What if Tampa Bay never traded for Jon Gruden?

Danger

19 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:
25 minutes ago, Elky said:

How does something that happened on February 2002 affect the results of a game that was played in January that year?

I think he means that Gruden wouldn't have been traded had he won that game/tuck rule never happened.

The only stipulation is that Gruden wasn't traded. No absolute context is given other than Tampa sticking with Dungy being the primary changing factor.

Edited by Danger

12 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Don't think Gruden was traded because of that loss. Even Al isn't that stupid. He just had a conflicting philosophy in how he wanted the Raiders offense run.

Yep, compete opposites in how they thought an offense should work. Gruden was never lasting in Oakland anyway, irrespective of one-off game results. I’ve also heard it mentioned that Al Davis didn’t like how popular Gruden was and how it was a young guy getting all the credit for the team’s success at the time; although that may be slightly revisionist thinking.

As an aside, Al would despise this dink & dunk offense we currently run, which is even more compact now than Gruden’s early 00’s offense that he didn’t like.

On 10/25/2019 at 6:48 PM, PapaShogun said:

Don't think Gruden was traded because of that loss. Even Al isn't that stupid. He just had a conflicting philosophy in how he wanted the Raiders offense run.

That's true, although two straight SB appearances probably delay that. By 2003, though, the Raiders were getting old (especially on offense), and the decline would have started. That's when Al would have moved on from Gruden.

On 10/25/2019 at 2:38 PM, Elky said:

It's tough to say. People argue that he won with Dungy's team (which is very true), but I don't think Tampa even reaches the Super Bowl with Dungy because of his horrible track record against Philadelphia.

However, Gruden wouldn't have stayed in Oakland. He and Al Davis weren't compatible; Gruden is as much of a control freak as Davis and had conflicting philosophies for the offense. Instead of being traded to Tampa, Gruden gets sent to Indianapolis to help develop Peyton Manning.

Because I wouldn't trust Dungy against Philly, Super Bowl 37 becomes a rematch between Philly/Oakland. The winner of that game is anyone's guess.

I never understand how this is a knock on Gruden.  If anything, wouldn't it be an indictment of Dungy?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elky said:

Mcnabb/Reid would have choked.

Possibly or they beat the Raiders for their first SB and started their own run at a Dynasty with that Defense. Maybe Tom's not facing the Panthers in 03' but the SB Champs going for B2B? At worst the Patriots are facing a Eagles Team in 04' who Won a SB 2 years prior. Maybe you're not gifted your 3rd that season because McNabb and Reid actually know how Not to Choke ?

Things happen for a reason though. Without the Gruden trade Tom/BB could be sitting here with 1/2 their SB's and not being the GOATS!!  That's the problem with the Butterfly Effect and going down the "What If Road", you never know.