Colts Jets Draft Trade Revisited.

seriously27

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2019/10/22/sam-darnold-trade-ghosts-jets-colts-trade-may-haunt-new-york-quenton-nelson-rock-yasin/4062034002/

This might be one of the more lopsided trades in recent memory. 

With all final picks made I don't know how good Darnold would have to get to make this a good trade. 

Colts Received:

• OG Quenton Nelson
  • OT Braden Smith
  • DE Kemoko Turay
  • RB Jordan Wilkins 
  • CB Rock Ya-Sin

Jets Received:

• QB Sam Darnold 

1 hour ago, seriously27 said:

With all final picks made I don't know how good Darnold would have to get to make this a good trade. 

He has to become a good franchise QB to make that trade worth it. Too soon to say he's not going to. He's still very early in his career and the Jets have to add a lot to his supporting cast.

• Like 3

Lopsided in number of picks or value? Nelson is a baller but a franchise QB is definitely worth more.

Are you inferring he's a bust? Sam is 22, has faced the top two defenses in the league out of the 4 games he's played, and undoubtedly has the worst OL in the league. The only QB in a worse situation is Rosen.

8 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

Lopsided in number of picks or value? Nelson is a baller but a franchise QB is definitely worth more.

Are you inferring he's a bust? Sam is 22, has faced the top two defenses in the league out of the 4 games he's played, and undoubtedly has the worst OL in the league. The only QB in a worse situation is Rosen.

In hindsight, the Jets are better off right now if they drafted Nelson and Smith to fix the OL issues and just stuck with Teddy Bridgewater as the starter. No one will care about this trade if Darnold turns into a top 10 QB. Anything less will likely be criticized.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

In hindsight, the Jets are better off right now if they drafted Nelson and Smith to fix the OL issues and just stuck with Teddy Bridgewater as the starter. No one will care about this trade if Darnold turns into a top 10 QB. Anything less will likely be criticized.

No they wouldn't, not even close.  Sam's story is far from closed.  It looks worse because of how nicely Ballard has done in INDY and how poorly Mac did in NY.  Obviously since one is out of a job and the other is in the running for GM of the year.

39 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

No they wouldn't, not even close.  Sam's story is far from closed.  It looks worse because of how nicely Ballard has done in INDY and how poorly Mac did in NY.  Obviously since one is out of a job and the other is in the running for GM of the year.

giphy.gif

And it's picked.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

Definitely not saying he is a bust. Just that the trade value is extremely lopsided right now on the other side and I was looking for people's opinions on how good he would have to be to make the trade fair. 

This is assuming the players picked are the same and not assuming the Jets GM would have blew the picks.  

6 minutes ago, seriously27 said:

Definitely not saying he is a bust. Just that the trade value is extremely lopsided right now on the other side and I was looking for people's opinions on how good he would have to be to make the trade fair. 

This is assuming the players picked are the same and not assuming the Jets GM would have blew the picks.  

It's not even lopsided - yet alone extremely lopsided. Only 1/5 of those Colts are considered extraordinary players; 2/5 starters. Darnold might not be considered extraordinary yet, but he plays at the game's most valued position and has tons of potential.

16 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

It's not even lopsided - yet alone extremely lopsided. Only 1/5 of those Colts are considered extraordinary players; 2/5 starters. Darnold might not be considered extraordinary yet, but he plays at the game's most valued position and has tons of potential.

Disagree.

Smith made the NFL all rookie team as well and is only over-shadowed by how good Nelson is. Turay was our starter and a very good player before he was injured this year. Ya-Sin is also our starting cb with Desir being injured. 

You can continue to say things like "premium position" and "tons of potential" but these players are some of the main reasons the colts are winning and have already reached high levels of their potential in the same amount of time. So at what point does the premium position and potential not mean anything if said player just doesn't get better? 

I'm going to edit this to add that I don't think Darnold is a bad qb  and I think the FO is really doing him zero favors. 

Edited by seriously27

2 hours ago, Howler said:

It looks far worse because MacCagnan never drafted an offensive linemen inside of the 4th round. 

Might be one of the worst gms ever. He set us back big time.

Id do the trade again, Darnold is gonna to be good unless they ruin him because we have a amazingly bad ol and no wrs. Le'veon bell  needs to make highlight real runs to get 2-3 yards. 

Any qb getting sacked 8 times hit 14 is going to start pushinh it to try to win a game with a bad team.

Damien woody on Twitter even said this is the worst ol play hes ever seen.

Often darnold would make correct presnap reads smd guys still miss it. Adam Gase as a hc has been a disaster as well, besides getting maccagnan fired.

I more upset that they passed on our need for a stud edge (josh Allen) for another interior dl. Maccagnan was clueless on how to construct a roster. now we need to blow it up and hope Douglas knows how to build a roster that can compete.

Right now at 22 yrs old, Darnold is asked to win games, Leveon cant even get going. He was pressing to bring them back in a game they were down, he needs to stop pressing and he'll be fine. His accuracy is there, its just dumb throws. The Patriots game was just a over matching by greatness vs a bad team and young qb.

22 minutes ago, seriously27 said:

Disagree.

Smith made the NFL all rookie team as well and is only over-shadowed by how good Nelson is. Turay was our starter and a very good player before he was injured this year. Ya-Sin is also our starting cb with Desir being injured. 

You can continue to say things like "premium position" and "tons of potential" but these players are some of the main reasons the colts are winning and have already reached high levels of their potential in the same amount of time. So at what point does the premium position and potential not mean anything if said player just doesn't get better? 

I'm going to edit this to add that I don't think Darnold is a bad qb  and I think the FO is really doing him zero favors. 

The All-Rookie team isn't the same as being a great player. Just means you're better than the other rookies. Turay isn't listed as a starter and being on IR does nothing for your team or his current value. Ya-Sin is a starter because everyone else went down, then got embarrassed (according to the news I read). QN is the only guy tipping the scales here, and I'd still rather have Darnold.

While all those players might contribute to a win for the Colts, Sam was the key reason for the Jets sole win this season. No Sam, no win. Can you say the same for all 5 of your players?

And I don't see how Sam is supposed to "reach his potential" in 18 games. That's just insane. He play's the toughest position to adjust to coming from college to the NFL, and he's done it without an OL, without a top flight WR, and while facing some of the best teams in the league.

2 hours ago, seriously27 said:

Disagree.

Who cares ... you need a QB. If you don't have one then you need to devote a lot of resources into looking for one. Its that simple. If Darnold becomes a legit franchise QB for the Jets then the amount of picks they gave up really doesn't matter because the trade makes it far far more likely they win the superbowl one day.  If he doesn't become a legit franchise QB then they keep looking.