Shurmur Fired, officially stuck with Dopey Dave thread

Giants4eva

48 minutes ago, Giants4eva said:

Here's what even more concerning now that we are approached 4 weeks left of this misery of a season. Who in their right mind wants to come in here and even coach this team? There's alot of the dreaded "p" word (potential) that is sitting on offense and like zero anything sitting on defence. And besides the coach what free agent is wanting to play for a team that is going to take a long time to become even playoff contenders?.. This is as bad as ive ever seen

What coach is going to want to have to work with Gettleman?

I’m ready to move on from Shurmur as well. It’s frustrating to see the same mistakes over and over. He talks like the team is improving, but every Sunday it’s the same story. 

I hate to use the term, but we need to move past these beta male head coaches. Shurmur and McAdoo were both cut out to be coordinators at best. We need a HC that can inspire and lead a team. Shurmur is just not that guy. He doesn’t have the personality. 

I’d be perfectly fine with Ron Rivera. O.546 career record compared to Shurmur’s 0.279. I wouldn’t mind reaching into the college ranks for a HC either. 

The reason I wanted to give Shurmur a chance is because I feel like Daniel Jones has played well for a rookie, and continuity would be good for a young QB. But I’m starting to think Jones is actually being held back by Shurmur. He’s smart enough to learn a new playbook. 

Edited by Gmen
  • Like 3

I actually like Rivera and think he would put together a competent staff. However, ownership has to stay out and let the HC put together his staff. If he wants to hire Joe Blow as OC, then let him.  Don’t bring back Shula bc he has NY ties. 

Norv would be nice for Jones I think. 

• Like 2

Gettleman is an easy target, but tbh he's drafted well and gotten us out of a lot of back contracts. Has he been perfect? No. But he has improved the roster. The team still obviously needs work, but the coaching staff has been an utter and complete failure. I would love to see Rivera. I actually think he's a perfect fit for NYG. He's well-respected, tough, and defensive minded - all true blue traditional traits. If the staff is canned after this season, I would be very surprised if Rivera isn't the incumbent.

1 hour ago, w4rrior723 said:

Gettleman is an easy target, but tbh he's drafted well and gotten us out of a lot of back contracts. Has he been perfect? No. But he has improved the roster. The team still obviously needs work, but the coaching staff has been an utter and complete failure. I would love to see Rivera. I actually think he's a perfect fit for NYG. He's well-respected, tough, and defensive minded - all true blue traditional traits. If the staff is canned after this season, I would be very surprised if Rivera isn't the incumbent.

How has Gettleman drafted well? What big contracts did he get out of? Vernon?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, w4rrior723 said:

Really? We could really use a pass rusher and he got rid of JPP. For what exactly? Ogletree a bad trade. No compensation for Landon Collins. Don’t even get me started on Odell.

As for draft. Saquon Barkley, was a hit. But he hasnt built around him successfully. Wasting his prime years. Will Hernandez great pick. Carter and Hill have been nothing more than solid so far. Picked Daniel Jones shown promise. I know some fans on here were saying he’s already better than Darnold. Yeah you might wanna slow down there. DeAndre Baker I’ll give benefit of doubt. Dexter Lawrence has shown a great deal so well done there. Easily our best pick of the draft. Darius Slayton has done very well too. This past draft was definitely better. His drafting hasn’t been bad. Pretty decent but it’s the other moves that have been horrible. 

Edited by Kip Smithers

3 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Really? We could really use a pass rusher and he got rid of JPP. For what exactly? Ogletree a bad trade. No compensation for Landon Collins. Don’t even get me started on Odell.

As for draft. Saquon Barkley, was a hit. But he hasnt built around him successfully. Wasting his prime years. Will Hernandez great pick. Carter and Hill have been nothing more than solid so far. Picked Daniel Jones shown promise. I know some fans on here were saying he’s already better than Darnold. Yeah you might wanna slow down there. DeAndre Baker I’ll give benefit of doubt. Dexter Lawrence has shown a great deal so well done there. Easily our best pick of the draft. Darius Slayton has done very well too. This past draft was definitely better. His drafting hasn’t been bad. Pretty decent but it’s the other moves that have been horrible. 

Solder contract was terrible too.  He’s worse than Flowers minus the penalties. 

Hill, Carter, Barkley, Hernandez have not improved this year. They looked like foundational pieces last year and have regressed or stagnated this year. Something to keep in mind 

Personally, I’d like Ed Dodds at GM. And a coach that uses analytics. If Rivera is anti analytics then I don’t want him. And an OC that uses Barkley in space. You know... that thing he’s good at but Shumar won’t do bc going out in space is for wimps! Running up the middle with a bad center is for real men!  

Also, if nothing else, Hal Hunter has to go.  The OL is terribad.  My grandmother with Alzheimer’s can do as good a job as Hal for a lot less

Edited by Kodaraw

1 hour ago, Kodaraw said:

Solder contract was terrible too.  He’s worse than Flowers minus the penalties. 

Hill, Carter, Barkley, Hernandez have not improved this year. They looked like foundational pieces last year and have regressed or stagnated this year. Something to keep in mind 

You really must’ve forgotten how bad Flowers was. Solder has not been good but Flowers was horrible. It’s the money that we pay Solder which  compounds it.

56 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

You really must’ve forgotten how bad Flowers was. Solder has not been good but Flowers was horrible. It’s the money that we pay Solder which  compounds it.

Solder has given up more sacks than Flowers ever did in a full season. Oddly enough, flowers is playing decent at OG. Coaching is big  

11 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Doesn’t even mention Leonard Williams which was the most boneheaded move of the regime. We’d be better off with the two picks and keeping Dalvin Tomlinson for cheaper, but he’s one of Reese’s guys...

6 hours ago, Kodaraw said:

Personally, I’d like Ed Dodds at GM. And a coach that uses analytics. If Rivera is anti analytics then I don’t want him. And an OC that uses Barkley in space. You know... that thing he’s good at but Shumar won’t do bc going out in space is for wimps! Running up the middle with a bad center is for real men!  

Also, if nothing else, Hal Hunter has to go.  The OL is terribad.  My grandmother with Alzheimer’s can do as good a job as Hal for a lot less

When Gettleman gave that press conference making fun of the “nerds with their calculators” I died a little on the inside. It showed me that our new GM was a close-minded manchild who does not use all of the resources at his disposal to build a football team.

I’m not asking for Sashi Brown ffs, I’m just asking for an adult. Gmen wants an “alpha male” head coach...but the alpha male masquerading as our GM isn’t doing so hot.