Bill O'Brien Hot Seat Thread

Texansfan713

3 hours ago, Marco79 said:

Izzo is out, along with John Butler and Charles London.

Hopefully we in 2018 special teams can be somewhat competent. 

So they're trying to pin the secondary on Butler. Vrabel gets a pass for scuttling a top 5 defense to the 30s. 

I'm not ready to throw Vrabel out with the bathwater quite yet, but if some team hires him as HC they are nuts. I'm actually impressed O'Brien kicked Butler to the curb as he was one of the few Penn St guys he brought along with him and like Vrabel, was a reasonably hot commodity last year.  

Rick Smith killed the secondary, not Vrabel.  Letting Bouye walk will go down as one of the most colossal GM blunders in NFL history as young Pro Bowl Corners with man-to-man cover skill are the closest thing to the unicorn in the NFL.  Next to a franchise QB, finding the perfect corner for your system is the most difficult thing to find and once you do, like letting a franchise QB walk, should never happen. 

Joseph had a decent season for a 33 year old corner with a balky groin, but the signs of decline showed last year and reliance on his ability to cover in man clearly required a transition plan away from him, not leaving him out on an island.  Hal played to his talent level, but that talent level is 7th round depth, not starting Free Safety. I'm not blaming Vrabel for Kareem Jackson who has proven to be uncoachable, still making the same mistakes he did 8 years ago.  Strong Safety was an absolute joke with Rick Smith using his 1998 analytics to again determine that SS is the position to churn with his gaggle of late round special teamers and street free agents.  There is no scheme that could hide Corey Moore or Marcus Gilchrist or expect them to bail out the J's.  That leaves Kevin Johnson which I'll probably give equal blame to GM and coaches.  Counting on him being durable flies in the face of his entire career in college and with us or just looking at the spindley Will Fuller body that isn't built for contact.  Now I do think he has talent, but he looked lost out there AGAIN this season which is a coaching failure, 3 years into it.  

Now even as flawed as "the plan" was with the aforementioned 6 guys, what Rick Smith did in the secondary with the remaining 4-5 depth spots was nothing short of malpractice.  How are you supposed to "coach up" a secondary when the GM churns this gaggle of street garbage from August to December.  As a reminder this WAS NOT due to injury - we didn't place a single secondary player on IR until Week 17 w/Corey Moore.  21 players "coached" for CB/S and that's not even counting the practice squad or that our starting safety (Gilchrist) wasn't signed until August (a week before preseason).  That is a ROSTER problem.

1. Robert Nelson
  2. Denzel Rice
  3. Malik Smith
  4. Marcus Roberson
  5. Lonnie Ballentine
  6. Bryce Jones
  7. Marcus Burley
  8. Johnthan Banks
  9. Marcus Williams
  10. Marcus Cromartie
  11. Ibrahiem Campbell
  12. Kurtis Drummond - opening day roster
  13. Dee Virgin - opening day roster
  14. Treston Decoud - rostered all season
  15. Eddie Pleasant - rostered all season

Gotta love that with the Chiefs choking away another playoff game, the Texans get to again be mentioned as the 1 in the Chiefs 1-11 playoff record (that lovely 30-0 gem O'Brien pulled off with a brain damaged Hoyer).  Honestly, I think it's a net positive for us as I like Mularkey keeping a ceiling on the Titans progress and they might have fired him with a one and done and there is a Pats/McDaniels connection with GM Jon Robinson . As for Andy Reid, he continues to prove he is the most overrated coach in the NFL now that Fisher is gone.  Refs didn't do them any favors, but Reid forgot NFL Rushing Champ Kareem Hunt was on his team again with his head in his Denny's menu, just like their midseason 1-6 slump.  Dude is just an awful, awful playoff coach and isn't going to have Gruden around telling people how great he is next year. 

4 hours ago, texans_uk said:

Makes sense if you aren't firing him. We've discussed at length the downside of a lame duck coach. 

It's not like these contracts will count against any salary cap or have any early termination penalties. If O'Brien continues to flounder, you can fire him and all that means is McNair has to cut him a check before he leaves. No lost picks, no money against your cap - just let him go.

I'm willing to give him a season with a new GM. Smith was the problem; O'Brien has his flaws, but part of that is because he had a horrible roster. 

2 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

It's not like these contracts will count against any salary cap or have any early termination penalties. If O'Brien continues to flounder, you can fire him and all that means is McNair has to cut him a check before he leaves. No lost picks, no money against your cap - just let him go.

I'm willing to give him a season with a new GM. Smith was the problem; O'Brien has his flaws, but part of that is because he had a horrible roster. 

again,  while I agree Smith was the problem.  It wasn't 100 percent on him.  O'Brien has had some say in the roster as well.  He deserves as much blame as making this roster crap.  He doesn't have an eye for talent and he cant develop talent. 

I don't believe for a second he didn't have a say in bringing in Fitzpatrick, Hoyer, and Mallett. 

Archived