Week 8 GDT: Cardinals (3-3-1) vs. Saints (6-1) - To Brees or not to Brees

Canadian Saint

3 minutes ago, Dome said:

He became the slot  starter when PJ Williams went down. CGJ was already taking more and more snaps away from PJ before he went down with injury.

I don’t think PJ is getting his job back.

They’re probably similar players as far as effectiveness but the attitude CJG brings has been important to our defense. He’s tenacious and a DAWG.

Two more pass break ups today I see

• Like 1

7-1. Bloody hell, imagine after the Rams game if you had said we'd be perfect rest of the way until the BYE. We've got some kinks to iron out, but man oh man this team is legit. The D is arguably the best D in Payton's tenure. This is the 5th straight game we've allowed less than 300 yards of offense. Brees looked a little rusty early on but settled in nicely. The advantage of playing today is he has the BYE week to iron out all and any kinks with the offense.

I think the BYE week is coming up perfectly for us. We're a little banged up through out, and the 13 days off is exactly what the doctor ordered (not the Jets Dr. obviously). I do think we get another WR by next Tuesday. No way Loomis and Payton look at this and not say one more WR and we're going to be a nightmare to defend against. Especially with the BYE coming up for them to integrate into the offense.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

7-1. Bloody hell, imagine after the Rams game if you had said we'd be perfect rest of the way until the BYE. We've got some kinks to iron out, but man oh man this team is legit. The D is arguably the best D in Payton's tenure. This is the 5th straight game we've allowed less than 300 yards of offense. Brees looked a little rusty early on but settled in nicely. The advantage of playing today is he has the BYE week to iron out all and any kinks with the offense.

I think the BYE week is coming up perfectly for us. We're a little banged up through out, and the 13 days off is exactly what the doctor ordered (not the Jets Dr. obviously). I do think we get another WR by next Tuesday. No way Loomis and Payton look at this and not say one more WR and we're going to be a nightmare to defend against. Especially with the BYE coming up for them to integrate into the offense.

Problem is what are we goign to have to give up to bring in a WR.  We are already down a 2nd and a 7th this year.  So who could we get for a 3rd round pick or what other combination would we have to give up?  Then you add in we are lacking cap space, we would probably need to offer a higher pick so that a team would restructure the deal into mostly signing bonus and eat some cap for us to make the deal to begin with.

49 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

I think it is for sure the best D of Payton's tenure.  Murray is the type of QB that has gashed us in the past.  Really almost every QB we've played this year is like that and we've done a great job other than Watson week 1.

45 minutes ago, Raves said:

Problem is what are we goign to have to give up to bring in a WR.  We are already down a 2nd and a 7th this year.  So who could we get for a 3rd round pick or what other combination would we have to give up?  Then you add in we are lacking cap space, we would probably need to offer a higher pick so that a team would restructure the deal into mostly signing bonus and eat some cap for us to make the deal to begin with.

I reckon we'll target someone that isn't a big name but rather being underused by their team. Someone like Higgins in Cleveland for example who had a good year last season, but is clearly #4 in terms of WRs for the Browns. Maybe they want more draft capital to see if Washington will trade Williams?

1 hour ago, Raves said:

Crowder would make sense if the Jets were willing to deal. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JMG5 said:

He really shouldn't be running streaks...

5 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

I wanna see the all 22 on that play to see what the hell everyone was doing.

I’ll watch the All-22 when it comes out Tuesday, but my educated guess is that cards were playing/showing zone and they knew the Saints could draw Peterson’s coverage with Line.

If Peterson is covering line, that’s a huge win for the offense right off the bat

i think the problem with the play was actually throwing to line (and missing the throw), not having line run deep 

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Dome said:

I’ll watch the All-22 when it comes out Tuesday, but my educated guess is that cards were playing/showing zone and they knew the Saints could draw Peterson’s coverage with Line.

If Peterson is covering line, that’s a huge win for the offense right off the bat

i think the problem with the play was actually throwing to line (and missing the throw), not having line run deep 

Agreed. All on Brees. Bad throw, dumb decision. That's Line in double coverage......not #CantGuardMike 🙄

51 minutes ago, Dome said:

Seems to me like Saints wanted to try a little bit of trickery with line and didn't expect Line to be smothered.  I don't think Brees even looked anywhere else.  If the objective was to draw coverage away, Brees wouldn't have thrown it there.

Edit: Either way, it was a bad throw, and a bad decision.  Bad decision because of the obvious throwing to a fullback in double coverage, bad throw because it wasn't even accurate.  I just think the play was designed to go to Line and Brees' brain took the play off.  A play designed for the fullback to get the ball on a deep route is pretty much dead before it starts.  Had the objective been to have Cardinals best DBs on a fullback and the ball go somewhere else, then yes it was a great play design. 

Edited by Jlowe22