously BB and staff know more than I do but, toss some personal attachment in there and I don't like the move at all