Kenyan Drake traded to the Cards

flyguy1609

30 minutes ago, Art_Vandalay said:

Good trad for the Cards. Can he pick up even a small percentage of the offense in 3 days though?

Given the O is such a spread attack, it's mostly a case of knowing your spots and most importantly, the pass pro assignment.

Practically, given that DJ / Edmonds / DJ Foster are out, the only guys left just arrived, so I doubt it makes much of a difference.   They are all learning on the fly.

36 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I have to think so. RB is easy. Just get the ball and run. I mean, I don't expect him to have the entire playbook in 3 days, but he'll play and might get 10-15 touches. 

We had Zenner for about a week and he had no idea what he was doing, especially in pass pro. 

38 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Weird trade for the Cardinals though... this is the last year on his deal, so unless the Cardinals see him being in their long term plans or still think they can make the playoffs at 3-4-1, I'm not quite sure what their angle is.

He seems like a really good complimentary back to David Johnson(if he ever gets it back). Maybe they're looking to re-sign him?  

1 hour ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Not bad for a player who wasn't going to resign with us, indeed.

Plus Mia has a ton of cap room and needs to meet the floor.  Drake FA signing would never net a comp pick given it would be cancelled out.   So they get a pick a year earlier and don’t have to worry about signings canceling out the return.  

GM Grier has done a fantastic job maxing out return given they will be spenders.  

Edited by Broncofan

Weird trade for the Cardinals though... this is the last year on his deal, so unless the Cardinals see him being in their long term plans or still think they can make the playoffs at 3-4-1, I'm not quite sure what their angle is.

They may not be spending much in FA so they’d be getting a comp pick in that scenario in 2021.  So it’s close to a free replacement.   

Also don’t forget GM Steve Keim is on the hot seat this year.  His Extreme DUI and Steve Wilks / Mike McCoy hire-and-fire had him on the firing line.   Even a .500 season has value to him saving his job.  May not be the best for the org but stuff like this matters way more than we appreciate.  

Edited by Broncofan

I think we'll see David Johnson on the block some time this off-season. Incredibly versatile player with some high end production, but simply can't stay healthy. 

If you can fetch a 2nd for DJ and offset his production with Edmunds and Drake going forward, you're sitting very pretty.

BTW the conditional 5th isn’t ARI’s - it’s MIA’s traded to ARI as part of the Rosen deal.  So it’s a top 2 pick at the top of Rd5. Not quite a 4th but pretty close if the conditions are reasonable.  

Well done by GM Grier given the hand he was dealt.  

Edited by Broncofan