Ravens vs. the bye

Danand

17 minutes ago, BareYourTeeth said:

Texans are overrated and just lost Watt. I don't mean to sound cocky but New England and San Francisco are pretty much the only two I'm worried about.

Agreed. I’m not saying that we WILL beat any team. But I feel the 49ers game is last seasons Chargers game. And besides that the Patriots, IF we win, we have a shot at 13-3 if all goes according to plan.

For me @Rams worries me a bit more than vs 49ers because of Donald. @Cleveland worries me. And then vs Steelers. All told though every game we play is winnable, especially with the Lamar factor. If the defense improves, I like our chances to win a low scoring game where running the football will be crucial vs most any opponent.

25 minutes ago, BareYourTeeth said:

Texans are overrated and just lost Watt. I don't mean to sound cocky but New England and San Francisco are pretty much the only two I'm worried about.

The Texans have some great players but are very inconsistent. Maybe stems from poor coaching? 

Given the Ravens host the Texans, I'm fine with calling that one a toss up. Should be a close game. 

2 hours ago, DreamKid said:

The last time we faced an undefeated regular season Pats' team was that crazy MNF game in 2007.

This should be a lot of fun.

Watching the game today, New England showed a lot of vulnerability against the run. Obviously that being our strength, New England is going to really spy Lamar and try to make him beat them from the pocket. It'll be interesting to see what game plan we roll out against that team and particularly how our defense plans to stop the short quick throws that Brady loves to do. If we can play lots of press man coverage and force Brady to hold onto the ball we may be in for a great game defensively.

2 hours ago, DreamKid said:

The last time we faced an undefeated regular season Pats' team was that crazy MNF game in 2007.

This should be a lot of fun.

If we stop the Pats on a pivotal 4th down to end the game... only for the stop to be nullified by a Wink Martindale TO, he will not make it out of that stadium alive, there will be hell to pay.

• Like 1

Working our mismatch pieces will be key too. Hollywood, Andrews, and Hurst. The Pat's LBs can't cover them down the seam, and if they try to set their Safeties to the task- Lamar will capitalize. So if Roman has been sitting on fully unleashing our TE duo, this is the game where he needs to stop.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Marlon put on Edelman either. With Tavon out, it's our best chance at neutralizing him. 

Honestly, this game really doesn't feel all that ominous to me. I think it's going to be a fun classic Ravens-Pats match up, and we're going to win.

Can't wait to see how Lamar looks in this one too. For an ultra competitive young QB chasing individual greatness and club supremacy, getting a shot at the Brady-Bill Dynasty on a big stage is a monumental opportunity, moment, and challenge. Let's see what this brings out in him.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Agreed. I’m not saying that we WILL beat any team. But I feel the 49ers game is last seasons Chargers game. And besides that the Patriots, IF we win, we have a shot at 13-3 if all goes according to plan.

For me @Rams worries me a bit more than vs 49ers because of Donald. @Cleveland worries me. And then vs Steelers. All told though every game we play is winnable, especially with the Lamar factor. If the defense improves, I like our chances to win a low scoring game where running the football will be crucial vs most any opponent.

With out losses – a close game against the Chiefs and a manhandling against the Browns in a period where our defense was a real issue, I can’t be that confident that we can go 13-3.

If we are going to beat New England, this is the year to do it, where it is clear they struggle – if we don’t turn it over to their opportunistic defense, I think we can both run against them as well as pass the ball to our tight ends.

Vs. Patriots – Browns and Bills are the most difficult opponents the Patriots have faced, and while their defense is impressive, their offense isn’t. With a bye week, players coming back healthy, playing at home, we have a good chance to win here.

Vs. Bengals – We could not close the first game – we should be able to do that the second time around.

Vs. Texans – They have been so much up and down the entire season, from looking great to losing 34-0 against the Cowboys. Now without JJ Watt and still some oline concerns, we could potentially lock down their best receiving threat with Humphrey and we could takes this at home at it wouldn’t surprise me

Vs. Rams – The Rams are a team that could prove to be a bigger challenge than the rest. Aaron Donald against Bozeman/Skura, I don’t like that. They have some good pieces on both sides of the ball and it is an away game.

Vs. 49’ers – This team is on a roll. If they don’t kill you on the ground, then they have Kittle and a bunch of receivers who can get it done. Shanahan has proved to be a great schemer on the offense, and their front seven is dominant atm. If anything, I see them vulnerable on the outside and against speed, so Lamar Jackson and Justice Hill would be nice to get going.

Vs. Bills – If we can lock their offense down and limit the big broken plays, I think we take this home.

