Drafted Goldman
Drafted Amos
Drafted Cohen
Drafted Jackson
Kept Fuller
Kept Whitehair
Found Callahan
Found RRH

The problem is none of those guys are QB's.

If they're going to keep Pace and Nagy, I'd let Nagy sign Mariota or trade for Foles (despite what everyone knows I think of Mariota), use a 4 or 5 on a QB and then try to win next year. If it doesn't work, fire everyone and go from there with Saleh as HC and Manning as GM.

Edited by beardown3231
  • Like 1

It wasn't his fault our last GM was a moron and resigned Cutler.  We had no choice but to take a QB that draft and we chose the wrong one. Watson should've been the pick but I understood Tru.  (No one thought Mahomes was gonna do what he's doing)  

Now if he doesn't cut Mike Davis and get our 4th rounder back that's a big wtf imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

I agree that Pace isn't "bad."

Traded for Mack
Signed Hicks
Signed Amukamara
Signed Massie
Signed Robinson
Drafted Goldman
Drafted Amos
Drafted Cohen
Drafted Jackson
Kept Fuller
Kept Whitehair
Found Callahan
Found RRH

The problem is none of those guys are QB's.

If they're going to keep Pace and Nagy, I'd let Nagy sign Mariota or trade for Foles (despite what everyone knows I think of Mariota), use a 4 or 5 on a QB and then try to win next year. If it doesn't work, fire everyone and go from there with Saleh as HC and Manning as GM.

Interesting combo lol.  As in Peyton Manning?

I'd like to give Louis Riddick a shot as the next GM if Pace doesn't work out.  Guy is super smart and knows what it takes to build a winning culture.

• Like 1

I’m not as down on Pace for whiffing on a Trubisky draft picks don’t always work out, I am how ever down on him because if Trubisky didn’t work out he left the Bears no where to go because he traded every asset needed to try and get another QB. 

• Like 1

Pace put together an elite defense and more than enough skill on offense to put up 20+PPG, but the HC and QB aren't meshing. Nagy has had stretches of horrendous playcalling, but he was fine until the conservative "let my kicker just make it please" kneel yesterday. Tru is not working out in this system and is not going to be worth the big deal he would likely want to stick around.

@soulman You know way more of the financial side than I do, could a team agree to take on the remaining salary bonus for a player that already has it guaranteed? I've seen teams take over the rights to players and each their cap hit for an additional pick or something, but IDK if that can be done with those guaranteed bonuses. If so I am dangling a few guys that might get cut anyway so someone might take Tru's $9 mil guaranteed off the books, if not then he is going to be stuck since no one would trade for him (though I'd still put him out on the trade block in case someone has a freak accident or really botched the position in the draft).

Pace has turned the team into a talented group, this isn't the wasteland Emery left behind, but the most important position is still a mess. Nagy deserves flack for Tru's lack of development, but we can't say for sure that he has failed Tru in practice since we aren't there and seeing what is going on. So no matter what both should get this year and next year.

Nagy himself picks his QB, it is HIS job. If he wants Foles, then Amukamara alone should be able to net him (since they lost Ramsey in the trade) and he gets a vested pro that knows his system. If he likes an accurate QB that is in a pro system, then Fromm is going to be available in the 2nd. Don't play around and try to get your guy wiith the later one, just secure the damn spot. If you want both and have them fight for the spot, fine, IDC. Prove you can develop a QB.Nagy staying relies on his offense being substantially better though. If we are losing the games in the same manner, scoring under 20 points then Nagy s fired after the 2020 season. To be completely honest, I'd call Andrew Luck directly. He is retired so it isn't tampering, and I'd ask f he has been healing well and would think of returning if he was able to play for Chicago. Maybe if IND extends Brissett they would be willing to sell his rights.  It is a long shot but getting turned down isn't a crippling move here, and there isn't a higher ceiling move that can be made IMO.

No one could have seen the OL falling apart like this. They have improved a lot from the first few games but still aren't playing that well. It was supposed to be a strength of the offense. HH needs fired. The OL has regressed a lot under him.

Pace built up a very talented roster but made the wrong pick at QB. Glennon was a swing that I'm not going to hold against him too much, the deal was set up for him to be cut easily after one year. I really believe he was trying to make it seem like the Bears were out of the market for a QB in the draft but he heard rumblings that people were still trying to jump them. Pace should have his job tied to the overall record and defensive adjustments. Everyone knew losing Hicks was gong to hurt, a lot. But not having a real run stuffer behind him is frustrating. They made the move for Urban, but that is a patch that may or may not work. They should have had more size and power in a reserve in case either Goldman or Hicks went down. Big guys like that are limited athletes but re a really valuable asset when you have athletic ILBs. Pace needs to plug holes and find more valuable assets to replace some of the aging vets. Angelo and Emery failed to do so and it crippled the team for years.

If in 2020 they fail then they fail together and can be fired together.

In 2021  m not just being a meathead fan but Peyton Manning is cerebral and while he hs ruled out coaching in the meantime he has the level or respect and authority to be a GM that EVERYBODY will listen and follow. He is on the short list of potential GMs for me, but  want him consulting the QB position and aiding their development. Other GMs  I'm looking at are Nick Caserio (the guy who basically set up to become GM in NE while McDaniels becomes HC). Ravens assistant GM Eric DeCosta is another guy to look at, he helped spot talent for them for years and saw a team rebuild an offense to fit their QB (novel idea, right?).  The Vikes George Paton has a solid resume with their roster being built up, and finding some serious talents in the draft too. Maybe not for GM but for scouting or player development I'd look at Jeff Foster, who is huge in the NFL Combine's doing.

