Ryan Pace's Future

WindyCity

I do not expect anything to happen with Pace, but I think their needs to be a serious conversation about his job and whether he keeps it.

His spectacular blowing of the QB decision in the 2017 offseason has crippled this franchise. He paid Glennon 18 million dollars, cap space we desperately need right now, he trades up for Trubisky and bypasses much better QBs, and now the Bears are left with a 2nd overall bust and limited cap space and draft resources to address the most important position in football.

I am also not sure he even hired the right coach at this point.

People will point to his draft record, but even that at this point is not looking stellar or all that impressive as his 2018 class did not take the step forward that we expected, and the 2017 class looks to have regressed.

He won't be fired, but he probably should be.

Really good thread that should spark good conversation, Windy.

I actually think if this season is a 4-12/5-11 finish, they will fire Pace. I know everyone has their meathead takes on the McCaskey's but George is different and doesn't seem to be like the rest. He knows the QB miss is borderline insurmountable. His record would be horrific at that point. 

8 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Really good thread that should spark good conversation, Windy.

I actually think if this season is a 4-12/5-11 finish, they will fire Pace. I know everyone has their meathead takes on the McCaskey's but George is different and doesn't seem to be like the rest. He knows the QB miss is borderline insurmountable. His record would be horrific at that point. 

You cannot fire Pace and keep Nagy.  They are pretty much a package deal since Pace will have 2 years remaining and Nagy 3 years remaining after this season with regards to their respective contracts.  You also have to ask the question who would be the GM in the unlikely scenario that Pace is let go and they keep Nagy?  No new GM will want to be tied to a lame duck head coach heading into next season and I don't think Nagy is a head coach you would give GM responsibilities to.

Regardless of what happens the rest of 2019 I believe they will be given another shot next season to right the ship.  2020 will be a make or break year for both.  Book it!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

You cannot fire Pace and keep Nagy.  They are pretty much a package deal since Pace will have 2 years remaining and Nagy 3 years remaining after this season with regards to their respective contracts.  You also have to ask the question who would be the GM in the unlikely scenario that Pace is let go and they keep Nagy?  No new GM will want to be tied to a lame duck head coach heading into next season and I don't think Nagy is a head coach you would give GM responsibilities to.

Regardless of what happens the rest of 2019 I believe they will be given another shot next season to right the ship.  2020 will be a make or break year for both.  Book it!

It happens all the time.

Why should Pace get another chance to pick a QB? He was nuclear explosion wrong on the biggest move of his career.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

It happens all the time.

Why should Pace get another chance to pick a QB? He was nuclear explosion wrong on the biggest move of his career.

He shouldn't. I just don;t think it makes sense to fire Pace and keep Nagy. 

Who would they bring in to be Nagy's GM, his own handpicked guy?  Those types of situations usually never end up working well

Let them both have one more year together with a new QB that is Nagy's preference and if it doesn't work then you blow things up and hit the reset button and start fresh with a new GM/HC in 2021.

• Like 1

Lame duck coaches happen all the time. I don't want to hear "that cannot happen." It's common. So what? If Nagy's good next year, he sticks around with the new GM. Put some pressure on him. Keeping Pace means he gets to pick another QB. After signing Glennon, drafting Trubisky and wanting Mariota, I'm not sure the fourth time's a charm.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Lame duck coaches happen all the time. I don't want to hear "that cannot happen." It's common. So what? If Nagy's good next year, he sticks around with the new GM. Put some pressure on him. Keeping Pace means he gets to pick another QB. After signing Glennon, drafting Trubisky and wanting Mariota, I'm not sure the fourth time's a charm.

You make good points that I agree with but I just don't see that happening.  I truly believe that Pace and Nagy are a package deal and we will not see Pace fired before Nagy.  Trubisky also has one year left on his rookie deal so I also think Pace doesn't go before that contract is off the books.  

Pace is not a bad GM IMO it just appears he doesn't know how to scout QB's.  Let Nagy handle the QB question and offensive side of the ball and Pace the defensive side moving forward, which he seems to be much better at anyway.

