Aaron Jones

Golfman

On 10/28/2019 at 1:34 PM, Cakeshoppe said:

A bit of a digression, but I wonder what Ty Montgomery would have looked like in this offense. Absent the stigma he got at the end of his time here for the fumble incident, I think he’d fit much better in this offense than he did in McCarthy’s. 

as an RB3 with KR/PR skills, he'd be a good fit for this roster
And his ability to split out wide is handy too, but I think there were questions about his ability to catch over-the-shoulder throws

7 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Lot of people already saying get rid of our second best play maker? Doesn't seem too smart to me. 

He's not going to get Zeke, Gurley or Bell money. I'm fine with giving the 26 year old with limited touches a second contract. 

So are you thinking 4 years $30 million like McKinnon or 3 years $15.6 million like Duke Johnson? I’d take 3/18 but above that... 😬

7 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Lot of people already saying get rid of our second best play maker? Doesn't seem too smart to me. 

He's not going to get Zeke, Gurley or Bell money. I'm fine with giving the 26 year old with limited touches a second contract. 

I don't think there is a single person who is saying get rid of him no matter what. 

Every person has a value in mind they would be willing to extend him for. If it takes more, sometimes a lot more to extend him then you have to make that business decision and let him walk or trade him. 

BTW, that is the same conversation GM's have with every player on the roster. Fans, we speculate as if we were the actual GM. 

1 hour ago, Golfman said:

I don't think there is a single person who is saying get rid of him no matter what. 

Every person has a value in mind they would be willing to extend him for. If it takes more, sometimes a lot more to extend him then you have to make that business decision and let him walk or trade him. 

BTW, that is the same conversation GM's have with every player on the roster. Fans, we speculate as if we were the actual GM. 

Aaron Jones is going to get a good contract , and rightfully so.

Theres a lot of “ don’t pay RB” people. 

So without saying it, theyre basically getting rid of him .

I feel like the never rb truthers are out in force. While I’m for not using a top 15 pick on a rb or paying Zeke money on rbs, there is value in a good one. Jones can abuse lbs in routes and has averaged a yard more a carry than a mediocre rb (Williams) throughout his career. That is valuable.

Assuming the production holds Jones deserves money when the time comes and honestly I’d support him if he held out next year since RBs get screwed under the current system. I think it would be smart to give a guy worth 8-10m a year making 600k a pay bump in the offseason. It’s that or burn a few premo draft picks (which outside Jones, we haven’t hit on one in a long time... lacy was the only special talent one and he had issues)

Yeah, let him play and see how he holds up.  That said, I think we see how impactful a versatile good RB is.  Take Jones off the Packers, and the offense looks a LOT different.  A lot of offensive opportunities that disappear if you go back to having mediocre/bad RB's.  

It seems that a lot of teams are more committed to both running the ball, and to using RB's to catch passes.  I wonder if the valuation of RB's may perhaps be rising around the league?  

• Like 1

Here's a link to positional spending from OTC
If you click on the RB column, you'll note that GB comes in at # 31, not much invested at the position with a bunch of guys on late round rookie deals

What's also interesting is that MLF is a Kyle Shanahan protege, and the 49ers are # 2 in RB spending -
- both because they gave a big deal to McKinnon and because they have a pretty deep stable of RBs

https://overthecap.com/positional-spending/

If Jones wants top 12 cash, he can stay in GB. If he wants Top 5 cash, adios amigo
 here's a link to current contracts, click on RBs to see the $$$

https://overthecap.com/contracts/

6 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

as an RB3 with KR/PR skills, he'd be a good fit for this roster
And his ability to split out wide is handy too, but I think there were questions about his ability to catch over-the-shoulder throws

The problem with Montgomery was that he just wasn't particularly good at anything. He did not scare people as a runner, and he did not scare people as a receiver. And yes, he was lousy at catching over-the-shoulder throws. He wasn't a good returner either. Mike McCarthy's insistence on playing Montgomery was one of the black marks on his coaching record in his last few years. It's partly on Ted Thompson for not getting him better players, but McCarthy should've pulled the plug on the Montgomery experiment long before he did. So far Matt LaFleur has been much more willing to abandon things that don't work. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Greg C. said:

The problem with Montgomery was that he just wasn't particularly good at anything. He did not scare people as a runner, and he did not scare people as a receiver. And yes, he was lousy at catching over-the-shoulder throws. He wasn't a good returner either. Mike McCarthy's insistence on playing Montgomery was one of the black marks on his coaching record in his last few years. It's partly on Ted Thompson for not getting him better players, but McCarthy should've pulled the plug on the Montgomery experiment long before he did. So far Matt LaFleur has been much more willing to abandon things that don't work. 

Agree with everything above including but limited to Ty Montgomery never being anything but a JAG as a WR or at RB. 

And on the point about being willing to abandon things that don't work, it has been refreshing to see Gute being willing move on from his own mistakes -- the most glaring being Kizer, instead of keeping them around in hopes of justifying his decisions.

It is also very refreshing to see players like T. Brown and Chandon Sullivan get PT ahead of a 2nd round pick in Josh Jackson because they deserve (in the coaches opinions) to be on the field ahead of him.

The days of gifting playing time to players like Rollins/Spriggs/Josh Jones just because they were high picks is hopefully over.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Agree with everything above including but limited to Ty Montgomery never being anything but a JAG as a WR or at RB. 

And on the point about being willing to abandon things that don't work, it has been refreshing to see Gute being willing move on from his own mistakes -- the most glaring being Kizer, instead of keeping them around in hopes of justifying his decisions.

It is also very refreshing to see players like T. Brown and Chandon Sullivan get PT ahead of a 2nd round pick in Josh Jackson because they deserve (in the coaches opinions) to be on the field ahead of him.

The days of gifting playing time to players like Rollins/Spriggs/Josh Jones just because they were high picks is hopefully over.

And lets hope future high picks will be deserving of playing time over UDFAs and/or lower draft picks.   

Unless this team gets a sudden influx of talent at skill positions this team would be stupid not resigning Jones. Outside of Adam's he is the only other player that consistently is a mismatch for other teams. You pay those type of guys. I dont care what his title is rb or wr......

8 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Didn't we gift Darnell Savage a starting spot this year?

From The Athletic

In 2018, 17 RBs in the NFL saw 60 or more targets in the passing game. The Packers haven’t had a back with 60 or more targets since Ahman Green in 2006.

Turn the page to 2019, and a new era is here. The LaFleur-led offense is currently fourth in the NFL in targeting RBs in the passing game:

1. Patriots: 93 targets

2. Chargers: 86

3. Saints: 75

4. Packers: 74

The RBs have produced 63 receptions for 594 yards and seven TDs in the passing game this season.

Jones leads the team with 42 targets, putting him on pace for 84 and enough to eclipse the 60-plus target drought.