So the 9ers are Legit?

Chiefer

7 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Jesus...

I don't assume that fans of other teams watch Ohio State, which is why I worded it that way. I personally can't stand college football in general - only watch OSU religiously because my wife went to the school. Other "big" games I will only watch if we're not doing anything else. 

I think Young is better athletically than both and while he's probably not as good technically, he's clearly improved there this year. I'm sure the Bengals or Dolphins will go for the QB, but it would be a shame if this guy wasn't the top pick. And if he can stay on this tear the Heisman should be in the conversation.

23 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

I don't assume that fans of other teams watch Ohio State, which is why I worded it that way. I personally can't stand college football in general - only watch OSU religiously because my wife went to the school. Other "big" games I will only watch if we're not doing anything else. 

I think Young is better athletically than both and while he's probably not as good technically, he's clearly improved there this year. I'm sure the Bengals or Dolphins will go for the QB, but it would be a shame if this guy wasn't the top pick. And if he can stay on this tear the Heisman should be in the conversation.

Some of the finnies are actually saying they can't pass up Young. Must be awesome if he's making them turn away from QBs

15 hours ago, Forge said:

The thing is, I think the narrative is that it's a great defense carrying a bad / mediocre offense and quarterback. The team has two real flaws - red zone td percentage and turnovers (jimmy g ints), but everything else is at least average if not better. 

• Offensive points per drive - 13th
  • Yards per drive - 13th
  • 3rd down conversion rate - 8th
  • Time of possession per drive - 6th
  • Offensive points per game I believe is 2nd, with total points per game 3rd. 
  • yards per game 6th. 
  • 3 and out rate - 2nd. 
  • Offensive dvoa - 10th 
  • 1st in net yards per drive, 2nd in net points per drive
  • 13th in offensive points per drive
  • 2nd in time of possession. 
  • 11th in rushing yards per attempt (without their starting two tackles)
  • 8th in passing yards per attempt
  • And I believe that they are the least penalized team in the NFL (obviously good both offensively and defensively)

Don't get me wrong. They aren't the Chiefs or anything. But the narrative that they are a great defensive team carrying a bad offense or something is not the right one, either, I think. The bears did have some great rate stats on a per drive basis last year,  but at the same time had a fairly bad offense with regards to some efficiency (30th in passing yards per attempt, 26th in rushing yards per attempt, almost two yards lower in the former and over 1 yard less in the latter) and 20th in dvoa

I do think the offense is mediocre. Their rankings are above average, but the competition they've played has not been. The reason I think they are comparable to the Bears is because the Bears offense also looked pretty good in the first half of the season last year - Trubisky even had a 6 TD game - but they have some serious red flags at QB and WR. They're obviously a playoff team and will win the NFC West - but the offense will be the thing that stops them from winning it all IMO.

1 minute ago, FrantikRam said:

I do think the offense is mediocre. Their rankings are above average, but the competition they've played has not been. The reason I think they are comparable to the Bears is because the Bears offense also looked pretty good in the first half of the season last year - Trubisky even had a 6 TD game - but they have some serious red flags at QB and WR. They're obviously a playoff team and will win the NFC West - but the offense will be the thing that stops them from winning it all IMO.

I mean, they did just torch what was perceived to be a good defense leading into the game, but I suppose now that the 49ers have crushed them, they are no longer any good, even though they are still 5th in defensive dvoa. Pittsburgh actually has a top 10 defense by dvoa as well. The rams are 4th. So 3 of their 7 games have been against defenses in the top 10 in dvoa. Tampa bay is 15th, and is the best run stopping unit in the NFL. So 4 of their 7 games have been against top half defenses by dvoa. I honestly don't know what else can be asked there. Now, while those teams may not end up at the end of the season where they are at now, we can't really view that for a few more weeks. And the 49ers are doing most of this while starting their 4th and 5th string tackles, so there should be an uptick in play once they can actually let the offense loose (hard to trust those tackles on something like a 7 step drop to let people get downfield)

