Week 8 GDT: Cardinals (3-3-1) vs. Saints (6-1) - To Brees or not to Brees

Canadian Saint

Ask any successful business in the world, you cannot work with two leaders. You need a clear cut leader to guide the ship. That is the question Sean Payton must answer this week. Do you play Brees or let Teddy finish off his incredible run and start Brees against a flailing Falcons squad after the BYE. The opponent this week is the Arizona Cardinals. In this GDT writers opinions, the makings of a classic trap game. We've been on an incredible run against some top teams, we've done it at times with an arm, a leg and blindfolded, and we've nearing our BYE. The Cardinals are led by rookie QB Kyler Murray and first time head coach Kliff Kingsbury. They run an air raid offense which has led to some respectable numbers for the rookie QB (7 TD 2 INT 71.3% and a 98.6 rating). He's also a mobile QB, and while this year we've done well against them (Wilson, Watson), it is still a threat. His biggest target is the ageless Larry Fitzgerald. They also have David Johnson as a RB who can make big plays. Their D is quite underrated also. They have for LSU stud CB in Patrick Peterson. He's a CB who can shut down a WR and take him out of a game. In addition, they have DE Chandler Jones. Acquired from the Patriots, Jones has continued to be a consistent top pass rusher. Their D overall has picked up the past 3-4 weeks, posting a large number of sacks.

Coaches corner:

- CB Eli Apple and DE Trey Hendrickson will play. QB Drew Brees and RB Alvin Kamara are listed as questionable. WR Tre'Quan Smith, TE Jared Cook and CB Patrick Robinson are listed as OUT.

- it's my opinion that I'd rather let Teddy finish what he started. He's led us to perfection this season without Brees, and if there is even a 1% chance Brees isn't 100% healthy, I'd rather let him rest and have him fresh and hungry against the Falcons. Let Teddy start and play, have Brees as back up, and let Hill be the swiss army knife on offense.

- A big advantage the Saints D will have against the Cards is their O-line isn't top notch. With how our D-line is playing this season, I'm sure we won't blitz much, leaving more in coverage. The reason I say coverage is the Cards offense uses a number of players to stretch out the defense (1RB and 4 WR for example) more than any other team in the league. I imagine we'll see a heavy dose of nickel this Sunday, with CGJ, Hampton and even Ken Crawley seeing a fair number of snaps. 

- I imagine we'll game play Chandler Jones similar to what we did against Khalil Mack to take him out of the game. Jones can strip-sack with the best of them, so making sure he's dealt with is a priority. I'll be hoping Ram adds another DE to the list. This game we'll need to see in Ginn can hold on to balls, as I imagine PP will be shadowing MT, so we'll need our secondary options to step up. Hopefully Murray continues his strong play from last week and churns out yards. (Also swear to god, whenever Murray runs, it looks like he just tripped, i dunno it looks weird to me).

Prediction:

24-14 Saints

I think playing the in the Dome will be too big of a challenge for the rookie QB, and I think Teddy finishes off strong and we go into the BYE perfect without Brees.

3 hours ago, Dome said:

Brees needs to check his ego at the door. 

It’s his team, nobody is doubting that. But there’s no real reason to play right now other than for his pride and records.

He really needs to just take the extra two weeks to heal up.

I really hope this is just a smoke screen by Sean and Drew to make the Cardinals prepare for both.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dome said:

I don’t think it is... IDK

brees seems like the guy who is going to play if he thinks he can, even if it’s not advised.

I can see both perspectives.  If I'm Brees and I think I'm good to go, I don't want to sit yet another week.  If I'm the team, I'm thinking there's no way he's 100% and needs the extra time.  Especially with Teddy doing so well.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

I can see both perspectives.  If I'm Brees and I think I'm good to go, I don't want to sit yet another week.  If I'm the team, I'm thinking there's no way he's 100% and needs the extra time.  Especially with Teddy doing so well.

I definitely see Brees perspective.

i just think it’s not a team first move. but I don’t really blame him 

I think Bridgewater will start and Brees will be the backup. This will allow Hill to do all his other gadget plays without worrying about not having a 3rd string.

with that said, if one team has a commanding lead, I wouldn’t be opposed to Brees getting his reps in. 

Kamara confirmed out.

this has trap game written all over it. 

i dont think/expect we’re going to lose but I wouldn’t be surprised if AZ hangs around.

we’re gonna come out insanely hyped, can’t burn out In the 1st quarter

Edited by Dome