FF Midseason Check-Up

RandyMossIsBoss

Midseason Check-Up  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied with your OL?

2. 2. Are you satisfied with your OC?

3. 3. Are you satisfied with your DC?

O-line: Should have voted neutral due to injuries. Let's see how they perform when Wynn returns.

Hard to say with McDaniels; everything trickles down when the o-line is struggling.

Belichick is essentially our DC and we don't need much explanation why we are pleased here.

Edited by Elky

49ers: Yes, yes, yes. The O-line is performing miles above my expectations given the circumstances with  injuries. Jimmy getting rid of the ball so quickly helps a ton with the passing as well, even if it seems to lead to at least one bone-headed decision a game. OC and DC doesn't need any explanation I think. 

Edited by evilflamingo

Offensive line, run-blocking wise, has been solid.  They struggled mightily against the Bucs... but who hasn't?  Otherwise they have done a good job opening up holes for McCaffrey.  

Pass blocking is a different story.  They haven't been very good.  The first two games, you could argue that they looked worse than they did because of Newton's inability to move due to his injury, but they didn't look much better (if at all) with Allen and then got dismantled by the 49ers.  No shame in letting the 49ers pass rush go off, but it wasn't their first time struggling.  The issue are the tackle positions.  Moton has regressed this season and while Little/Daley, our two rookies, have performed well at LT, injuries have forced us to play Williams there a lot more than we'd like.  Williams cost himself a lot of money signing a 1yr deal, I think.  But you never know with OL in FA.  See:  Matt Kalil. 

Norv Turner, all things considered, has done a good job.  There are calls he'll make, especially in the redzone, that really make you question things.  For example, the fake Philly Special call in Week 2.  Or when he asked McCaffrey, at the goal-line, to attempt a pass.  I think a lot of our redzone struggles can be pinned on him.  However, he's done a good job otherwise.  The main issues with the offense have been pass protection and an inexperienced QB.  Other than redzone play-calling, if I had to offer enough criticism, it is that I don't think he's using Samuel or Moore correctly.  But that could also be because Samuel and Moore aren't as good as I thought they were.  I kind of believe that more-so with Samuel, but I think Moore's legit - Allen just isn't someone who can really push the ball 15+ yards downfield with much consistency.  But really, no major complaints about Turner from me. 

Defensive coordinator is Rivera, and outside of the 49ers game (which I genuinely believe was just Shanny drawing up a masterful gameplan; some of the run designs and play-fakes were incredible), he's done an excellent job.  The pass rush is incredible and we're playing more aggressive later in games even when having a lead.  Run defense has been below average to terrible, but I'm not sure how much of that is on Rivera.  Short is out for the year and our best OLBs aren't exactly fit to defend against the run (Burns, Irvin, Addison, Miller, Haynes... none of them are big guys who can really set the edge vs run).  If Rivera comes back next year, I'd like to see him go and get a strong edge defender.

To sum it up:

OL: Run blocking is good.  Pass blocking is bad.

OC (Norv Turner): Redzone play-calling is mediocre at best, questionable if he's using Moore and Samuel to the best of their ability.  Does a nice job giving Allen quick options in the passing game, utilizes McCaffrey to the best of his abilities.  Overall doing a good job.

DC (Ron Rivera): Fantastic, but run defense could be better.  Needs to do a better job preventing guys from breaking open downfield too.

Edited by iknowcool

• The Raiders o-line has been absolutely incredible. However we lost Hudson early last week to a lower leg injury and it'd TBD how severe it is.
  • I love what Gruden has done with this O, utilizing a strong running game, TE heavy packages and limiting.
  • Our Dis hoooooooorrible. Little talent but also our scheme is wack. We had a LB cover Hopkins last week on like 80% of his receptions.

Yes, no, no.

Going into the season, I would have told you no across the board for these questions - but a healthy Texans OL is pretty good. Tunsil, Howard and Scharping have really turned this unit around, and the drop-off between Howard and Johnson/Clark is significant.

OL - Not really. Ifedi has regressed, Duane has been banged up, Fluker looks old and slow, Britt is now out for the season. Iupati has been the OL's best player thus far. Not exactly a ringing endorsement for this unit. The run blocking has been good enough though.

OC - There have been stretches of frustration, but over all Scotty has been calling good games. Him and Russell seem to have figured out each other, and how to cooperate. Good mix of run, playaction, and adaptation. The OL has been one of the worst pass blocking units in the NFL, but Scotty and Wilson have been able to scheme around it. 

DC - Norton / Pete have been.... eh uninspiring. The pass rush has been non-existent. And Norton seems content on conceding the short passing game, leaving the team susceptible to death by 1000 cuts. 

OL has played well for the most part. They aren’t a very talented bunch individually but get the job done. MN no longer has a bottom five OL holding them back.

Stefanski has been a great hire so far. He’s taken components of Kubiak’s system and has been consistent in the commitment to the run. And actually uses playaction to help Cousins. The Vikes have an explosive passing  offense and Cook is always breaking off big runs.

Zimmer is basically the Dcoordinator. Coverage has been concerning as of late and the pass rush hasn’t been as good. Zimmer probably wants to be more aggressive but I question if he trusts his CBs at the moment. Been more effective in zone defense so far this year. Can’t say I’m pleased with the defense but I’m not sounding the alarm yet either. 

Edited by vikingsrule