For HCs I am not looking at any defensive minds. There will always be someone who wants to head a talented defense, and that shouldn't be that hard to find. Hell I would make Pagano the highest paid DC in the NFL if need be. Back to the candidates though, I wouldn't mind pairing McDaniels with Caserio, but he cannot be given the power he had in Denver. He may be a d-bag but the man simply can develop QBs, and if that could happen with our defense we are talking Super Bowls. In SF they had hardly even seen Jimmy G, but they knew he had been working with McDaniels daily so they knew he'd have been developed. That is a reputation that is crazy hard to earn, and shows his respect in the NFL circle. Brady, Brissett, Jimmy G, etc. They guy works well with QBs and can do it with spread, 2 TEs, or whatever, period. I've been a fan of DeFilippo for years, so he is on the list as well of course. He had McCown/Manziel/Austin Davis combine for 20 TDs and only 12 INTs.  When the best players around them were Barnridge and Travis Benjamin that is a hell of a feat, but he  has Minshew playing well, a history with Foles (if he is here), etc. Kellen Moore is moving up my list, I liked his move to coaching since he was so limited physically but mentally he was apparently a genius. He work with Dak and understanding how to use the run game are great. He would absolutely use Montgomery and develop a QB IMO. Harbaugh seems to be better suited to the pro game but IDK if I trust him, though his offense had Kaep and he helped fix Alex Smith so he will adapt scheme to players. Lincoln Riley has put up 2 number one overall picks and has Hurts flying up the boards. He LOVES to run the ball and is constantly trying to find mismatches to attack, so I think he may help in the run and pass game. Plus he obviously has an ability to elevate QBs, just hope that translates to the pro game.

3 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Yes, Peyton

When you say Peyton, I am assuming you mean Eli...   

/sarcasm

FML, can you imagine the blank stares during every conference? lmao

Realistically my dream scenario that will never happen would be to sign Peyton and trade for Luck's rights so he can come out of retirement as a Bear.

Edited by Sugashane

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

It is a very hard thing to do.

How many tries do we give Pace? 

Here is how I think about the situation. You only get one shot at being a GM, rarely do GMs go on to a second team. GMs like other roles need experience to learn from their mistakes and get better over time. Do you think it really makes sense to give up on Pace so quickly and start fresh with a brand new GM. Ozzie Newsom messed up with Kyle Boller and still continued to be the GM and made it right with Flacco. 

Hitting the reset button every couple of years is not a good way to run an organization. 

• Like 2

Just now, Madmike90 said:

Getting rid of Pace this offseason would be a terrible move...as would getting rid of Nagy...both are clearly talented guys who for all the rough edges could be long term answers...both should get one more QB choice.

Pace wanted Mariota (bust). Pace signed Glennon (he sucks). Pace traded up for Trubisky (bust).

I don't think I want him close to the next choice unless it's exclusively Nagy's call, and in that case I hope he swallows his pride and admits so.

3 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Pace wanted Mariota (bust). Pace signed Glennon (he sucks). Pace traded up for Trubisky (bust).

I don't think I want him close to the next choice unless it's exclusively Nagy's call, and in that case I hope he swallows his pride and admits so.

I feel it will be.

14 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Getting rid of Pace this offseason would be a terrible move...as would getting rid of Nagy...both are clearly talented guys who for all the rough edges could be long term answers...both should get one more QB choice.

I am not sure it would be a terrible move.

He had so much "conviction" and "consensus" in Mitch that to me the mistake is only doubled.

You cannot be nuclear disaster bad in the most important decision a GM makes.

9 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I am not sure it would be a terrible move.

He had so much "conviction" and "consensus" in Mitch that to me the mistake is only doubled.

You cannot be nuclear disaster bad in the most important decision a GM makes.

Look at Dave Caldwell in Jax.  He took Bortles 3rd overall gave him a big contract extension cut him and still has a job and now he's looking pretty good at the QB position with Foles and Minshew.

The only way I could justify firing Pace after this season is if he remains fully committed to Mitch as the unquestioned #1 QB of this team by exercising his 5th year option.  If he does that then I will lose complete faith in him.  Part of being a good GM is admitting when you were wrong and not trying to prolong the inevitable hoping that something just magically clicks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

Look at Dave Caldwell in Jax.  He took Bortles 3rd overall gave him a big contract extension cut him and still has a job and now he's looking pretty good at the QB position with Foles and Minshew.

The only way I could justify firing Pace after this season is if he remains fully committed to Mitch as the unquestioned #1 QB of this team by exercising his 5th year option.  If he does that then I will lose complete faith in him.  Part of being a good GM is admitting when you were wrong and not trying to prolong the inevitable hoping that something just magically clicks.

The Jaguars are not a good team, they have won nothing, and they got lucky with a rookie QB who may come back to Earth.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The Jaguars are not a good team, they have won nothing, and they got lucky with a rookie QB who may come back to Earth.

Key word "may". What if he doesn't?  Right now he's playing pretty darn good football and looks like a fearless vet out there.  Pretty rare to see that from a rookie 6th round pick.  I'm not convinced he's just a flash in the pan.

And I wouldn't say they are a bad team they are probably league average overall, but Minshew's play is definitely keeping them in the mix right now.