Like I said, if you allow for that next year and the offense doesn't show vast signs of improvement then you will know that it is not going to work with either of these two moving beyond that.  McCaskey can still put pressure on these guys by putting them on notice after this season that next year is a make or break year.

Just now, topwop1 said:

You make good points that I agree with but I just don't see that happening.  I truly believe that Pace and Nagy are a package deal and we will not see Pace fired before Nagy.  Trubisky also has one year left on his rookie deal so I also think Pace doesn't go before that contract is off the books.  

Pace is not a bad GM IMO it just appears he doesn't know how to scout QB's.  Let Nagy handle the QB question and offensive side of the ball and Pace the defensive side moving forward, which he seems to be much better at anyway.

Like I said, if you allow for that next year and the offense doesn't show vast signs of improvement then you will know that it is not going to work with either of these two moving beyond that.  McCaskey can still put pressure on these guys by putting them on notice after this season that next year is a make or break year.

Does anything really matter if the guy cannot fix the QB position?

That is like saying he is a good chef, but he cannot cook your steak well at all.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

Does anything really matter if the guy cannot fix the QB position?

That is like saying he is a good chef, but he cannot cook your steak well at all.

You act as if it is so easy to find a franchise NFL QB.  If it were then every team would have one.  I just want to note that a bunch of other GM's are looking pretty foolish right now for  passing on Lamar Jackson when you consider who went ahead of him..i.e. Mayfield, Darnold, Allen and Rosen.

Pace effed up royally by not taking Watson ahead of MT but that is in the past and cannot be reversed.  To think a new GM will just come in next year and  get us that franchise QB we've been longing for is extremely wishful thinking.  If they're going to do that then why not just wait until 2021 when we actually have a 1st round pick again and not try to force it with limited resources in 2020?

You are also putting a lot of faith in the McCaskey family/Ted Phillps to go out and find a GM that actually knows how to evaluate QB talent...something they've never been capable of doing before.

As much as Nagy and Pace have made some boneheaded decisions recently I would give these two another chance.  I feel like this an overreaction.  Pace build a championship caliber defense, and has brought in offensive pieces around Trubisky.  Yeah it looks like Trubisky isn't going to work out, but if they can fix the QB position next year the window for a championship is still open.  You have to remember that Pace alone picked Trubisky.  Nagy and Pace are joined together for better or worse.  Let those two make the decision on the next QB.  If they fail again it's time to rebuild anyway.  I'm not giving Pace a pass on Trubisky, but I feel that he has made more right decisions than wrong.

2 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

You act as if it is so easy to find a franchise NFL QB.  If it were then every team would have one.  I just want to note that a bunch of other GM's are looking pretty foolish right now for  passing on Lamar Jackson when you consider who went ahead of him..i.e. Mayfield, Darnold, Allen and Rosen.

Pace effed up royally by not taking Watson ahead of MT but that is in the past and cannot be reversed.  To think a new GM will just come in next year and  get us that franchise QB we've been longing for is extremely wishful thinking.  If they're going to do that then why not just wait until 2021 when we actually have a 1st round pick again and not try to force it with limited resources in 2020?

You are also putting a lot of faith in the McCaskey family/Ted Phillps to go out and find a GM that actually knows how to evaluate QB talent...something they've never been capable of doing before.

It is a very hard thing to do.

How many tries do we give Pace? 

I’m saying everyone from Pace down is on the hot seat but they all get next season. I don’t believe they take a QB in the draft next year and only bring in a vet to compete with Trubisky. If it’s just as bad next season then I think it all gets blown up. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

It is a very hard thing to do.

How many tries do we give Pace? 

As I said Pace should not be involved in that decision for next year.  All he has to do is go out and get the guy that Nagy wants at a reasonable cost and see if that works.  And if not then say bye bye to both and start fresh.

4 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

I’m saying everyone from Pace down is on the hot seat but they all get next season. I don’t believe they take a QB in the draft next year and only bring in a vet to compete with Trubisky. If it’s just as bad next season then I think it all gets blown up. 

I'm with you man.  This is the most likely scenario.