And while chicago did have a nice stretch at one point last year, they also struggled mightily out of the gate, essentially throwing the football 35 times to hit 200 yards. Their good stretch coincided with the best defense they played finishing 16th in dvoa (New England). Tampa Bay was the worst defense in football (that's the team he torched for 6 touchdowns). The other two teams were Miami and the Jets. They torched the Lions, who finished 27th and the Giants who finished 24th. Go back and look any time they played a good defense, and the team was terribad. They couldn't must 200 yards against the Bills. Against the Vikings, they threw the ball 57 times for barely 300 yards (328). They ran the ball effectively in the second matchup against the Vikings, not so much the first time. Trubisky threw the ball 30 times for 110 yards against the rams. They struggled against teams like Green Bay (29th) and SF (23rd). 

• Like 4

On 10/27/2019 at 6:06 PM, EagleBlueDon said:

They're a legit playoff contender, that's where I cut their chances off though. Their only relatively impressive win is against The Rams in LA (Rams are pretty meh anyway). Beyond that, any above average team with a cross country HFA goes undefeated against that schedule. Context tells me everything about this team. Vs. SEA twice, GB, NO and BAL will determine 90% of my opinion on this team.

Why does everyone think Seattle is some great team? I mean I get the 'hurr durr Russell Wilson the goat' talk, but they are the luckiest team in the NFL. 

The niners are +130 in net points. Seattle is +12. +12 with 6 wins! 

Lets recap their games:

Bengals 20 - hawks 21. Bengals missed a last second FG to win the game. the bengals should have won this game

Steelers- 26 - Hawks 28. Ben gets hurt. Seahawks get the ONLY REVERSAL on a PI call in the NFL this season to ice the game. It was one of the more blatant missed calls this season, which says something. It was not PI

Saints 33-  Hawks 27. This was a blowout. Seahawks were down 20 late in the fourth quarter. the score is not any where close to how the game went

Cards 10 - Hawks 27

Rams 29 - Hawks 30 - again, missed FG as time expired for the other team. lucky win

Ravens 30 - hawks 16 

Falcons 20 - Hawks 27 - Hawks were up 24-0 at half, but were only able to squeak a 7 point win out after Matt freaking Schwab threw a pick in a goal to go situation late in the 4th. Falcons are a bad team

The seabirds have a bad defense. Their OL is bad. Their Wrs are ok. No TE worth a damn. RBs are average to above average. They are a bad team with a good QB and a pretty good coaching staff. 

Seattle is the biggest pretender in the NFC and I don't expect them to make the playoffs

5 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Yes, the Ravens that year didn't play one megastar QB except Rich Gannon in the AFC title game. Other than that I'd say Mark Brunell as a distant 2nd. The AFC sucked that year hard for passers. I think it was Gannon, Manning, Brian Griese for 10 games and that was it. 

No one ever talks about the Ravens defense that year being overrated though. 

99-02 was a WOAT level period of QB play. At that time people were concerned where the next group of superstar QBs was gonna from on. Well aside from Peyton 

1 hour ago, N4L said:

Why does everyone think Seattle is some great team? I mean I get the 'hurr durr Russell Wilson the goat' talk, but they are the luckiest team in the NFL. 

The niners are +130 in net points. Seattle is +12. +12 with 6 wins! 

Lets recap their games:

Bengals 20 - hawks 21. Bengals missed a last second FG to win the game. the bengals should have won this game

Steelers- 26 - Hawks 28. Ben gets hurt. Seahawks get the ONLY REVERSAL on a PI call in the NFL this season to ice the game. It was one of the more blatant missed calls this season, which says something. It was not PI

Saints 33-  Hawks 27. This was a blowout. Seahawks were down 20 late in the fourth quarter. the score is not any where close to how the game went

Cards 10 - Hawks 27

Rams 29 - Hawks 30 - again, missed FG as time expired for the other team. lucky win

Ravens 30 - hawks 16 

Falcons 20 - Hawks 27 - Hawks were up 24-0 at half, but were only able to squeak a 7 point win out after Matt freaking Schwab threw a pick in a goal to go situation late in the 4th. Falcons are a bad team

The seabirds have a bad defense. Their OL is bad. Their Wrs are ok. No TE worth a damn. RBs are average to above average. They are a bad team with a good QB and a pretty good coaching staff. 