Vs. Jets – This is just a must win game

Vs. Browns – Hopefully this game doesn’t have any real impact besides seeding. It would be nice to do to the Browns what they did to us and show, that the first game was a fluke

Vs. Steelers – This could be one difficult matchup, if the Steelers get their offense going. I think they are building something interesting with a new great defense in pittsbleh

Just going through the games – with how we played so far, I can’t see any reason to not be optimistic, but I would say it would be wise to be cautiously optimistic. There are a lot of games which can swing either way, and if we have an off day against a team we on paper should beat and lose, this division could get close.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Danand said:

With out losses – a close game against the Chiefs and a manhandling against the Browns in a period where our defense was a real issue, I can’t be that confident that we can go 13-3.

If we are going to beat New England, this is the year to do it, where it is clear they struggle – if we don’t turn it over to their opportunistic defense, I think we can both run against them as well as pass the ball to our tight ends.

Vs. Patriots – Browns and Bills are the most difficult opponents the Patriots have faced, and while their defense is impressive, their offense isn’t. With a bye week, players coming back healthy, playing at home, we have a good chance to win here.

Vs. Bengals – We could not close the first game – we should be able to do that the second time around.

Vs. Texans – They have been so much up and down the entire season, from looking great to losing 34-0 against the Cowboys. Now without JJ Watt and still some oline concerns, we could potentially lock down their best receiving threat with Humphrey and we could takes this at home at it wouldn’t surprise me

Vs. Rams – The Rams are a team that could prove to be a bigger challenge than the rest. Aaron Donald against Bozeman/Skura, I don’t like that. They have some good pieces on both sides of the ball and it is an away game.

Vs. 49’ers – This team is on a roll. If they don’t kill you on the ground, then they have Kittle and a bunch of receivers who can get it done. Shanahan has proved to be a great schemer on the offense, and their front seven is dominant atm. If anything, I see them vulnerable on the outside and against speed, so Lamar Jackson and Justice Hill would be nice to get going.

Vs. Bills – If we can lock their offense down and limit the big broken plays, I think we take this home.

Vs. Jets – This is just a must win game

Vs. Browns – Hopefully this game doesn’t have any real impact besides seeding. It would be nice to do to the Browns what they did to us and show, that the first game was a fluke

Vs. Steelers – This could be one difficult matchup, if the Steelers get their offense going. I think they are building something interesting with a new great defense in pittsbleh

Just going through the games – with how we played so far, I can’t see any reason to not be optimistic, but I would say it would be wise to be cautiously optimistic. There are a lot of games which can swing either way, and if we have an off day against a team we on paper should beat and lose, this division could get close.

Agree with most of the above. My bolded is how I could see it. 13-3. How I see it happening when I’m feeling optimistic. If we were to lose another game or two I think it’s this game against the Patriots as well as one of our divisional games against the Browns or Steelers.

With Lamar under center we’ve generally beaten the teams we need to beat. We’ve generally handled the really bad teams (minus division opponents). So I suppose that’s why I’m confident.

The way I look at the schedule the only teams remaining that I fear to beat us are the ones with the proven coaches. Bill Belichick obviously, I’m confident in Harbaugh over much of the rest of the field. Sean McVay I think can do some things, but mainly Aaron Donald scares me. He’s an interior game wrecker. Which should allow the Rams to crash the edges to take care of Jackson. Then stepping into the pocket will also be difficult. If Lamar can make Donald look stupid, then he deserves the MVP just off of that alone.

49'ers are a team atm which I am more concerned with. They are steamrolling and play well in all aspects of the game. While it is still possible to score on them, they have a front 7 which can control the game. If we can't get the interior push in the running game, I am afraid we will be too easy to stop unless our passing game improves.

My hope is, that the coaching staff have taken the time with Lamar Jackson to focus on the throws he could have made already to open guys, where he chose his favored targets. While he is a better passer this year, the area where he needs improve is the ability to spread the ball around better instead of keyeing in on Andrews. 

That will also help us with the quicker passing game, where I think both Hurst and Boykin provides some playmaking ability if they get the ball in space

2 minutes ago, Danand said:

That will also help us with the quicker passing game, where I think both Hurst and Boykin provides some playmaking ability if they get the ball in space

I think Hollywood is the better option for in space. Has the more reliable hands and spatial awareness. With Boykin I’d be afraid he’d pull a Metcalf.

Though you might be right in that getting him some shorter passes might warm up his hands for the intermediate attack.

