Bill O'Brien Hot Seat Thread

Texansfan713

Been banging this drum for two years.  Texans have been a mediocre to below average team the entirety of O'Brien's tenure, but hanging AFC South banners of shame seems to be enough for the McNair's and t-shirt fans that just want to get drunk and fat in a parking lot.  The following is MORE of indictment against Rick Smith as far as I'm concerned as the year before we lost 14 straight games and Rick Smith was still retained because it was all Kubiak and Schaub's fault.  Nope, when you build 1/3 of a team retaining only 1st rounders and a sprinkling of others while also sitting out free agency and letting your talent walk without replacement, you stay in this perpetual cycle of mediocrity. Time for fans to do what it takes to make the McNair's pay attention and that means an empty NRG (even if they report it as a sellout).

• Against the AFC South, the Texans are now 15-6 (.714), losing three of the last four match-ups. Against the rest of the league, the Texans are 15-20 (.429). Half the team’s wins have come against the AFC South. Our AFC South opponents are 117-196 (.374) over that span.
  • The Texans are 15-3 (.833) against the Jaguars, Titans, and Bengals, which makes them 15-23 (.395) against the rest of the league. JAX, TEN, and CIN are a combined 91-171 (.347) since BOB took over.
  • Against teams .500 and worse, which of course includes most of the AFC South every season, the Texans are 22-8 (.733) since O’Brien took over. Those teams have an overall record of 147-309 (.322).
  • Take out the AFC South, and the Texans are 9-6 (.600) outside of the AFC South versus teams .500 and worse (overall 80-143 (.359)).
  • Against teams better than .500, the Texans are 8-18 (.308), while those teams are a combined 255-121 (.678). Three of the eight wins are against Tennessee and Cincinnati.

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I'm sure McNair gobbles this garbage up. I expect nothing to be done with Smith or OB. This team and it's owner are soft

5 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I mean I never thought he'd resign, so this seems like a meaningless article.

Still too much pressure from the media on getting rid of BOB. More pressure needs to be on getting rid of Smith

14 hours ago, mse326 said:

I mean I never thought he'd resign, so this seems like a meaningless article.

Still too much pressure from the media on getting rid of BOB. More pressure needs to be on getting rid of Smith

They both should have the same amount of pressure.  O Brien has as much blame as Rick Smith as far as talent evaluation. 

31 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

They both should have the same amount of pressure.  O Brien has as much blame as Rick Smith as far as talent evaluation. 

Well I disagree with that completely. Everything has always indicated Smith takes who he wants and ignores what he wants. And it's been happening longer than BOB's been around.

32 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Well I disagree with that completely. Everything has always indicated Smith takes who he wants and ignores what he wants. And it's been happening longer than BOB's been around.

let's discuss this.

i don't believe not one second rick smith takes guys without o brien's approval.  It's not a coincidence most of the qb's we brought in on this team were former Patriots. Based on what I have been hearing both guys have a say in who to bring in on this team. O'Brien was winning off Kubiak's guys.  Name guys that have been on the team during O'Brien's tenure that he has developed into something.  I can guarantee the list is little. 

Clowney

McKinney

Fuller (when healthy)

Jury is still out on Watson.

I said it from the get go once the AFC South gets a little tougher O'Brien will be exposed like the fraud he is, and don't give me the injury excuse this season either. We were losing games WITH Watson behind center. I feel for the next team that hires him as HC. 

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I read somewhere that teams almost never let a coach go into the last year of a contract which means we either fire or extend BOB this off season. I can't even stand the thought of giving him an extension. 

Was probably me.  It's not totally unprecedented (Marvin Lewis), but Texans have never done it and it supposedly makes retaining coaches/attracting free agents more difficult and creates situations where if things don't start well players will start tuning out and looking out for their own self-interests because they know their lame duck coach is a goner (although I've always thought this part is overstated as players tune out bad coaches regardless of contract status - see Vance Joseph / Mcadoo, etc).  Jim Caldwell, Lions got an extension in September to avoid "lame duck" status this year.  Frankly, I think O'Brien would be fine with getting a one year extension thru 2019 as long as Rick Smith was gone and he got some input on a replacement (Pioli, Caserio). 

Honestly, I don't think attracting players that want to block for Deshaun Watson is going to be a problem since he even made Breno Giacomini look competent for 6 weeks and what secondary FA wouldn't want to sign up for a team that has Watt/Mercilus/McKinney/Clowney up front?  As for losing coaches, if someone actually thinks Mike Vrabel is remotely ready for a head coaching gig, I'd encourage them to look at how the Broncos faired with a guy with one mediocre year of coordinating under their belt.  If Vrabel is smart, he'd stay put knowing that O'Brien is going to be on a pretty short leash regardless of contract status and he pretty much would be in a no lose situation as if the Texans start out slow, O'Brien could very well get canned mid-season and get him a chance for an interim try-out and if things turn around quickly, he's going to be one of the top candidates for some other plum gigs next offseason (Denver?, Dallas?)

The Texans paid Brock Osweiler $21 million to play one season of football, then the Browns paid him $16 million to go away  - even if the Texans fired O'Brien after giving a 4 year/$24 million extension he goes away without the $9 million cap hit or costing us a 2nd rounder and 6th rounder. NFL coaches salaries are fully guaranteed, but usually include offset language that minimizes it if the coach is hired by another NFL team (Eagles only had to pay $500k of Chip Kelly's 2016 salary vs. $6.5 million with the 49ers signing him thru 2019).  

10 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

Name guys that have been on the team during O'Brien's tenure that he has developed into something

10 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

Jury is still out on Watson.

... really. Hmm.

Archived