Seattle is the biggest pretender in the NFC and I don't expect them to make the playoffs

No one thinks Seattle is a great team but great QBs make things happen. Plus, they're very hard to play in Seattle.

1 hour ago, MookieMonstah said:

Jimmy G will be San Frans demise come playoff time. He's struggled and he's played some pretty bad defenses, its going to be interesting to see how he does against some of the better defenses coming up on the schedule.

I cant help but laugh when I see this (no offense, you aren't the only one saying this)

1) Garoppolo didn't trust his knee early on. It was messing with his footwork and his throwing mechanics. He has gotten stronger each week and has continued to improve in a game by game basis. The knee and his trust in the knee is getting back to pre-injury status. He is starting to look really sharp

2) Garoppolo is absolute money on third down. If someone has some advanced stats about third down passes, please post them. I think he must be one of the best QBs in the league this year on third downs. The efficiency rate is absurd. It helps us play ball control and keep the defense fresh. He was super clutch two years ago when we got him, he led multiple game winning drives and was always his best on third down. He is a very clutch QB. Its why I just laugh at this and don't get why people keep saying they don't think he will be able to preform in the clutch, he has been the very definition of clutch since the moment he put on the red and gold. 

3) Our WR play has been substandard, especially early. Its why we traded for Sanders. Having him and kittle makes guys like Goodwin and deebo Samuel 3rd and 4th options, which should make our passing game better. The fact that now dante pettis will basically be inactive is also good. 

4) Missing both OTs and our FB has limited the amount of deep passes we are able to take. Deep passes helps keep things open in the run game

5) LETS NOT FORGET HE HAS KYLE SHANAHAN CALLING PLAYS

3 minutes ago, N4L said:

I cant help but laugh when I see this (no offense, you aren't the only one saying this)

1) Garoppolo didn't trust his knee early on. It was messing with his footwork and his throwing mechanics. He has gotten stronger each week and has continued to improve in a game by game basis. The knee and his trust in the knee is getting back to pre-injury status. He is starting to look really sharp

2) Garoppolo is absolute money on third down. If someone has some advanced stats about third down passes, please post them. I think he must be one of the best QBs in the league this year on third downs. The efficiency rate is absurd. It helps us play ball control and keep the defense fresh. He was super clutch two years ago when we got him, he led multiple game winning drives and was always his best on third down. He is a very clutch QB. Its why I just laugh at this and don't get why people keep saying they don't think he will be able to preform in the clutch, he has been the very definition of clutch since the moment he put on the red and gold. 

3) Our WR play has been substandard, especially early. Its why we traded for Sanders. Having him and kittle makes guys like Goodwin and deebo Samuel 3rd and 4th options, which should make our passing game better. The fact that now dante pettis will basically be inactive is also good. 

4) Missing both OTs and our FB has limited the amount of deep passes we are able to take. Deep passes helps keep things open in the run game

5) LETS NOT FORGET HE HAS KYLE SHANAHAN CALLING PLAYS

He's 35/51 85 rating on third down.

On the 3rd and 4-6 though, he's 15/19, 120 rating.  

I don't know how that compares to other QBs,  seems pretty good though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

69% completion percentage is pretty good I'd say. Curious to know how many times he completed a pass on 3rd that didn't go for a 1st down 

4 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

He has really good attributes, really bad ones. He's not flawless. Just an average type quarterback right now in my opinion. People act like he's just not good though, or like he isn't a starting caliber quarterback,  which is weird. I'm assuming that it's just because he hasn't had to win a game on his own yet.  If this defense and running game can continue playing as is, that's enough. The Saints game will be a really good barometer because I Think your defensive front will shut down the run game, so it'll fall on him.