Aaron Jones

Golfman

15 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

A bit of a digression, but I wonder what Ty Montgomery would have looked like in this offense. Absent the stigma he got at the end of his time here for the fumble incident, I think he’d fit much better in this offense than he did in McCarthy’s. 

Fair enough.

Jones is much quicker and smoother.  Finds cut backs with ease.  And he's caught a few balls over the shoulder and adjusted to long downfield throws.  That wasn't Monty.  Anything coming over the top wasn't being caught.

Williams is much more physical of a back.

I think Monty would have ended up on the bench.  And that takes nothing away from what Monty did when he was thrust into a RB role here. 

7 hours ago, Golfman said:

What is the price going to be for Aaron Jones after next year assuming he stays relatively healthy? Do you pay it if you are Gute?

6 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Aaron Jones is signed already for 2020.  He will be 26 when his contract is up.  I pay too much if it's a short contract.  If he wants any kind of 5 year deal or long term deal I let him get us a third round compensatory pick. 

AFTER NEXT YEAR which I stated in the topic. 

19 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Dalvin Cook has played in 68% of the offensive snaps, Aaron Jones has played in 60.3% of the snaps.  Aaron Jones has 1 game of 20+ rushing attempts and 2 games of 15+ rushing attempts.  Dalvin Cook has 5 games of 20+ rushing attempts and 7 games of 15+ rushing attempts.  Dalvin Cook has proven to be better.  You're assuming Aaron Jones will continue to produce at his current level.

Yes, proven to be better this year as a runner with substantially more touches. 

Why wouldn't I assume that Aaron Jones will continue to produce at this level?  As a receiver there is a night and day difference between the guy who dominated last night and the guy we seen fighting the ball in week 1.  He's getting better and better every week

27 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

A bit of a digression, but I wonder what Ty Montgomery would have looked like in this offense. Absent the stigma he got at the end of his time here for the fumble incident, I think he’d fit much better in this offense than he did in McCarthy’s. 

Monty was useless when it came to running the football.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Golfman said:

So what is the MONEY you would offer him, otherwise you'd let him walk? 

Assuming he's healthy and keeps producing, when he is up he deserves to be paid in the J McKinnion/Devonte Freeman tier of RBs adjusted for inflation (when healthy a fringe top 10 rb that can be a weapon in the passing game). That puts him at 9-10 a year, which I'd have no problem paying. The issue with any back is the years. I'd want no guaranteed money in 2024 when he's 29 going turning 30.

4 years 40M with 20 guaranteed and the 4th year being essentially a team option sounds right.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cakeshoppe said:

IIRC we had a two game stretch where we threw him the ball a ton and he had like 20 catches and it was rather successful then we proceeded to target him like 20 times the rest of the year. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

IIRC we had a two game stretch where we threw him the ball a ton and he had like 20 catches and it was rather successful then we proceeded to target him like 20 times the rest of the year. 

That Bears game in 2016 he looked amazing. 2016 in general I was impressed by his game and thought he could do really well as a kind of positionless weapon. In 2017 he was used as a more traditional running back and sucked

39 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

That Bears game in 2016 he looked amazing. 2016 in general I was impressed by his game and thought he could do really well as a kind of positionless weapon. In 2017 he was used as a more traditional running back and sucked

That’s pretty close to how I remember it. I’d be more persuaded that Ty Montgomery could have been good in this offense if he splashed a bit more with Baltimore or the NYJs. He was more productive with us. I still think it’s an interesting question.

If you were a GM/coach team would you follow a tight plan for the kind of players you want at the offensive skill positions or just draft the talent as you find it and adjust your plays to fit the playmakers?

I think the Packers have been much more the first way than the second over the last few decades, but maybe things are changing. Honestly, 5’ 9” Aaron Jones probably wouldn’t be the Aaron Jones we are talking about now without the coaching change. Even with a couple of drops in the mix, the routes he has been running have truly weaponized his talents. I watch to be entertained, and the Aarons and MLF are delivering. 

Edited by Uffdaswede

9 hours ago, SSG said:

Yes, proven to be better this year as a runner with substantially more touches. 

Why wouldn't I assume that Aaron Jones will continue to produce at this level?  As a receiver there is a night and day difference between the guy who dominated last night and the guy we seen fighting the ball in week 1.  He's getting better and better every week

My point exactly.  Dalvin Cook has done more with more touches and playing a bigger role in the offense.  Dalvin Cook is better than Aaron Jones.  There's no shame in that.  Dalvin Cook is a good player.  As for your question, it's anything but a given.  He's averaged 12 GP since he entered the league.  His career high in attempts is 133 attempts back in 2018.  As you've already mentioned, he's on the smaller size for RBs and he's had durability concerns based on previous injuries.  Either way, we're getting further and further from the original point, which was that he wasn't getting elite RB money.

11 hours ago, SSG said:

Monty was useless when it came to running the football.  

That may be the stupidest thing you've ever said. And, boy, you've said a lot of stupid stuff!

"David Bakhtiari is a bust",  "Devante Adams is a bust" :Kebby Clark is a bad draft pick", "Signing Preston  and Za'Darius Smith  were bad and desperate signings".

And now you say, "Monty was useless when it came to running the football."

FYI, Monty ran for over 5 yards a carry for the Packers. I believe it was something like 5.2 yards on around 170 carries. He was also a big reason the "Packers ran the table" in 2016... That's actually the opposite of "useless".

Hey, we all know how desperate you are to hate the Packers. But still, making stuff up is just bad form.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Donzo said:

That may be the stupidest thing you've ever said. And, boy, you've said a lot of stupid stuff!

"David Bakhtiari is a bust",  "Devante Adams is a bust" :Kebby Clark is a bad draft pick", "Signing Preston  and Za'Darius Smith  were bad and desperate signings".

And now you say, "Monty was useless when it came to running the football."

FYI, Monty ran for over 5 yards a carry for the Packers. I believe it was something like 5.2 yards on around 170 carries. He was also a big reason the "Packers ran the table" in 2016... That's actually the opposite of "useless".

Hey, we all know how desperate you are to hate the Packers. But still, making stuff up is just bad form.

Not expanding on the post history of SSG, but......

Monty is the exact reason why you let Jones and his future contract sit for a while.

Monty had an amazing run of games for us.  Then became a dud.

While I don't think Jones would ever be a "dud", he does need to prove durability more in order to get paid handsomely.   That's about my only knock on him.  Durability and consistency.  No doubt he's a better runner of the football and he's proving to be a very valuable receiver.  Just needs to do it more.

12 hours ago, Cakeshoppe said:

I'd take Monty as a hybrid weapon in our offense in a heartbeat. Rather see him on the field than Sheppard or probably Allison. At least he could make plays in space.

• Like 1