Week 8: NY Jets vs Jaacksonville Jags

Bobby816

29 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Again- I'm not talking about Adam Gase the head coach, I'm talking about Adam Gase the football (QB) coach. Regardless what we've seen from Darnold on the field in 4 games this year, there's no denying that for the most part the mistakes have been either on him or on the offensive line. In the last two weeks he's had serious trouble stepping up in the pocket, which has hindered his ability to throw it accurately. And it's not like he held the ball too long; the Jets were calling play-action and he'd be met right at the top of his drop... like literally less then 3 seconds. 

In regards to the scheme: I agree it's not ideal to have an offense that requires such precision every single down. Smart offenses have a lot of easy plays, but what I'm trying to point out is that I think having to work through the issues in a hard offense will only make some of these guys better in time (namely Darnold). If you look at the 49ers offense, so much of its success has to do with the players doing there job every single down. Just because your number isn't called or the ball isn't in your hands doesn't mean your not impacting the play. It has taken their guys a while to get the hang of it, but now that they have it's a well oiled machine. I'm not saying that I expect the same out of Gase's offense, but at some point you have to put it on the players. It's up to them to step up, play hard, and play precise.

Perfect example was on the first INT. So many mistakes led to that breakdown.

• Miscommunication/identification at the line led to a unblocked blitzer up the middle. Had they identified it, Edoga should have picked up 93 off the snap, which would've allowed Lewis to protect on the blitz, and Le'Veon to block a potentially blitzing Myles Jack off the edge- instead, Edoga was left with no one to block.
  • Le'Veon got out of the snap looking to help the left side, but had to readjust when he realized there was no one coming off the edge and inside it was coming up the middle- got there late.
  • Darnold somehow got out of it, and should have thrown it away- instead he threw. Poor decision on 1st down.
  • Ball is in the air, and instead of attacking the football, Robby Anderson drops to his knee despite there being a defender draped all over him. Defender jumps in-front of the throw, and ends in an INT. If Robby does not go to his knee, it's likely either a completion, an incomplete pass, or defensive pass interference. 

Expecting perfection every play is not realistic, but all the compiled mistakes on one play alone isn't all on the coaches. 

Good OL blocking will ease up on secondary blockers like Bell or Wesco, indeed.  It is unfortunate that Frank Pollack didn't magically fix OL.

40 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Again- I'm not talking about Adam Gase the head coach, I'm talking about Adam Gase the football (QB) coach. Regardless what we've seen from Darnold on the field in 4 games this year, there's no denying that for the most part the mistakes have been either on him or on the offensive line. In the last two weeks he's had serious trouble stepping up in the pocket, which has hindered his ability to throw it accurately. And it's not like he held the ball too long; the Jets were calling play-action and he'd be met right at the top of his drop... like literally less then 3 seconds. 

In regards to the scheme: I agree it's not ideal to have an offense that requires such precision every single down. Smart offenses have a lot of easy plays, but what I'm trying to point out is that I think having to work through the issues in a hard offense will only make some of these guys better in time (namely Darnold). If you look at the 49ers offense, so much of its success has to do with the players doing there job every single down. Just because your number isn't called or the ball isn't in your hands doesn't mean your not impacting the play. It has taken their guys a while to get the hang of it, but now that they have it's a well oiled machine. I'm not saying that I expect the same out of Gase's offense, but at some point you have to put it on the players. It's up to them to step up, play hard, and play precise.

Perfect example was on the first INT. So many mistakes led to that breakdown.

• Miscommunication/identification at the line led to a unblocked blitzer up the middle. Had they identified it, Edoga should have picked up 93 off the snap, which would've allowed Lewis to protect on the blitz, and Le'Veon to block a potentially blitzing Myles Jack off the edge- instead, Edoga was left with no one to block.
  • Le'Veon got out of the snap looking to help the left side, but had to readjust when he realized there was no one coming off the edge and inside it was coming up the middle- got there late.
  • Darnold somehow got out of it, and should have thrown it away- instead he threw. Poor decision on 1st down.
  • Ball is in the air, and instead of attacking the football, Robby Anderson drops to his knee despite there being a defender draped all over him. Defender jumps in-front of the throw, and ends in an INT. If Robby does not go to his knee, it's likely either a completion, an incomplete pass, or defensive pass interference. 

Expecting perfection every play is not realistic, but all the compiled mistakes on one play alone isn't all on the coaches. 

There’s too many times when the team just looks like it doesn’t belong on the field. They are playing chess while we are playing checkers. 

This kind of ineptitude is not simply players not executing. Yes the team isn’t talented, and no the execution hasn’t been there, but it starts at the top. The free rushers every single week because the offensive line just can’t get their assignments right.

We ran the ball better last year. We protected Sam better last year with the same unit. Not only are we losing, we are losing big and Sam is regressing.

I think 99.9% of fans would have never hired Gase, and with good reason. There was no reason to. No evidence other than some call from Peyton Manning allowing him to bend this franchise over one more time.

