Current State of the Franchise

SmittyBacall

14 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

Raiders are way behind us in any realistic rebuild.  

Wha?

They look good this year. Plus they have the Bears first round pick in 2020, which is looking more and more like a possible top 10 pick. I'm not even a fan of Gruden per se, but the future looks bright in Oakland.

On 11/5/2019 at 8:09 AM, SmittyBacall said:

Wha?

They look good this year. Plus they have the Bears first round pick in 2020, which is looking more and more like a possible top 10 pick. I'm not even a fan of Gruden per se, but the future looks bright in Oakland.

I'm in Cozumel this week.  My thoughts are likely less coherent than usual.  Which is saying something. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

I'm 80% certain we're going to let him walk for a comp pick.

Proof that the Bengals really can screw anything up.

Also, i hate comp picks.  With a burning passion.  This team cares way too much about something, and builds their entire roster construction program, over a thing has a very small impact on the overall results of how good a team is.

2 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

I'm 80% certain we're going to let him walk for a comp pick.

Tag and trade him then.  He will be healthy by then.  If he's mad about not being extended by then, who cares if he's mad that he got tagged?  Or use the low end franchise tag (non-exclusive rights) Then let him sign elsewhere for the first.

If Sanu was worth a 2nd round pick to a contender, then AJ is worth a 1st. If we tag him and someone else signs him, we'd get 2 first round picks for him. Unless we agree to take less in a tag and trade deal, but those require creativity beyond what the Bengals possess. 

It seems hard to believe he's still out from a rolled ankle on the first day of camp. Maybe it's like Richie Braham's bone bruise. It seems like he isn't going to play this season. I'd guess the Bengals tag him, don't trade him, and don't reach a deal on an extension by next July.

2 hours ago, theJ said:

Proof that the Bengals really can screw anything up.

Also, i hate comp picks.  With a burning passion.  This team cares way too much about something, and builds their entire roster construction program, over a thing has a very small impact on the overall results of how good a team is.

Comp 0icks are great when they are for a solid player that you can replace for a lot less. Less so when it's for a guy that you could have gotten better for at the trade and is an all time team great. 

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

If Sanu was worth a 2nd round pick to a contender, then AJ is worth a 1st. If we tag him and someone else signs him, we'd get 2 first round picks for him. Unless we agree to take less in a tag and trade deal, but those require creativity beyond what the Bengals possess. 

It seems hard to believe he's still out from a rolled ankle on the first day of camp. Maybe it's like Richie Braham's bone bruise. It seems like he isn't going to play this season. I'd guess the Bengals tag him, don't trade him, and don't reach a deal on an extension by next July.

He basically said today it won't heal properly unless he shuts it down for a month. Then someone asked if he's going to shut it down and he said no. 

So yeah he's not going to play lol. 

1 hour ago, Beck Bristow said:

Comp 0icks are great when they are for a solid player that you can replace for a lot less. Less so when it's for a guy that you could have gotten better for at the trade and is an all time team great. 

They should be treated as a nice reward when they happen to be awarded. Roster moves shouldn't be planned around them. It's idiotic.  

Joe Goodberry tweeted (can't find it now, might have deleted it), that him and Ben Albright had a conversation during the Senior Bowl about Zac Taylor.  Albright said he's a smart young head coach but that his first year is going to be really rough because he's not ready yet.  It's showing in a big way year one.  Having a subpar staff (OL and DC) doesn't help either. That said, having a #1 overall pick and the first pick of the 2nd and 3rd rounds should help this team amass some talent.  We lost out on 'our guy' several times over the past few drafts but we're in a much better spot for a team that rarely makes any deals on draft day.

This looks like bottom, but I'm hoping we stick with Zac for 2-3 more years at least to give him a fair chance...

36 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

Joe Goodberry tweeted (can't find it now, might have deleted it), that him and Ben Albright had a conversation during the Senior Bowl about Zac Taylor.  Albright said he's a smart young head coach but that his first year is going to be really rough because he's not ready yet.  It's showing in a big way year one.  Having a subpar staff (OL and DC) doesn't help either. That said, having a #1 overall pick and the first pick of the 2nd and 3rd rounds should help this team amass some talent.  We lost out on 'our guy' several times over the past few drafts but we're in a much better spot for a team that rarely makes any deals on draft day.

This looks like bottom, but I'm hoping we stick with Zac for 2-3 more years at least to give him a fair chance...

i think he'll pick up the X's and O's, no problem.  I'm more worried long term that he'll never learn how to pick staff.  I get he has to back the guys he has now, so we're not likely to get a real transparent answer.  But he has to can Turner this offseason.  I'm a little more forgiving of the defensive staff, to some degree.  But there's talent there, and they're all playing like garbage.  So some change there is probably also required.