Aaron Jones

Golfman

19 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Dalvin Cook has played in 68% of the offensive snaps, Aaron Jones has played in 60.3% of the snaps.  Aaron Jones has 1 game of 20+ rushing attempts and 2 games of 15+ rushing attempts.  Dalvin Cook has 5 games of 20+ rushing attempts and 7 games of 15+ rushing attempts.  Dalvin Cook has proven to be better.  You're assuming Aaron Jones will continue to produce at his current level.

This is an odd take to me.  Can you explain what about this shows him to be better?  All I get from this is the Vikings run Cook more, but they also A) don't have Rodgers at QB and B) don't have a 2nd RB at the level of J. Williams either.  Can you explain how getting more carries for 8 games in a single season is definitive proof a player is better?  Because Jones outproduced Cook on a per touch basis up until 2019, and is clearly gaining productivity.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CWood21 said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/running-back/

You've got elite RBs making $13M+, and then there's a massive drop when you get into that second tier ($6.5-$8.5M). That 3rd tier pops up around $4-$5.25M.  Teams aren't paying big bucks to non-premium RBs.  Look at the RBs who are getting paid in that top tier.  You've got Ezekiel Elliott ($15M/year), Todd Gurley ($14.4M), Le'Veon Bell ($13.1M), and David Johnson ($13M/year).  Aaron Jones ain't sniff David Johnson money.

21 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Of those RB's that were paid....  How many of those teams would like to back out of those deals now?  I've 2 for sure in Johnson and Gurley.  And maybe a third in Bell.

Your analysis of what Jones should get paid is spot on in my book.  If you want him to be paid higher, I'd suggest some substantial bonuses tied to production.

And the Jets are reportedly open to trading Bell.

Paying top tier for RB's is a risky proposition.

9 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

And the Jets are reportedly open to trading Bell.

Paying top tier for RB's is a risky proposition.

Bell isn't your typical top tier RB.  On top of being a locker room cancer, he's a 27 year old RB who was fresh off sitting on his couch for a full year.  He also had a historic usage rate prior to taking the year off.  Dude's going to be 28 next year and he's looked awful this year.  Yes, paying top dollar for a 27 year old who was ridden into the ground by his prior team is a risky proposition.  

That's like using the example of Antonio Brown and saying it's risky to pay top tier WRs.  

With the top tier RBs being more and more irreplaceable in the passing game I think this is a narrative that is going to change soon enough.  Outside of a couple QBs, there likely isn't a player in the league that is more valuable to his then Christian McCaffrey is too Carolina.  Aaron Jones has been a much bigger factor in this team's success this year than Davante Adams.  I'm not saying he is but we're fresh off a 4 game winning streak that has DA17 looking completely expendable.  You could make the argument that we'd be a 3 or 4 loss team this year without 33.  

I don’t care how much he gets paid. I’d be watching him until the end of the Packers season to see how he finishes. If he finishes strong and helps us win critical games I’m for trying to give him a decent extension this off season.  If he does it again next year on his rookie contract it will be hard to keep him. 
If. If he keeps catching the ball as he has been and if he stays healthy, then he is the Marshall Faulk type player I have always wanted for the Packers backfield.  Let’s try to hang on to him if these if’s happen. 

45 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

This is an odd take to me.  Can you explain what about this shows him to be better?  All I get from this is the Vikings run Cook more, but they also A) don't have Rodgers at QB and B) don't have a 2nd RB at the level of J. Williams either.  Can you explain how getting more carries for 8 games in a single season is definitive proof a player is better?  Because Jones outproduced Cook on a per touch basis up until 2019, and is clearly gaining productivity.

I like Jones, but as a runner I do think Cook is more talented. Cook has more breakaway speed, more power, and -a little more wiggle. Just watch the tape.

With that said, Jones isn’t too far behind, has been healthier, and is a better receiver.

16 minutes ago, SSG said:

Bell isn't your typical top tier RB.  On top of being a locker room cancer, he's a 27 year old RB who was fresh off sitting on his couch for a full year.  He also had a historic usage rate prior to taking the year off.  Dude's going to be 28 next year and he's looked awful this year.  Yes, paying top dollar for a 27 year old who was ridden into the ground by his prior team is a risky proposition.  

That's like using the example of Antonio Brown and saying it's risky to pay top tier WRs.  

With the top tier RBs being more and more irreplaceable in the passing game I think this is a narrative that is going to change soon enough.  Outside of a couple QBs, there likely isn't a player in the league that is more valuable to his then Christian McCaffrey is too Carolina.  Aaron Jones has been a much bigger factor in this team's success this year than Davante Adams.  I'm not saying he is but we're fresh off a 4 game winning streak that has DA17 looking completely expendable.  You could make the argument that we'd be a 3 or 4 loss team this year without 33.  

You are basing a highly paid Jones on what exactly?  What on his resume equals Gurley, Zeke, Bell or Johnson?

Right now you are advocating paying him as if he is an established elite player.  He isn't.  He is an elite player today after an impressive couple of games.  Not years.

Where is "Vante's contract compared to his peers?  He's #12 on the list of highest paid WR's.  And the WR shelf life is longer than RB.

