Drew Brees is back

bucsfan333

10 minutes ago, Raves said:

It's not the Saints rushing him back, it's Brees wanting back in.

Players always want in. It's the coaches job to think of the team. Giving him 2 more weeks was probably best for the team. Payton needs to be able to make that call, so this isn't on Brees. Payton certainly can disagree that more time is needed, and that is fine. But this isn't about Brees wanting in, or at least shouldn't be.

1 minute ago, Toddfather said:

Whats Teddy's contract like? Does he get a shot at a starting job next year?

He only signed a 1 year deal to return to the Saints.  So he'll have the same choice again next year that he did this year when he turned down more money/length to be the starter for Miami and instead stayed with the Saints because he liked the fit better.

Just now, candyman93 said:

I’d be surprised if this wasn’t Brees last rodeo. I think Teddy is promised the keys to this franchise.

Might be, Brees' contract ends this year as well so whether it's him wanting to move on or the unthinkable that they decide to just not bring Brees back, Teddy might end up teh starter.  If Brees does play again, I can't see it for more than 1 year after this.

1 hour ago, Raves said:

I personally would've let Teddy finish it off and give Brees another 2 weeks rest.  Couldn't have asked for a better performance out of Teddy B.

That would be the question for me.  The Saints have won 6 (?) in a row with Teddy at QB.  As great as Drew Brees has been, do you really want to mess up the chemistry if no one has been able to beat you with Teddy?

Edited by Uncle Buck

8 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

That would be the question for me.  The Saints have won 6 (?) in a row with Teddy at QB.  As great as Drew Brees has been, do you really want to mess up the chemistry if no one has been able to beat you with Teddy?

Drew is a HOFer. Stop.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Yes you make the change because although Teddy has a better deep ball than Brees now, Brees still does pretty much everything else better and it improves the efficiency of the offense.  Though if Brees decided to hang 'em up after this Super Bowl win, I would not be opposed to giving Teddy a respectable long term deal to be our starter.

51 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

... you're aware that Drew Brees is probably in the "Top 10 QBs of All Time" conversation and still playing at a very high level, right?

Teddy didn't lose games. Drew wins games. There's a pretty big difference between those two statements. This isn't a Tom Brady/Drew Bledsoe situation. Drew was, is and will be the better option for the Saints at any given point.

• Like 6