(Poll) The Coaching Search that Wasn't: A Brief Review of Foolery

Mind Character

Is there a Record that Gets Freddie Fired after 1 year?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. (In Reality) Is there a Record that Actually Gets Freddie Fired after 1 year?

• Yes; 5-11 and Truckstop Jimmy time is Nigh
    • Yes; 6-10
    • Yes; 7-9 with the wrong losses and poor performances
    • Yes; 8-8 with the wrong losses and poor performances
  2. 2. Is there a Record that Would Make You Personally Believe that We Have to Fire Freddie?

• Yes; 5-11
    • Yes; 6-10
    • Yes; 7-9 with the wrong losses and poor performances
    • Yes; 8-8 with the wrong losses and poor performances
    • No; we've been through firing 1st year head coaches before and look what that got us ;we should stay the course

1.) Gregg Williams, 2.) Brian Flores, 3.) Matt Eberflus, 4.) Jim Caldwell, 5.) Kevin Stefanski, 6.) Dan Campbell, 7.) Freddie Kitchens, 8.) Requested to interview but did not formally interview Nick Sirianni

I said it at the the time so it's not hindsight bias, "Setting aside the college HC candidates, I just find it really really hard to believe that given the massive resources of the Haslams, the expertise within the personnel department, as well as the early start that we got on this coaching search that the above 7 men were the only and best qualified candidates for what is the most important coaching hire decision for this ascending team/organization in."

It made no sense to me at the time.

The only way to make sense of the less than impressive candidate pool was by realizing 2 things: 1.) John Dorsey likely wanted to hire a first time coach who couldn't challenge his power and/or gain leverage to fire him like Andy Reid in KC, AND 2.) Key decision makers saw Freddie as their guy early and sought to interview candidates closer to his level of recent coordinator experience.

I was hoping for Eberflus and Stefanski at the time, but even they were unimpressive given the type of next level Program leader this team needed.

--------------------------------

Freddie's job will be saved by the cakewalk schedule in the 2nd half of the season so we could possibly be going into next season with a Coach the fanbase and potentially players don't believe in. Or maybe the wins against cakewalk teams gives Freddie the momentum and buy-in  from the players necessary to elevate his coaching our perception of his coaching. Maybe he'll morph into a great coach in time.

Only time will tell; however, it was true then and it is true now imo that the "coaching search" was beyond lackluster in terms of finding a true Program leader with elite football intelligence/creativity/genius.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 2

I don't think Freddie is good, but I also think he doesn't get sacked this year no matter what is record is. I kind of think the only positive approach you can take out of this is that the wait and see approach is somehow right and he's just bad year one, then great the rest of recorded history. Doubtful, but we'll see. 

• Like 2

I liked his gameplan.  He is still a buffoon when it comes to game management, but we had the formula to win that game.  Freddie isn't the reason Chubb fumbles twice.  The shovel pass is dumb, but a smarter QB takes the sack or maybe Bitonio shouldn't have gotten blown the hell up.  It's not really his fault the refs don't respect us and penalize us at every turn for stuff that doesn't need to be called.  It was the wrong hire, but people are blaming him for everything and it's ridiculous.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

I liked his gameplan.  He is still a buffoon when it comes to game management, but we had the formula to win that game.  Freddie isn't the reason Chubb fumbles twice.  The shovel pass is dumb, but a smarter QB takes the sack or maybe Bitonio shouldn't have gotten blown the hell up.  It's not really his fault the refs don't respect us and penalize us at every turn for stuff that doesn't need to be called.  It was the wrong hire, but people are blaming him for everything and it's ridiculous.

Agreed. His game plans sucked at the beginning of the season but have gotten better as the season has gone on, IMO. But he's still made some baffling decisions at times this year. Hopefully he's able to learn from them, but only time will tell. But yes, people blaming him for our past two losses are being dumb. I have no problem people blaming him for our loss vs San Francisco, though. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

The shovel pass was a dumbfounding play call given the circumstances.

Raining, already fumbled twice.... why run a high risk play like that.

Yet none of those things were the reason it failed.  It failed because the interior defender ran through Bitonio and jumped it. 

You can't coach the rest of the game afraid of the weather or else you have no shot.  Nobody is complaining we still gave the ball to Chubb after he fumbled twice.  You'd honestly hope Mayfield would be aware enough not to shovel pass it directly into the defenders hands.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

The shovel pass was a dumbfounding play call given the circumstances.

Raining, already fumbled twice.... why run a high risk play like that.

High risk play?  It’s an underhand toss to a dude a couple feet away.

How much safer can you make it?

Literally the only safer option is handing it to someone, and they managed to turn it over twice doing that too.

• Like 1

In a strange way, perhaps akin to the pleasure/pain felt by self harming, I enjoyed the shovel pass.

It was the most Browns thing possible in the moment, ripping out both your heart and soul with a speed and efficiency that shouldn't be possible in this dimension.

One day lifeforms from across the multiverse will travel through space and time to witness it. Or they'll watch it on YouTube.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

None of those other options tickles my fancy 

Honestly the only other person I would want is McCarthy if that ship hasn't sailed already. This team is in desperate need of veteran guidance from a HC that knows how to maximize the talent.

Freddie hasn't been great but like others have said, he can't control half of the things happening like bad reads, missed assignments and fumbles. He is a overly aggressive game manager though when sometimes we just need to relax and take what's there instead of always going for the moon.

• Like 1