Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SmittyBacall

Current State of the Franchise

Recommended Posts

37 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

Joe Goodberry tweeted (can't find it now, might have deleted it), that him and Ben Albright had a conversation during the Senior Bowl about Zac Taylor.  Albright said he's a smart young head coach but that his first year is going to be really rough because he's not ready yet.  It's showing in a big way year one.  Having a subpar staff (OL and DC) doesn't help either. That said, having a #1 overall pick and the first pick of the 2nd and 3rd rounds should help this team amass some talent.  We lost out on 'our guy' several times over the past few drafts but we're in a much better spot for a team that rarely makes any deals on draft day.

This looks like bottom, but I'm hoping we stick with Zac for 2-3 more years at least to give him a fair chance...

I'm okay with riding Taylor out for a few seasons as we keep acquiring talent via the draft. He's obviously inexperienced and will hopefully learn as he gets more seasons under his belt. I'm not expecting us to contend for awhile. 2-3 years of picking in and around the top 10, like the Niners have, and then putting it all together seems to be our best route to future success. We just need to hit on those picks and stop drafting for need. I wish we would just invest on a proper scouting department to maximize the chances of us actually building through the draft. If we're going to limit ourselves to not signing significant free agents, the least we can do is invest money there. 

I know it's early in the scouting process, but I really think Burrow has what it takes to be a great QB. I'm hoping he's the foundation piece to our future success. That being said, I also really like Tua and wouldn't be upset if we went that direction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

I know it's early in the scouting process, but I really think Burrow has what it takes to be a great QB. I'm hoping he's the foundation piece to our future success. That being said, I also really like Tua and wouldn't be upset if we went that direction.

I still have Tua ranked higher than Burrow but it's close.  I hope we get to see Burrow against that Ohio State defense...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Joe Goodberry tweeted (can't find it now, might have deleted it), that him and Ben Albright had a conversation during the Senior Bowl about Zac Taylor.  Albright said he's a smart young head coach but that his first year is going to be really rough because he's not ready yet.  It's showing in a big way year one.  Having a subpar staff (OL and DC) doesn't help either. That said, having a #1 overall pick and the first pick of the 2nd and 3rd rounds should help this team amass some talent.  We lost out on 'our guy' several times over the past few drafts but we're in a much better spot for a team that rarely makes any deals on draft day.

This looks like bottom, but I'm hoping we stick with Zac for 2-3 more years at least to give him a fair chance...

I think this is exactly the wrong way to think. We don't owe Taylor 2-3 more years. He's been given a chance and so far isn't taking advantage of it. If he doesn't win at least 3 games, he should be one and done. We can find an experienced NFL coach to recycle if the Brown family is willing to pay. That's not a given from the folks who took Billy Price instead of Lamar Jackson and John Ross instead of Patrick Mahomes or Deshaun Watson. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

I think this is exactly the wrong way to think. We don't owe Taylor 2-3 more years. He's been given a chance and so far isn't taking advantage of it. If he doesn't win at least 3 games, he should be one and done. We can find an experienced NFL coach to recycle if the Brown family is willing to pay. That's not a given from the folks who took Billy Price instead of Lamar Jackson and John Ross instead of Patrick Mahomes or Deshaun Watson. 

Taylor is trying different things, and while it's not working currently I'm good with experimenting.  I was more than done with the safe route in Marvin.  Pulling the plug after one season makes zero sense to me, unless you have a great candidate available.  Which with this franchise isn't happening...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

Taylor is trying different things, and while it's not working currently I'm good with experimenting.  I was more than done with the safe route in Marvin.  Pulling the plug after one season makes zero sense to me, unless you have a great candidate available.  Which with this franchise isn't happening...

I agree.  I'm all about the sunk cost fallacy and cutting bait even when it feels bad, but to me i'd give Zac another season or two even if he's 0-16 this year.  I think he's done enough promising things to warrant another look.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Huh? What promising things? He's the guy who puts the team in the shotgun on 3rd and 1.

And Marvin would have them in a 2TE 1FB alignment. This is progress. 

I like some (not all) of the personnel decisions he's made. I like that they're not afraid to play the best player, even if that means benching a vet. 

They're playing a modern NFL scheme, and while they're not exactly executing it well, the structure is there to be successful. Especially if they have a more dynamic QB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We should absolutely give Taylor at least 3 seasons.  Unless he keeps Jim Turner, then they can all go.  How are you going to attract good candidates if they think they are going to get the hook after 1 late starting meddled with year?  It's not like we can fire Taylor and bring in Belichek.  Right after our last game, fire Turner and anyone else they think needs to go and go get the older Callahan for OL.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m more interested in bringing in players from good teams that know how to win. They don’t need to be the best of the best, but that’s how you create a winning atmosphere. Right now our team is comprised of drafted players or players brought in from losing organizations. Hell, I’d even bring in a Phillip rivers for a year to help teach Joe Burrow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

I’m more interested in bringing in players from good teams that know how to win. They don’t need to be the best of the best, but that’s how you create a winning atmosphere. Right now our team is comprised of drafted players or players brought in from losing organizations. 

I don't really buy into that all that. As long as the player is effective at their position and want to win, I don't care what team they used to play for. We can build our own winning atmosphere by fielding good players.

10 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

Hell, I’d even bring in a Phillip rivers for a year to help teach Joe Burrow. 

Yuck, no thanks. I think I'd rather bring Andy back. I also doubt Rivers would go for that. If his only option is going to be a one-year bridge QB he'd probably rather do it in LA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that the Bengals would not be where they are now if they had gotten rid of Lewis sooner, like after the playoff loss to Pittsburgh 4 seasons ago.

That way, the Bengals might have been able to lure Brian Kelly from Notre Dame (in a return to the city where he almost got the Bearcats to the BCS title game), and they'd still be contenders now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, pf9 said:

I think that the Bengals would not be where they are now if they had gotten rid of Lewis sooner, like after the playoff loss to Pittsburgh 4 seasons ago.

That way, the Bengals might have been able to lure Brian Kelly from Notre Dame (in a return to the city where he almost got the Bearcats to the BCS title game), and they'd still be contenders now.

I would have made the move to Zimmer,  but yes I think we missed the timing on moving on from a  coach. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Beck Bristow said:

I would have made the move to Zimmer,  but yes I think we missed the timing on moving on from a  coach. 

Agreed. It was the risky, but probably correct move. They didn't have the guts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw this the other day. Turns out we're the least penalized team in the NFL through 13 weeks. So we got that going for us, which is nice. Pretty good company at the top too, coaching wise. 

Top 5:

1. Cincinnati (Taylor)

2. Indianapolis (Reich)

3. San Francisco (Shanahan)

4. New York Giants (Shurmur)

5. New England (Belichek)

 

Bottom 5:

1. Jacksonville (Marrone)

2. Cleveland (Kitchens)

3. Oakland (Gruden)

4. Detroit (Patricia)

5. Tampa Bay (Arians)

 

https://www.nflpenalties.com/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...