Languages!

fretgod99

I have learnt 200+ words in Portuguese, and I was learning some Koine Greek at the same time and studying and working so it got too much.

It is heaps of fun learning languages, and great for your brain too I think, if you are working and not studying I think it is a great thing to do to.

I want to get back into if after this semester. 

Just started learning some Spanish with DuoLingo prior to a trip to South America for 4-5 months next year. Have never learnt it before, but did do a few years of French in highschool, which is similar enough to be of assistance. I also hope to go through the Michel Thomas Spanish course.  Hopefully I'll have learnt enough to start cementing some things over there! Would love to learn Russian one day, it's just a cool sounding language. One day I'll learn Hindi too, as my SO is Indian and still has a lot of family over there.

I agree with others who have said it would be cool to have your kids speaking multiple languages. It's a nifty skill to have, as it really is appreciated by people being able to converse in their own native languages. Not to mention potential employment benefits later in life!

I've spent a fair bit of time in school studying French, and then German.  I can understand both at a semi-functional one step above tourist level.  I can speak both at a really offensively poor remedial brain damaged tourist sort of level.

I just can't do foreign languages.  I wish i could so much, but my brain just doesn't work that way.  I can't do much of anything without first translating it through English, which typically butchers any sort of grammar or syntax to anything i might try to say in a foreign language.  While also slowing me down to the point of probably appearing like an actual mental delay.

Studied Japanese in High School + College, retained barely any of it

Picked up a bit of Korean through osmosis while I lived there

Currently learning Vietnamese as to be able to have basic communication potential while living here. (tones make it nigh in impossible IMO).

None of it very useful though....

11 hours ago, animaltested said:

Studied Japanese in High School + College, retained barely any of it

Picked up a bit of Korean through osmosis while I lived there

Currently learning Vietnamese as to be able to have basic communication potential while living here. (tones make it nigh in impossible IMO).

None of it very useful though....

That's been my issue with the countries I've lived in since being abroad.

Arabic is hard as hell to learn and any native Arab speaker almost always speaks English if you aren't in the ME. Now I'm in the Philippines and every island has its own dialect so learning Tagalog is a waste of time once you leave Luzon. Oh wells. Maybe one day I'll work in a fancy place that speaks French or Spanish.

4 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

That's been my issue with the countries I've lived in since being abroad.

Arabic is hard as hell to learn and any native Arab speaker almost always speaks English if you aren't in the ME. Now I'm in the Philippines and every island has its own dialect so learning Tagalog is a waste of time once you leave Luzon. Oh wells. Maybe one day I'll work in a fancy place that speaks French or Spanish.

Yeah my experience with Vietnamese thus far has been I say it, HUH?, Say it again, HUH, say it a third time and they go Oh, __________ in a slightly different way. 

5 hours ago, animaltested said:

Yeah my experience with Vietnamese thus far has been I say it, HUH?, Say it again, HUH, say it a third time and they go Oh, __________ in a slightly different way. 

Lord. Yes. All of this for pretty much any Asian country I've traveled to. So frustrating.

On 8/12/2017 at 4:08 AM, texans_uk said:

For anyone who has successfully learned a second language what study material did you use? 

I have spent circa £100 on materials but I just can't find the motivation 

Take a look at Pimsleur Speak-and-Read tapes -- those are great. Quite expensive, but maybe you can find them on YouTube or other hosting sites? By now, Duolingo is the same product as Rosetta Stone and completely free. Highly recommend.

Cannot understate the importance of music, reading and films in that language. Read a daily newspaper in the language you're trying to learn. Listen to nothing but music in that language and watch whatever film you can. Online language exchanges are also great. A bit awkward speaking to someone in a different country that you'll never ever meet in person...but extremely helpful.

On 7/20/2017 at 7:28 AM, navysaintsfan said:

MrsNSF and I both enjoy cheesy K-Dramas so we are actually studying Korean. Still working on learning the lettering (Hangul), but it is really fun.

Not even frontin' here, Hangul is an amazing alphabet. You can literally pick it up in a day or two of moderate study. The symbols actually correlate pretty close to how they are pronounced. 

Now the Korean language itself, pretty hard. 

I studied Japanese for 3 years in school and resumed self-study 2 years ago.

I use text books, internet lessons, and ConversationExchange.com. I really need to watch more Japanese TV and movies.

I will be in Japan for the first time from 8/25-9/7. I'm contemplating moving there for a year or two to teach English in 2019.

I've always lived in heavily Hispanic areas (South FL, Metro ATL) so I really would like to pick up Spanish.

On 8/13/2017 at 11:50 PM, animaltested said:

Tonal languages are tricky.

On 14/08/2017 at 7:38 PM, deeluxx3 said:

Take a look at Pimsleur Speak-and-Read tapes -- those are great.

I have a copy of pimsleur, but my main issue is the pacing. 

Lesson 6 is like pretty basic and I feel like I'm getting it, then lesson 7 is like expert with no English almost and I'm like "WTF just happened?"

Archived