Gase sucks. It’s like Bowles all over again, just going through the motions until we can actually fire him.

edit: and FTR I don’t think Gase was a huge problem yesterday. Sam was just as much to blame. But unfortunately Gases main job is develop Sam and he’s doing an awful job thus far

Edited by GangGreen420
  • Like 1

Gang Green is right. A lot of the issues-- missed assignments, Sam not reading the defense pre snap, etc. is on the coaching and Gase. 

Look at Minshew. Sixth round pick. Rookie. He reads the defense pre snap, makes the proper adjustments and assignments and then dissects the play. Sam is worlds more talented but Gardner is winning before the ball is even snapped and it shows in the results 

Sam's just not going to be good until he stops playing hero ball. He doesn't have the athleticism, arm talent, or improvisational to do it. He's at his best when he can get through his reads. Better coaching and offensive line play would help tremendously, but him constantly defaulting into "trying to make a play" when something breaks down is always going to kill him. He's not a Romo or Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers. He needs to figure out how to be a Philip Rivers.

1 minute ago, Malik said:

Sam's just not going to be good until he stops playing hero ball. He doesn't have the athleticism, arm talent, or improvisational to do it. He's at his best when he can get through his reads. Better coaching and offensive line play would help tremendously, but him constantly defaulting into "trying to make a play" when something breaks down is always going to kill him. He's not a Romo or Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers. He needs to figure out how to be a Philip Rivers.

Don’t agree with this at all. We’ve seen Sam improvise. We’ve seen him feel pressure and escape the pocket and make plays. He most definitely has the ability. His deep ball needs work. I’ve seen him throw a bad pick and recover. Literally all of his attributes and fundamentals are deteriorating before our very eyes under Gase.

He’s in a bad situation. The coaching is bad, the talent is bad, and I assure you guys are starting to quit if they haven’t already. Now that the team is making it known the season is over, it’s only going to get worse.

literally the worst thing that could have happened, happened. We are 8 weeks in and know nothing more about Sam than we did the day he was drafted. 

Thats the biggest failure in all of this. It’s not entirely Gases fault but it’s becoming pretty obvious the Jets made a mistake here.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Colt45fool said:

Gang Green is right. A lot of the issues-- missed assignments, Sam not reading the defense pre snap, etc. is on the coaching and Gase. 

Look at Minshew. Sixth round pick. Rookie. He reads the defense pre snap, makes the proper adjustments and assignments and then dissects the play. Sam is worlds more talented but Gardner is winning before the ball is even snapped and it shows in the results 

Garnder had time that Sam did not. Just look at the big plays that Gardner extended. He had room to move and step up. Sam was getting hit from two guys at a time, and it was right as he dropped back. He never had time to set his feet and deliver the ball. When Sam has the time, he plays just as well.

But I'm not confident in Sam's pre-snap reads. Is he failing at calling out the protection or is his OL really that terrible? Should he be adjusting routes? Is making the wrong first read?

Sam has Calais, Yannick and Josh Allen rushing him plus blitzers while Minshew had well you get the rest. 

It’s just different and mentally the Line is clearly not in sync but between this being their first year together, in a new system and 4 of them are pure trash, well yeah. 

The game is probably moving too fast for Darnold right now with all the heat coming at him along with man to man defense in the outside. 

Gase will get him right, it just takes time. 

14 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Sam has Calais, Yannick and Josh Allen rushing him plus blitzers while Minshew had well you get the rest. 

It’s just different and mentally the Line is clearly not in sync but between this being their first year together, in a new system and 4 of them are pure trash, well yeah. 

The game is probably moving too fast for Darnold right now with all the heat coming at him along with man to man defense in the outside. 

Gase will get him right, it just takes time. 

This was something that I was going to mention. That literally was arguably the best pass rush in the NFL (I don't care what the stats say, I'm talking about pure talent wise). So I fully expected Sam to have no time and the OL to struggle. And that's what happened. They don't have a good secondary and I thought we could scheme a way to expose that and they didn't. That's where I'm disappointed. But the fact that Darnold was under pressure all game wasn't surprising. Yannick, Allen and Campbell are all studs. If only we could have/should have drafted a couple of those pass rushers ;)

• Like 1

On 10/29/2019 at 7:30 AM, Bobby816 said:

This was something that I was going to mention. That literally was arguably the best pass rush in the NFL (I don't care what the stats say, I'm talking about pure talent wise). So I fully expected Sam to have no time and the OL to struggle. And that's what happened. They don't have a good secondary and I thought we could scheme a way to expose that and they didn't. That's where I'm disappointed. But the fact that Darnold was under pressure all game wasn't surprising. Yannick, Allen and Campbell are all studs. If only we could have/should have drafted a couple of those pass rushers ;)

Sigh. This year in particular we missed out on a lot of pass rushers. In the draft we passed on Allen and Winovich (4.5 sks ) in the 3rd, plus we apparently never showed serious interest in Barrett (10),  Z. Smith (8) or P Smith (7) during free agency 

16 minutes ago, Rich51 said:

Sigh. This year in particular we missed out on a lot of pass rushers. In the draft we passed on Allen and Winovich (4.5 sks ) in the 3rd, plus we apparently never showed serious interest in Barrett (10),  Z. Smith (8) or P Smith (7) during free agency 

I don't think we showed interest because we thought we had Barr locked up and he backed out after those other guys signed elsewhere.