Current State of the Franchise

SmittyBacall

The Bengals could get a first-round pick for injured receiver A.J. Green -- an unrestricted free agent at season's end who won't be back there -- but owner Mike Brown refuses to entertain the idea, sources said. The Bengals were also getting repeated calls about Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap, Tyler Eifert and Drew Kirkpatrick, sources said, but at this point some general managers aren't even sure if they're going to check back in next week given the way the Bengals have responded to this point.

"They are basically philosophically opposed to the idea of making trades," said one NFC GM. "It's a waste of time to call them. But we did. And it is what it is. You may as well be speaking a different language."

That’s true, this time of year they are opposed to trading away players. As sources have explained to me, the team’s opinion on the matter comes down to three simple facts:

1. It’s not their job to make other teams better.

2. People might not think they should, but they care a lot about winning football games this year.

3. They don’t want to get rid of their truly valuable players.

What kind of twisted, outdated philosophy are we implementing? How can a team be so blind to their own repetitively unsuccessful, self-inflicting habits? What is the point of trying to win 4 meaningless games this year? Is it a feeble attempt to adopt a winning mentality in the face perpetual mediocrity? Is it an attempt to put people in the seats at Paul Brown? Why must we keep sacrificing potential long-term success for mediocrity in the short term?

Any reasonable team would understand it is in the best interest of the franchise to admit defeat on a lost season and try to acquire draft capitol where available; even if it means losing out on guys that can help us short term. With the state of our roster we are a good 2 or 3 years away, depending on the development of the QB we hopefully draft in 2020. Players who can't contribute to the team beyond then should be considered movable. It makes much more sense to sell them at their peak value now. 

I am not saying we should take less than market value for our players, but if a fair offer comes in it should be very much considered. You can't sit there and tell me this team is trying everything they can to win a Super Bowl. I'm just not buying it. It's depressing that this is the way the FO functions. Going 8-8 every year is plenty enough for the Brown family. Anything more requires sacrifice of outdated values and financial gain by fielding a side that keeps the fan base disinterested. 

Glad I got that out of my system. Happy Monday everyone.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-trade-deadline-bengals-redskins-frustrating-other-teams-with-stubborn-no-sell-stance/

Edited by SmittyBacall
  • Like 1

It is what it is. At the end of the day, this is just entertainment, and I refuse to let them get me worked up anymore. I’ll still watch as it’s kind of entertaining to see how bad we are and the dumb decisions that are made. 

Honestly, the Taylor hire has not been good. His play calling is ridiculous. That 4th and goal call to throw to Stanley Morgan against Jalen ramsey short of the goal line was terrible. 

The defensive coordinator and oline coach gotta go as well. 3rd and long on the 1 yard like just before half and we play prevent defense? Are we trying to play to win? We would have gotten the ball back in good field position with 1 T.O. Remaining. Just really head scratching calls. 

The front office is what it is. Our only hope is after Mike Brown passes is that Katie sells the team or hires a GM. 

Rumors are that nothing more than a 4th has been offered for anyone.   I struggle to think of any instance where trading a good player for a 4th rounder has helped a team get to contention.  Honestly,  trading away good players rarely benefits the team that trades the player.  Particularly when the player has not shown interest in being traded. 

5 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

I struggle to think of any instance where trading a good player for a 4th rounder has helped a team get to contention.

It's more about the stubbornness of not wanting to move that player given the circumstances of the team currently. The present state of the roster will not put you in contention. Investing in the future at least gives you a fighting chance that we some day will. It's all about investing in that winning window 2-4 years down the line. That 4th round pick could be Geno Atkins or it could be Marcus Hardison. It doesn't matter because either way it's a better option than keeping along the same path we're going down. 

Keeping Eifert for the year to help a losing cause doesn't move the team towards that goal. He's 29 years old, oft-injured, on an expiring contract, barely features in an offense that doesn't utilize tight ends, and will likely walk after this year regardless - in which we'd likely net a 6th round comp pick. There are a litany of playoff teams looking for TE help right now. Why hold onto him when there is a market to be taken advantage of? Why not take that 4th round pick?

I guess I also don't consider Eifert a good player anymore.  I'd be shocked if they get a 4th for him. But moving him makes sense,  since it would open up time for the guys that they have at the position who should be contributing in a few years.  It's more your quality veterans (geno, aj, Dunlap) who I think should be treated well and are probably worth more as players and teammates than that 4th rounder and certainly a  young guy like William Jackson who has been mentioned as a guy teams ask after should be held onto since he's got many years ahead of him.  If they get any offers for Cordy, take it,  because otherwise you look petty. Anyone who currently is playing though,  you would have to balance long term on field play and locker room contributions vs whatever compensation comes.  I agree moving Eifert makes sense as it opens more time for 2 guys they apparently like. Anyone beyond that,  I would have to see the return before I would call it an obvious move.

• Like 2

Mike Brown is the poster child for the Dunning-Kruger effect. It's a characteristic of incompetent people to think they are actually competent. So it's always the weather or injuries or bad bounces that prevent us from getting to round 2 of the playoffs for 28 years and counting. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Mike Brown is the poster child for the Dunning-Kruger effect. It's a characteristic of incompetent people to think they are actually competent. So it's always the weather or injuries or bad bounces that prevent us from getting to round 2 of the playoffs for 28 years and counting. 

Correct. Every year it’s “well if so and so didn’t get injured we would have done better”. I think we might have won a game or two by this point with a fully healthy team, but the overall coaching has really not helped. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Let's hope so.

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

Supposedly Cordy is going to move

I can't wait to hear about how the Bengals were offered a 2nd round pick for Cordy, but just couldn't make it happen before the deadline.  It will make for nice post-dinner reading tonight.

• Like 2