No one is arguing against paying Jones #12 RB money.  Heck, cut that in half, figuring one RB per team and 2 WR's.  Top 6.

Zeke. Johnson.  Gurley.  Bell.  There's your top tier.

Get him out of that tier is what we are saying.  Give it more time as he's yet to sustain a high level of play.  Going that high up is foolish.  

Seems like a lot of the focus has only been on money and not Jones, the man. He is a humble dude. Remember when he got in trouble and how he handled it. Aaron has said in multiple pressers how he is dedicated to the team and if he messes up will say he owes him one. He is from a military back ground. I'm not saying he won't want a raise, but he also hasn't shown the character of some of the other backs mentioned in the thread. I think he likes Green Bay. I think he likes his teammates. I think he is someone that wants to win, not just make $$$. I think he would sit down and the two sides can come to a deal that would work for both the Packers and Jones. I'm really not worried about it. I definitely want him through another contract though.

1 hour ago, MrBobGray said:

Look at the numbers across the board.  Aside from GP, Dalvin Cook has a pretty healthy lead.  Dalvin Cook is a special back, and he was viewed that way coming out of Florida State.  Aaron Jones wasn't a special player coming out of UTEP.  And all of a sudden some people are talking about paying him elite RB money.  Dalvin Cook has been considerably more consistent.  Dalvin Cook has gone over 100 yards rushing 5 of his 8 games, and 5 of 8 games he's averaged more than 4.5 YPA.  Aaron Jones has gone over 100 yards rushing in 2 out of the 8 games, and averaging 4.5+ YPA in 3 of his 8 games.  Aaron Jones has been good, but Dalvin Cook has been better and more consistent.  Dalvin Cook is Minnesota's offense.

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

You are basing a highly paid Jones on what exactly?  What on his resume equals Gurley, Zeke, Bell or Johnson?

Right now you are advocating paying him as if he is an established elite player.  He isn't.  He is an elite player today after an impressive couple of games.  Not years.

Where is "Vante's contract compared to his peers?  He's #12 on the list of highest paid WR's.  And the WR shelf life is longer than RB.

No one is arguing against paying Jones #12 RB money.  Heck, cut that in half, figuring one RB per team and 2 WR's.  Top 6.

Zeke. Johnson.  Gurley.  Bell.  There's your top tier.

Get him out of that tier is what we are saying.  Give it more time as he's yet to sustain a high level of play.  Going that high up is foolish.  

My wanting to pay Jones is based on the assumption that he stays healthy and continues at his current production rate.  That would be around 1700+ of total yards, 60+ receptions and 15+ TDs.  That is what I believe to be elite production.  

What resume did David Johnson have exactly?  He was a 3rd year pro with one season of quality production under his belt at the time of his contract extension.  He wasn't any more effective than Jones is currently.  The difference is Johnson played in 85% of his team's offensive snaps and Jones is seeing only 60%.  

Davente Adams is currently the #12 paid WR.  At the time of his contract he was the 4th highest paid WR in the NFL despite extremely pedestrian statistics in every receiving stat category but TDs.  

I fully anticipate the RB market to get destroyed so this probably a meaningless conversation.  If Jones stays and continues to produce he'll get paid in the same area as Bell assuming a long term RB is in Green Bay's plans.  There is no chance he  bases his value off a 3 year old contract or that of a career back up like Jerick McKinnon. 

7 minutes ago, SSG said:

My wanting to pay Jones is based on the assumption that he stays healthy and continues at his current production rate.  That would be around 1700+ of total yards, 60+ receptions and 15+ TDs.  That is what I believe to be elite production.  

What resume did David Johnson have exactly?  He was a 3rd year pro with one season of quality production under his belt at the time of his contract extension.  He wasn't any more effective than Jones is currently.  The difference is Johnson played in 85% of his team's offensive snaps and Jones is seeing only 60%.  

Davente Adams is currently the #12 paid WR.  At the time of his contract he was the 4th highest paid WR in the NFL despite extremely pedestrian statistics in every receiving stat category but TDs.  

I fully anticipate the RB market to get destroyed so this probably a meaningless conversation.  If Jones stays and continues to produce he'll get paid in the same area as Bell assuming a long term RB is in Green Bay's plans.  There is no chance he  bases his value off a 3 year old contract or that of a career back up like Jerick McKinnon. 

Okay, I"m following you here.  You say pay him if he continues on his current level.

My question to you...at what level?  On par with the top 4 guys at the position?  Or a clear tier below?

David Johnson was their offense.  Aaron Rodgers is ours.  

I feel like the reason Jones is so effective now is because he is only playing 60% of the snaps.  Give him too much more and he'll break down.  He is not built that way.  How we are using him is kind of perfect.

Your issue is the McKinnon contract versus his prior production.  I get that.  Thought he was an overpay myself.

Also thought Tevin Coleman was an underpay and wished we would have done that.

Tough to pay guys top dollar when Tevin does his thing at a fraction of the price.  I'd argue he's more your comp based on past production and current usage (job share).  And I feel like Jones would fetch more than Coleman...as well he should.

BTW...great discussion on your part.  Thank you.