Biggest takeaway from the Browns/Pats game is how important our preparation/mentality going into the game is going to be. The Pats were obviously better than the Browns, and their defense absolutely deserves the hype - but it was also so evident how rattled the Browns were before the game even started. Some of that is just the lack of discipline they have in general which I think stems down from Kitchens, but that series of turnovers - especially the botched shovel pass - was to me the manifestation of a team that was playing tight and waiting to screw up. 

I think one of the biggest reasons why over the years we were able to have success against the Pats is that we just treated it like any other game and Harbaugh didn't come in feeling like he needed to do a million new things to outsmart Belichek. We have to have that same sort of purpose on Sunday. I worry a little bit that Lamar is going to be a little too amped for this game - first primetime game of the year and thus his first game with a national audience since everyone declared his career over after the Chargers playoff game (something that I think he's going to be aware of), going against his idol/the GOAT and Belichek and really looking at this as an opportunity to silence the haters once and for all... and as much as I think that competitive nature/chip on his shoulder is a huge part of what makes him great, this is exactly the sort of game where it can be weaponized against him. We need to be boring next Sunday - we win that game by not handing the game to them with dumb turnovers and penalties. We can win if we're eating up clock by running the ball effectively, not by having Lamar throw the ball 40 times against the best pass defense in the league and try to win a shootout against Tom Brady. You don't want to muzzle Lamar too much because ultimately his success is predicated on Harbaugh trusting Lamar to be Lamar... but we desperately need to avoid a situation where's he's forcing things and/or getting down on himself. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp
  • Like 3

Honestly while the Seattle game was a great step in the right direction, i still see this team losing 3-4 more games. I'm going to stick with my offseason prediction and say we round out the year 10-6. That should be enough to win the division and get that home playoff game.

I think if we beat New England this Sunday we fall in Cincy for the trap game, but not vice-versa, so I say New England @Cincy will be 1-1 either way

I think Texans @Rams is most likely a 1-1 although realistically that could end up an 0-2

49ers @Bills needs to be a 1-1 if not 2-0 but most likely 1-1

Jets, @Browns, Steelers needs to be at least a 2-1 to finish out the year, but if we go 0-2 against Texans @Rams that stretch probably needs to be a 3-0

1 hour ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Biggest takeaway from the Browns/Pats game is how important our preparation/mentality going into the game is going to be. The Pats were obviously better than the Browns, and their defense absolutely deserves the hype - but it was also so evident how rattled the Browns were before the game even started. Some of that is just the lack of discipline they have in general which I think stems down from Kitchens, but that series of turnovers - especially the botched shovel pass - was to me the manifestation of a team that was playing tight and waiting to screw up. 

I think one of the biggest reasons why over the years we were able to have success against the Pats is that we just treated it like any other game and Harbaugh didn't come in feeling like he needed to do a million new things to outsmart Belichek. We have to have that same sort of purpose on Sunday. I worry a little bit that Lamar is going to be a little too amped for this game - first primetime game of the year and thus his first game with a national audience since everyone declared his career over after the Chargers playoff game (something that I think he's going to be aware of), going against his idol/the GOAT and Belichek and really looking at this as an opportunity to silence the haters once and for all... and as much as I think that competitive nature/chip on his shoulder is a huge part of what makes him great, this is exactly the sort of game where it can be weaponized against him. We need to be boring next Sunday - we win that game by not handing the game to them with dumb turnovers and penalties. We can win if we're eating up clock by running the ball effectively, not by having Lamar throw the ball 40 times against the best pass defense in the league and try to win a shootout against Tom Brady. You don't want to muzzle Lamar too much because ultimately his success is predicated on Harbaugh trusting Lamar to be Lamar... but we desperately need to avoid a situation where's he's forcing things and/or getting down on himself. 

Agreed. Some things I saw on film were Lamar being a little too open with the ball on some of those rushing plays.

Whats more the games where Lamar runs for over 100 yards have seemingly been out closest games. So if I’m New England, I stuff the run up the middle and focus on eliminating the big plays to Andrews/Brown. Let Lamar beat you “by himself” with his legs. Force him to throw to the weapons he’s uncomfortable with and put hits on him as he leaves the pocket. That would be my gameplan. So especially if Lamar falls into the trap of TRYING to beat Brady and do too much, that could potentially be a problem.

That said, I trust Lamar to do his thing. I trust him to play smart enough. I trust him to listen to Harbaugh about how he needs to approach this game. I also trust that he’s probably spent the off week getting his footwork back in sync to where he was against the Dolphins so as to avoid some of the deep throw miscues he’s had.